JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Years ago the management at the Tacoma Rifle Club got tired of hearing about people shooting deer at "1000 yards". They set up a 4 x 8 sheet of 3/4 inch steel plate at 1,000 yards and offered free membership to anybody that could hit it 2 out of 5 shots. (excluding the long range rifle competitors). They didn't give away many memberships.

I have at least 1500-2000 shots at or beyond 1000 yards and I would never take a shot deer or elk at those range under normal circumstances.

I have shot problematic coyotes at distance though.

I need better glass........and glasses

Hey Y'all
My first experience with 1000 yards was as a range officer at Camp Perry. I could barely make out the targets that the shooters were aiming for.....with metal sights and service rifles! "I could do that", says I, so I bought and accurized a Remington 700 and signed up at Blackwater (by then, renamed US Training) for 'Precision Rifle' training. Pass mark there was hitting a 16 inch square steel plate at 1000 yards.....in huge crosswinds! Final exam consisted of working your way backwards, 100 yards at a time, until you got to the 1000 yard berm. I was doing well right up to the 900 yard berm but then everything went screwy. I found that one of my expensive Leupold scope rings had cracked. I had my old Mosin with Timney trigger in the car and asked the instructor if I could use it. He laughed himself silly but allowed me to try. In the 17 mph crosswind, it took half a box of cheezy Russian surplus ammo to get on target but at round 11, I got a hit and passed!

As far as glasses.....I had my cataracts done. Vision was hugely better but still a bit hazy and yellowish. A doctor here in Birmingham has developed a procedure where he replaces the fluid in the eyeballs. I can now read a newspaper at about two long paces and no longer wear glasses.

My old back yard in eastern Washington.

Targets at 1400 and 1600.

I really miss living there.
F2B2C94E-5BFB-49C5-9DB2-DD1F51C14D45.jpeg

Years ago the management at the Tacoma Rifle Club got tired of hearing about people shooting deer at "1000 yards". They set up a 4 x 8 sheet of 3/4 inch steel plate at 1,000 yards and offered free membership to anybody that could hit it 2 out of 5 shots. (excluding the long range rifle competitors). They didn't give away many memberships.
I love it. God gave man, animals for food and clothing after the flood but we are to respect and care for them.

Blessings,
Longbeard

600 yard line at DRRC Service Rifle, unsupported, 4 power scope, 4.5 pound trigger.
Can you see the targets?
View attachment 585132
600 yard MR-1 target. edge of the black is a '7'. 36" Black
View attachment 585133
And no one wants to shoot a seven. So, people like Ron who shoot x's and tens at 600yds (with only a couple occasional 9's) impress us more so. No wonder we haven't made first contact - aliens looking down on DRRC should be afraid... very afraid!

I shot 1,000 matches with the Washington Army National Guard at range KD-22 on JBLM back in the 90's. If my memory is correct. 42 clicks on the rear sight of an M1A. A 6x6 target at that distance looks like a white pencil dot.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top