JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I lifted this from the another site, and its some scary stuff from a guy who is in the loop.

Here is the link for the site

FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET | Northwest Fishing Board | Piscatorial Pursuits' Outdoor Forums - Alaska / Washington Salmon, Steelhead, and Halibut Fishing

Courtesy of Rivrguy

Well here is NOAA on over fishing stocks. Washington coast in red. Not sure we wanted to be on this particular list.

NOAA Fisheries is pleased to present the 2015 Report to Congress on the Status of U.S. Fisheries as managed under the science-based framework established under the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (MSA). 2016 marks the 40th anniversary of the MSA and the federal, state, and stakeholder partnership it established through eight fishery management councils to sustainably manage our nation's marine fisheries. In 2015, two previously overfished stocks were rebuilt, and the number of stocks on the overfishing and overfished lists remains near all-time lows. Several stocks were assessed for the first time in 2015, which resulted in new information about the status of these stocks. Continuous monitoring and improvement of our knowledge about the status of these stocks is key under the MSA process for managing our fisheries to be sustainable.

Status Listings

Overfishing & Overfished Lists
Overfishing: 313 stocks with known status:

Overfished: 233 stocks with known status:

The Year in Review
At the end of 2015, 28 stocks were on the overfishing list and 38 stocks were on the overfished list. The number of stocks rebuilt since 2000 increased to 39. NOAA Fisheries tracks 473 stocks and stock complexes in 46 fishery management plans, or FMPs. Each year, assessments of various fish stocks and stock complexes are conducted to determine their status. These assessments include stocks of both known status and previously unknown status. Based on assessments conducted by the end of 2015, eight stocks were removed from the overfishing list and ten were added. Two stocks came off the
overfished list, and three were added. As required by the MSA management framework, all stocks added to the overfishing and overfished lists have management measures being implemented to end overfishing and rebuild. Specific changes to the status of stocks in 2015 include:

Hogfish - Eastern Gulf of Mexico Puerto Rico Scups & Porgies Complex Puerto Rico Wrasses Complex
Thorny skate - Gulf of Maine Winter skate - Georges Bank/
Southern New England Windowpane - Gulf of Maine/Georges Bank Greater amberjack - Gulf of Mexico
Gray triggerfish - Gulf of Mexico

Hogfish - Southeast Florida1
Chinook salmon - Columbia River Basin:
Upper River Summer Chinook salmon - Washington Coast:
Willapa Bay Fall Natural Chinook salmon - Washington Coast:
Grays Harbor Fall Coho salmon - Washington Coast: Hoh

Eastern Pacific2
Summer flounder
Yellowtail flounder - Southern New England/
Mid-Atlantic Winter flounder - Georges Bank Bigeye tuna - Atlantic

Blueline tilefish - South Atlantic Canary rockfish - Pacific Coast3

Hogfish - Southeast Florida1
Yellowtail Flounder - Southern New England/
Mid-Atlantic Winter Flounder - Georges Bank

Canary rockfish - Pacific Coast3 Petrale sole - Pacific Coast

1. Stock status was formerly listed as unknown
2. This stock was previously listed as a Pacific-wide stock, but was reported for the first time as separate Eastern Pacific and Western and Central North Pacific stocks.
3. This stock was removed from the overfished list and is now rebuilt.

Maybe I'm WAAAAAAY off base here, but over the years I've fished in Oregon it seems as though there have been less and less fish available. Proliferation of guides/charters, loss of access to fishing, crowding even more people into smaller area that are left, forests logged to waters edge, less and less fish planted. I'm at the point now after all these years that they can all go away for all I care. I think of the money I'd save if I didn't have to worry about getting a springer, summer chinook, summer steelhead, fall chinook, coho. I gave up winter steelhead many years ago due to the issues mentioned above with places to fish and over crowding. If those fish were all out of the picture it would be easy to get a fish fix with bass, perch, pike minnow, trout, bluegill, catfish.

I pay my money, more and more every year it seems, and I expect the people that get that money to provide better service!

Maybe I'm WAAAAAAY off base here, but over the years I've fished in Oregon it seems as though there have been less and less fish available. Proliferation of guides/charters, loss of access to fishing, crowding even more people into smaller area that are left, forests logged to waters edge, less and less fish planted. I'm at the point now after all these years that they can all go away for all I care. I think of the money I'd save if I didn't have to worry about getting a springer, summer chinook, summer steelhead, fall chinook, coho. I gave up winter steelhead many years ago due to the issues mentioned above with places to fish and over crowding. If those fish were all out of the picture it would be easy to get a fish fix with bass, perch, pike minnow, trout, bluegill, catfish.

I pay my money, more and more every year it seems, and I expect the people that get that money to provide better service!

My thinking is much the same, no point paying for licenses and gear if they are just going to mismanage the fisheries and give us less opportunities.

Before I left Orygun, things were all ready down the flusher for Every thing on the Columbia. Closing down many hatcheries, limits on what days you could fish, vs what days the nets would be in, switching to barbless, increasing regs and expenses, extra permits and raising ramp fee's.............On and On and ON, and lets not forget the Army Corp of Eng. flushing the dams on the Good days we were allowed to fish, or the failure to rid the river of the sealions!!!!! And they blame Us, the little guys for over fishing!:eek::eek::eek:

I stopped fishing for salmon/steelhead a few years ago. I now crawl the mountains fly fishing for trout and find the experience infinitely more rewarding.

With all that is in he way of the success for salmon / steelhead, it's a wonder there are any left at all. Dams, irrigation, logging, state control of hatcheries, commercial fishing, etc....

As a kid I used to listen to my grandfather talk about fishing in NE Washington (kettle river) prior to the dams going in. It now all founds like a fairytale.

Oh well. There were once elk heards walking where I-5 now is.

I still can't figure out why the need for barbless hooks when fishing for fall salmon, when you can retain the ones with an intact adipose fin.

I still can't figure out why the need for barbless hooks when fishing for fall salmon, when you can retain the ones with an intact adipose fin.

Well, I don't fish buoy 10 but as I understand it, you can't keep unclipped chinook below Tongue Point on Sundays and Mondays! Is "Convolution" a word?

I'm going to the WDFW meeting in Centralia tonight to voice my opinion for the 2017 $$$ increase proposal. I am addicted to fishing and my dealer wants to double the price I have to pay!!!! They have already made up their danm minds to grease us again and are just going through the motions to appease the public!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm going to the WDFW meeting in Centralia tonight to voice my opinion for the 2017 $$$ increase proposal. I am addicted to fishing and my dealer wants to double the price I have to pay!!!! They have already made up their danm minds to grease us again and are just going through the motions to appease the public!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I've heard the Columbia has been pretty good this year and am getting mixed reports off the coast. Has this been your experience too so far?

I'm up in a few weeks for a Deschutes fishing trip, I hope I can put a few in the cooler! I have been hearing from my friends still living in the PNW that the Salmon fishing has really sucked this year. From the counts I have seen, the numbers don't really look all that great, but the fish are there! Most folks I know have avoided fishing outside due to the poor numbers! Both states need to back way the hell off of the Sportsmen and start hitting the commercial side much harder and quit closing hatcheries and following fake science, And get the damn Sea Lions out of the damn river:mad::mad::mad:

I've heard the Columbia has been pretty good this year and am getting mixed reports off the coast. Has this been your experience too so far?

I have not fished the Big C nor the coast but what I've heard from my network of fishermen has not been good.
BUOY 10 has been slow slow slow. Out of Westport there have been some mixed reports so probably it has been better than inland.

I'm waiting for a popular inland fishery to get going sooooon, wanna guess which one? ;)

I have not fished the Big C nor the coast but what I've heard from my network of fishermen has not been good.
BUOY 10 has been slow slow slow. Out of Westport there have been some mixed reports so probably it has been better than inland.

