JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The one BIG difference with women is I have yet to see one "claim" she was "expert" and not be able to shoot. I have lost track of the men who would talk what a great shot they were who could not stay on paper when you get to the range with them. If some gal tells me she can shoot I tend to believe they can. When some guy tells me he is a great shot I tend to need to see it first hand before I take it with a lot of salt :D
Interesting observation, @Alexx1401 . I can make a guess for why this might be true. For many men, being able to protect themselves and their families using a gun is interwoven with their identity as men. They think of themselves as more genuinely masculine by virtue of their willingness and ability to defend self, family, and country. So a declaration of ability to shoot is a bit like a gorilla beating his chest. Its a masculine display. And when its just talking about shooting, a guy can exaggerate his abilities and thus projected image of masculinity.

I think even for women who shoot well and have learned to protect ourselves and others, being able to do so is usually not really essential to our identity as women. As a kiddie I enjoyed all sports that involved aiming and throwing, such as basketball and softball as well as shooting. Shooting was just another aiming sport to me. Only after I had chased off one would-be home invader and another would-be rapist of a woman in the parking lot behind my rooming house, only after finding myself comfortable hiking and camping alone when almost all other women did so only with others did my ability and willingness to protect when needed become part of my essential identity. And even to this day its not an essential part of my identity as a woman.

In case anyone wonders, I believe that a greater drive on average, to protect family, tribe, and territory on the part of human males compared with females is a virtue , and one I applaud. Just as women's greater tendency on average to nurture is a virtue I also applaud. And there is considerable overlap. So there's me, who was the one who protected the little kids from bullies in grade school. And there are a lot of men who are way more nurturing than I even on my best day and their worst.

Just recently a young man who is a friend of mine expressed an interest in learning to shoot. Covid or riots related? No. He had grown up in urban places in california with no exposure to guns and recently moved to oregon, but that wasnt the reason either. He just acquired a girlfriend. He wants to settle down and have a family and was actually actively looking for the right woman. When he announced he wanted to learn to shoot, that told me this was the woman he's going to marry and raise a family with. Because suddenly he cares much more about being able to protect. In case the happy lilt in his voice left any doubts. For any of you who feel cynical about those learning to shoot and buying their first guns now, remember my friend, who is now getting ready to marry and start a family, and who wants to learn how to protect them. And who plans to learn from his friend me.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads