JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, I've not yet (knocking on wood) shot myself or anything I didn't intend to shoot. I also don't own a glock - not that I think I would shoot myself with one, but it is the firearm in this case.

Why does this happen over and over again with cops and glocks? Is it it firearm, holster, or training? Or some combination of all three? I know it probably isn't the firearm, since a lot of citizens have them without injuring themselves (at least not at the rate of cops)...so it must be the holster and/or training.

Personally, since I've read of many cases where this has happened while "clearing" the weapon I think it is a training issue....but that's just me.

Well, I've not yet (knocking on wood) shot myself or anything I didn't intend to shoot. I also don't own a glock - not that I think I would shoot myself with one, but it is the firearm in this case.

Why does this happen over and over again with cops and glocks? Is it it firearm, holster, or training? Or some combination of all three? I know it probably isn't the firearm, since a lot of citizens have them without injuring themselves (at least not at the rate of cops)...so it must be the holster and/or training.

Personally, since I've read of many cases where this has happened while "clearing" the weapon I think it is a training issue....but that's just me.

Police departments are notorious for some of the most poorly trained shooters around and safety seems rarely to be stressed. There was a study a while back that showed in the average NYPD shooting incident, 86% of all shots were misses.

There are exceptions to this, many. But by and large, the worst gun-handling I've ever seen from someone who OUGHT to have known better, has been displayed by LEOs, not Joe Redneck.

Most cops aren't "gun-guys," and they don't take it seriously. That plus daily handling gun handling is a recipe for high rates of accident. I agree that a glock or ANY lighter-trigger gun is less forgiving of stupidity than a very heavy 10-pound trigger. And 10-pound triggers are one reason the NYPD misses 86% of their shots.

I always holster my Glock-30 with my booger hook wedged between the back of the trigger and the trigger well to prevent a ND if the trigger were to catch on clothing, etc. That's the only time my finger even remotely touches the trigger if I don't intend to fire a shot (or ten).

Cops are woefully undertrained with firearms. If you ever want proof of this, go into the bathroom at any police station. It's not at all uncommon to find bullet damage to the stalls and walls. The cops will be sitting there dropping a deuce and start playing with their handgun, and suddenly *whoops*. IMHO police should have to qualify with their duty weapon at least once a month, and should fire at least a magazine through it every week.

The biggest issue I see with police these days is most of them are not "gun people", meaning they treat their firearm as just another piece of kit, the problem is it's one of the least used and at the same time one of the most perishable of skills.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top