JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
To be honest, I've yet to be disappointed with a savage bolt action rifle (at least over the last 10 years).

Today I had a chance to take out one that's been sitting in the box for well over a year. Everything is factory except for the fact I took a dremel and hogged out any and all high spots in the stock that might have had a chance at making contact with the barrel.

Slapped an inexpensive SWFA SS fixed 20 power scope on it, bore sighted it at 25 yds and proceeded to lay down some factory 55gr fmj Ammo before moving on to some heavier 77gr pills.

At first I wasn't super impressed, but after putting about 15-20 rounds through it, things started to tighten up. By the end I had gotten into my favorite tailored load for the other savage .223 I've had for several years (some Nosler 77gr pills).

The last two groups I had to walk downrange to make sure I wasn't missing something. Suffice it to say I was fairly pleased with the last two 3-shot groups.

I've got an aftermarket Boyds stock to place it in but I wanted to see if it was going to be a shooter before placing it in the stock. Now I'm kind of afraid to replace it! :D

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last Edited:
To be honest, I've yet to be disappointed with a savage bolt action rifle (at least over the last 10 years).

Today I had a chance to take out one that's been sitting in the box for well over a year. Everything is factory except for the fact I took a dremel and hogged out any and all high spots that might have had a chance at making contact with the barrel.

Slapped an inexpensive SWFA SS fixed 20 power scope on it, bore sighted it at 25 yds and proceeded to lay down some factory 55gr fmj Ammo before moving on to some heavier 77gr pills.

At first I wasn't super impressed, but after putting about 15-20 rounds through it, things started to tighten up. By the end I had gotten into my favorite tailored load for the other savage .223 I've had for several years (some Nosler 77gr pills).

The last two groups I had to walk downrange to make sure I wasn't missing something. Suffice it to say I was fairly pleased with the last two 3-shot groups.

I've got an aftermarket Boyds stock to place it in but I wanted to see if it was going to be a shooter before placing it in the stock. Now I'm kind of afraid to replace it! :D

View attachment 768605 View attachment 768606 View attachment 768607 View attachment 768608 View attachment 768609 View attachment 768610
yep. always been a fan of savage bolt action rifles that have the 10/110 receiver.

Savage rifles are amazing for the money. I had one and like an idiot sold it. Dead nuts accurate.

Savage rifles are amazing for the money. I had one and like an idiot sold it. Dead nuts accurate.
Yeah this was a Cabela's special. I think it was less than $400.

My other savage was a Dicks special about 10 years ago roughly. I think with all of the discounts plus me applying for a credit card, I walked out with that one for about $325 if memory serves. Oh, and It shot the same size group with that exact same load. :D

i put a 10T barrel on my 11 trophy hunter xp in 308. the barrels are stupid easy to swap and headspace
That's one thing I've never messed with is swapping the savage barrels, but as you mentioned, I've read they're very easy to swap out.

My son just installed the Savage 12FV I bought for him a few years ago into a chassis, and it shot the Nosler 175 gr RDF bullet with IMR-4064 so well, he decided to use it for deer this season. He was pretty happy with this afternoon's result on the final day of the season. He could only see the neck and head at 250 yards, one shot sitting off shooting sticks.
3E357B0A-160F-4A97-B795-B4E0C3843386.jpeg

That's one thing I've never messed with is swapping the savage barrels, but as you mentioned, I've read they're very easy to swap out.
i made my own barrel vise blocks out of wood took a bottle jack and dana60 differential spreading tool as a frame essentially making a mini press on my work bench. it was legit, i promise. i did buy both the savage barrel nut tools for smooth or slotted barrel nuts. easy peasy

Just did a barrel swap on my 12 FV. It was originally a .223, now it's a 6.5 Creedmoor :cool:. As noted, it couldn't have been easier, and my "new" rifle ended up costing me just over $200 :D. I've only had it out twice since the swap, but it's looking like it's still a shooter, my shooting partner and I were consistently whacking an 8" steel gong at 400 yards with Hornady Match 140 gr. ELD-M's last time out. Don't know when I'll be able to get out again, but I'll be putting together some test loads in anticipation. Great rifles, I'm even a fan of the Accu-trigger that so many folks like to hate on. Later.

Dave

Just did a barrel swap on my 12 FV. It was originally a .223, now it's a 6.5 Creedmoor :cool:. As noted, it couldn't have been easier, and my "new" rifle ended up costing me just over $200 :D. I've only had it out twice since the swap, but it's looking like it's still a shooter, my shooting partner and I were consistently whacking an 8" steel gong at 400 yards with Hornady Match 140 gr. ELD-M's last time out. Don't know when I'll be able to get out again, but I'll be putting together some test loads in anticipation. Great rifles, I'm even a fan of the Accu-trigger that so many folks like to hate on. Later.

Dave
So the action was big enough to do this swap?

.223 and Creedmoor are both short action, just needed to change out the bolt head, another thing that's really easy (and cheap) with Savage's. Only glitch was the extractor, I swapped my original over to the new bolt head. It turns out the .223 extractor has a slightly longer tail, long enough that it was hitting the chamber wall and making it really hard to get it to jump the case rim. Once I diagnosed what the problem was, it only took a couple of minutes with Dr. Dremel to get it running flawlessly. Like I said, it's a shooter, my first outing it was holding sub-MOA with 4 out of 5 factory loads. Can't wait to start loading for it, I'm hoping to try it out at 1000 yards at the Chelan range next spring. Later.

Dave

.223 and Creedmoor are both short action, just needed to change out the bolt head, another thing that's really easy (and cheap) with Savage's. Only glitch was the extractor, I swapped my original over to the new bolt head. It turns out the .223 extractor has a slightly longer tail, long enough that it was hitting the chamber wall and making it really hard to get it to jump the case rim. Once I diagnosed what the problem was, it only took a couple of minutes with Dr. Dremel to get it running flawlessly. Like I said, it's a shooter, my first outing it was holding sub-MOA with 4 out of 5 factory loads. Can't wait to start loading for it, I'm hoping to try it out at 1000 yards at the Chelan range next spring. Later.

Dave
Gotcha. I must have been thinking along the lines of AR10 vs AR15.

The short action for a bolt makes sense.

Correct, in the AR platform, the Creedmoor is an AR 10, the Grendel will fit in an AR 15 size action. I liked my Grendel, although not a Savage, but it's been eclipsed by the Creedmoor, so is in the Classifieds looking for a new home. Just don't have any reason for 2 long range rifles, and the Creedmoor outdoes the Grendel in pretty much every way. Later.

Dave

Correct, in the AR platform, the Creedmoor is an AR 10, the Grendel will fit in an AR 15 size action. I liked my Grendel, although not a Savage, but it's been eclipsed by the Creedmoor, so is in the Classifieds looking for a new home. Just don't have any reason for 2 long range rifles, and the Creedmoor outdoes the Grendel in pretty much every way. Later.

Dave
True. That's why I've personally held off on the Grendel.

Savage has two diameter receivers. All of their rifles except the 12 benchresr, Palma, f/tt and one other have the small diameter barrel and the ones mentioned have the large ring. It's easy to swap barrels though and headspace the results.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top