JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sad this is going on in the developed world. It is yet another reminder to have one's retirement planning addressed early and aggressively. To quote the wisdom of Sirach, "If you have gathered nothing in your youth, how then will you find anything in your old age?"

Japan's population is declining. They do not have replacement children / grandchildren.
Their culture abhors immigrants.
This is one reason companies like Honda are pursuing robots, tele-prescience, AI, and the like.

How do you care for the age'd and infirmed ?

Wonder if they have streets lines with tents, trash, and people doing drugs? I would bet not. Wonder why?
Not really. Japan is a very homogeneous culture, no melting pot over there so cultural values and norms are pretty consistent throughout the generations. There are homeless and drug addicts but not to the extent we have here. Many of the homeless there just want to be left alone and tend to live along water ways or out of sight. You won't see tents and shopping carts lining the sidewalks of Tokyo.

Not really. Japan is a very homogeneous culture, no melting pot over there so cultural values and norms are pretty consistent throughout the generations. There are homeless and drug addicts but not to the extent we have here. Many of the homeless there just want to be left alone and tend to live along water ways or out of sight. You won't see tents and shopping carts lining the sidewalks of Tokyo.
It was said tongue in cheek. The reason they do not have the situation I was describing is they will not tolerate it. Many cites here have not only decided to tolerate it, they openly support it. Again the voters are getting the Government the deserve.

Japan's population is declining. They do not have replacement children / grandchildren.
Their culture abhors immigrants.
This is one reason companies like Honda are pursuing robots, tele-prescience, AI, and the like.

How do you care for the age'd and infirmed ?
Robots and AI. If they can make cars they can care for others.
This BTW has zero to do with population. It's the cost. Many fast food places in the US have been working on this for a long time and are getting very good with it. Soon we will have grocery stores here with no line at the checkout. So instead of standing there in line while someone with no where to go and all day to get there talks to the checkout person, I will put my stuff in a bag and walk out the door. An App will charge me for what I bought. This will be great for me. For a good while all the stores will still keep a few people to care for the handful of people who have no life and want to stand there for an hour and talk to someone.
Many are scared of "tech" but there is no stopping it. As Tech makes some jobs obsolete it also opens the door to new jobs. Those who want to make a good living will have to learn to do something though. They are not going to pay "living wage" to stand there and ask "you want fry's with that?":cool:

It was said tongue in cheek. The reason they do not have the situation I was describing is they will not tolerate it. Many cites here have not only decided to tolerate it, they openly support it. Again the voters are getting the Government the deserve.
Portland city gov doesn't just tolerate it, they embrace it. Keep Portland Weird & Tent Filled.

I used to watch the show "Locked Up Abroad." Looks to me like if you have to go to prison you want it to be in Japan. The prisons are clean, you get a private room, and you don't get abused by the guards. Not at all like the poor slobs who get locked up in Latin America or S. E. Asia.

Robots and AI. If they can make cars they can care for others.
This BTW has zero to do with population. It's the cost. Many fast food places in the US have been working on this for a long time and are getting very good with it. Soon we will have grocery stores here with no line at the checkout. So instead of standing there in line while someone with no where to go and all day to get there talks to the checkout person, I will put my stuff in a bag and walk out the door. An App will charge me for what I bought. This will be great for me. For a good while all the stores will still keep a few people to care for the handful of people who have no life and want to stand there for an hour and talk to someone.
Many are scared of "tech" but there is no stopping it. As Tech makes some jobs obsolete it also opens the door to new jobs. Those who want to make a good living will have to learn to do something though. They are not going to pay "living wage" to stand there and ask "you want fry's with that?":cool:

Yesterday I left my cart & walked out the door when the front desk refused to ring me up & tried to make me go to self checkout--the next store I went to did want my money tho

Yesterday I left my cart & walked out the door when the front desk refused to ring me up & tried to make me go to self checkout--the next store I went to did want my money tho
There will long be a few who still want that interaction time with the cashier. Fine with me. I go in to buy food not have social time. So I want to get my stuff and hit the road. Grocery store I use went with 4 self checks decade or so ago and I LOVE it. Other day I went in and they were closed because they are adding more of them. When they offer the first ones here where I can shop with an App I will be there. I had stopped shopping at the Wal-mart by my house for a long time do to it taking forever to pay and get out when I found what I wanted. They put in a bunch of self checks and once I found out I started going back there now and then. At least now when go and can find what I want I can just pay and go. Love it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top