I'm waiting for a popular inland fishery to get going sooooon, wanna guess which one? ;)

I have a pretty good idea which one. I'm still up in the air as to whether or not my favorite large river system the "Drunkensnaggertulips" will be open for any kind of fishing this year.

One day I hear no fishing at all, then there might be 1 salmon, then don't believe anything WDFW says right now, they will change the rule at the last minute. Of course the nets will be out there in full force... :mad:

Well the WDFW were up to their old dog & pony show. This meeting was bit differentoo than others as they would not allow one speaker at a time. They introduced all the department employees who showed up asked that we talk to those people, one on one...... Sure seems that they got away with us all giving testimony on "HOW THEY WILL SQUANDER THE PROCEEDS" when they do get it and not how they plan to give us sportsmen MORE OPPORTUNITIES!!!!
All BS, nothing to see here, move along!!!
I have a plan for next season, I'm gonna tell them to FO&D and not buy a license!!!! I'll go to Alaska and catch with my son!!!

It's all about the State having Control!!! It could be argued that Christ used Barbed hooks when teaching a man to fish!!!
It's all about the elitist iFish types who want to catch only native fish with barbless hooks and artificial lures. These "A River Runs Through It" wannabes are responsible for the laws and regulations that have closed down hatcheries and made it impossible to fish in Oregon without a lawyer to read the rules and a surveyor to tell you where they apply. These idiots think that $5000 worth of fishing gear and apparel makes them movie stars and the envy of everyone not fortunate enough to have unlimited money and time to fish for trout. This is why your kid can't dunk a salmon egg in your favorite trout stream in Oregon. My dad was the best fly fisherman I ever saw, and he did it with a $20 split bamboo fly rod and a $10 pair of hip boots. 90% of the fools I see on the Deschutes flailing away with $2000 rods haven't got the foggiest idea how to use them. I've given up all fishing in Oregon.

You are correct ZigZagZeke, the "pro" rich have just about ruined it for everybody! You think its bad up there in the PNW, come down here to Colorado and try to find a fly shop that dosnt demand a Visa Platinum card just to walk through the front door! They get really pizzed when an old Steelheader from up north schools them in the arts of combat fly fishing!

It's all about the elitist iFish types who want to catch only native fish with barbless hooks and artificial lures. These "A River Runs Through It" wannabes are responsible for the laws and regulations that have closed down hatcheries and made it impossible to fish in Oregon without a lawyer to read the rules and a surveyor to tell you where they apply. These idiots think that $5000 worth of fishing gear and apparel makes them movie stars and the envy of everyone not fortunate enough to have unlimited money and time to fish for trout. This is why your kid can't dunk a salmon egg in your favorite trout stream in Oregon. My dad was the best fly fisherman I ever saw, and he did it with a $20 split bamboo fly rod and a $10 pair of hip boots. 90% of the fools I see on the Deschutes flailing away with $2000 rods haven't got the foggiest idea how to use them. I've given up all fishing in Oregon.

God I run into those types all the time and they aren't all fly guys.

They need to start pumping fish out of the hatcheries again, and if the fish is a truly a native then make in C&R only for everyone - including the tribes. I can still remember how plentiful the salmon and steelhead were and how entire families would get licensed and geared up every year to fish for salmon and steelhead. It was rare that my friends families didn't have fish and venison packed in their freezers every year. The charters guys got their catch, the commercials got their catch, and us hook and line guys got our catches too. That was all because of hatcheries.

You aint kidding! Back when I was skipping high school with my buddies, we would average ONE salmon every three hours as long as the rivers were not completely blown, and that was trolling! Plunking, I could fill a tag before lunch while passing off my rod to help fill every ones tag just so I could keep fishing! Drift fishing was the real "Sport of Kings" back in those days, you were considered "Hard Core" if you were a drift guy, and taking Salmon or SteelHead on a skinny rod with hand tied fly's was mythical stuff that made the Deshutes legend!!! Now its almost a joke with every tom dick and harry splashing all their crap in the waters turning what was once THE BEST river anywhere into just another once was river!:(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top