Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

This is new...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sorcin, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Sorcin

Sorcin Lake Stevens, WA Member

Basically, i'm looking to get into firearms more than I have been. It was more of a treat growing up to go plinking with my dad's .22. Lately I have been getting more into the groups that go shooting more often and I want to become involved in it and have been doing research on handguns, which i'm hoping to buy my first one here soon. I only have a rifle at the moment, that was given to me, a 1963 browning .22LR, mint and more than likely never fired. I'm looking to sell the rifle, or trade, for a handgun to suit my needs better in terms of going to the range and home defense. I'm not sure what else to go on about, so i'll just end the intro and continue lurking to broaden my mind.

2. luke23

luke23 United States (Hawai'i island, Olympic Pen. WA) Active Member

Well hello there, welcome from one new guy to another.

I suppose my big advice would be to find some NRA training classes near you and sign up.

3. Sorcin

My dad actually took me to multiple classes growing up and I feel competent enough to handle a weapon safely. The learning is more on the actual gun side, like tear down of a weapon to clean it, learning the different calibers and applications.

4. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site....

As luke mentioned, more training never hurts. The site here is filled with several very knowledgeable and friendly people who are really into the shooting sports, guns and the outdoors. If you haven't done so already, I would also encourage you to join the NRA. The yearly memberships are cheap and included in your membership is your choice of firearm magazines ( American Rifleman for example.) These have awesome articles on the history of certain guns as well as reviews. Its a great resource for new shooters. It also gives you a vested interest in the politics of gun ownership and our Second Amendment rights as American citizens.
    Again, welcome....

5. Sorcin

That's very true, it has been a while since I have done a handgun safety course. Should do it again as a refresher. And I will check into the NRA membership when I end up getting some free time.

6. luke23

Just being around other gun guys will help you pick up a lot of resources, learn to handle specific weapons. And usually the trainers have a good idea of how to select the right weapon for you, or where to go to test fire different models. It's just the natural first step towards your goals, even if it feels a little backwards.

7. Sorcin

I have been firing quite a few handguns lately, Beretta 92FS, Ruger SR9, XD/XDM series in 9mm and .40. I held the Walther PPX/PPQ's at Cabelas yesterday and I am very interested in that just because of the ergonomics and the trigger, but haven't had a chance to fire it as of yet. But at the moment,the XDM series is at the top of my list for first handgun.

8. luke23

Just for ergonomics, I adore the Walthers, but I also love the Beretta PX4. However at the same time I'm rather fortunate in that 1911s fit my hand rather well.

9. Sorcin

I will have to look into the PX4 as an option. Good ergonomics is a must for me at the moment as I had surgery on both my hands about a year ago.

10. luke23

Yeah, that's a major requirement all right. I'd also stay away from any heavy double action triggers too.

11. Sorcin

Alright, thanks for the heads up.

12. luke23

Good luck finding your ballistic soulmate.

13. fredball

fredball Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Welcome Aboard:thumbup:

14. 3584ELK

3584ELK Algona Member

Welcome to NWF!