JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Useful update. Author argues that semi autos fail a lot more frequently in videos of actual shootings than they do on the range. I suspect that's true, but it would be nice to have actual numbers.

Author focuses entirely on the alternative of small revolvers with protected hammers that can be fired through a pocket. That is, DA only revolvers. Yes these are optimal for shooting through a pocket. But that is a very specialized use. Does the need to fire through a pocket occur more frequently than the need to fire a bit more accurately than can be done shooting a small revolver DA? Given that most people will carry the small revolver in a belt or ankle hokster, not a pocket, I doubt it. To me one of the great virtues of the DA revolver for SD is the ability to choose the long heavy or light trigger pull on each shot, given the situation.

Even if the reliability of the semi auto needs to be reevaluate and down-graded compared with revolver based upon real performance in SD situations, there's an added factor. It's likely that higher capacity now matters more in civilian SD based on greater probability of needing to deal with multiple assaillants. Not only is there a greater possibility of being attacked by a mob because we have more frequent mobs. But in addition so many of the attempted robberies or muggings we see videos of seem to involve two to four bad guys rather than just one or two.

What if you need 13?
Got ya covered….
:D
9DE64FBD-1EA2-4E62-B071-CAE605B10E04.jpeg

From Cop magazine. I certainly respect the author for actually doing the job. And putting it on the line.

I would enjoy buying him a drink and saying so personally.

This line is incomplete:
"These encounters highlight a need to train malfunction clearances religiously."

Yes it does. I can share from experience that unless an officer trains malfunctions On their own, their department training is.... minimal.

This also point up the need for office training in weapons maintenance. I could tell you horror stories on the subject. And most important practice and understanding of how an individual firearm performs when it's not being shot from straight isosceles.

I don't have an opinion if someone wants to carry a revolver or a semi. Shoot what you like. But lets take away all the lessons.

:)

Useful update. Author argues that semi autos fail a lot more frequently in videos of actual shootings than they do on the range. I suspect that's true, but it would be nice to have actual numbers.

Author focuses entirely on the alternative of small revolvers with protected hammers that can be fired through a pocket. That is, DA only revolvers. Yes these are optimal for shooting through a pocket. But that is a very specialized use. Does the need to fire through a pocket occur more frequently than the need to fire a bit more accurately than can be done shooting a small revolver DA? Given that most people will carry the small revolver in a belt or ankle hokster, not a pocket, I doubt it. To me one of the great virtues of the DA revolver for SD is the ability to choose the long heavy or light trigger pull on each shot, given the situation.

Even if the reliability of the semi auto needs to be reevaluate and down-graded compared with revolver based upon real performance in SD situations, there's an added factor. It's likely that higher capacity now matters more in civilian SD based on greater probability of needing to deal with multiple assaillants. Not only is there a greater possibility of being attacked by a mob because we have more frequent mobs. But in addition so many of the attempted robberies or muggings we see videos of seem to involve two to four bad guys rather than just one or two.
I liked your post.
I have a friend who teaches combat shooting and hand to hand fighting. Where Semi autos have problems is in situations where clothing can foul the slide, in grappling, under a barricade, etc.... And the shooters don't realize this till they are in a situation and the gun fails to shoot. It happens a lot in training too.
Semi autos also have advantages .
I pocket carry a revolver all the time. I am giving up some capacity to get a gun that fits in most any pocket I have.
It's up to the user to decide which advantages they value higher.
I don't think I could shoot an under 2" semi auto any better than I could shoot an under 2" revolver so that is kind of a moot point.
In 40 years of carrying a gun I have not shot anyone, So I can't tell you how important it is to shoot through a pocket, only that it is a possibility.
As far as pocket carry goes, I'm old and retired, most of the old retired guys I know pocket carry, Most of their wives either pocket or purse carry. [ if they carry at all.] And yes the revolver has some advantages for pocket carry.
You just have to weigh the advantages against the disadvantages and train with your choices. If you are going to shoot a semi train to not let the slide come in contact with barricades. If you have to shoot under a car, know that your gun may rise in recoil and hit the under side or an empty may bounce back off the car and block the slide. Practice clearing your clothing before you fire. As the article said, Video is exposing how many time a gun gets fouled in actual fights.

At least for me the small revolver still has more in its Plus column than its minus. DR

I always carry a semi, but there was a time I kept a revolver as well. When I was doing a lot of freeway travel, and used rest stops on the regular, I kept one to tuck in my jacket pocket on those occasions. I wanted the ability to send rounds through if there simply wasn't time to do anything else. Limited use, for sure, but it was worth the few hundred dollar expenditure for the added peace of mind.

As for the frequency of failures...practice that draw, folks. You want to ensure your hand is flush against the backstrap every time it comes out of the holster. Your palm is as essential to the weapon's function as the recoil spring itself, particularly in the smaller automatics we tend to carry every day. The smaller and lighter the frame, the more essential the resistance is. That's why you can go to YouTube and find plenty of videos where Glocks are intentionally made to fail with a two finger grip.

Semi autos fail once every 5000 rounds. Revolvers you won't even get near that round count. A hint of dirt inside a revolver will make it fail too. Then you have to fumble with the moon clips only to realize you're not even close to keeping up with Jerry miculek

Semi autos fail once every 5000 rounds. Revolvers you won't even get near that round count. A hint of dirt inside a revolver will make it fail too. Then you have to fumble with the moon clips only to realize you're not even close to keeping up with Jerry miculek
Which semi autos? Which revolvers? Cared for by and shot by whom? Where is this claim coming from?

From teaching classes and taking classes 5,000 IMHO is massively off. And this is on a range under nearly perfect conditions. Sure, you may have a gun that runs 5k without a malfunction (I've shot 3,500 plus at a class with zero malfunctions) but in that same class there were dozens of other malfunctions that I observed, just as an example.

In the real world from watching videos, malfunctions are common with 1) one handed grips, and 2) awkward or compromised shooting positions. These conditions typically will not cause a revolver to fail. Agree with comments that those who carry should be proficient at malfunction clearance. To me, this is also a significant reason to carry an extra mag. I've seen some GunTubers talk about the lack of necessity of carrying an extra mag because they think you will not need to reload in a DGU, but to me (and what I teach) is yes, probably...but both running out of ammo and not being able to clear a malfunction are two very specific situations where you are likely to be killed.

Yes, revolvers can fail too. Typically when they are dirty from shooting and crud is building up under the ejector star. I've never had or remember seeing a revolver fail from a little dirt...I'm sure it has happened though. Good discussion here.

Additional information on gunfight realities from Cop magazine

Quoting the article:
I give cops the straight goods on medical realities. Studies show the chance of dying from handgun GSWs is about 20 percent and cops shot by felons' handguns face a mortality risk of less than 10 percent. However, cops who stop fighting when wounded are at a very high risk of being murdered by their adversaries.

Interesting article in the first post.
I quite often carry a small revolver. I like them for the power they provide in the small package. I also like not chasin my brass. :D Unfortunately I only have a good OWB holster for them and it makes concealment a bit more difficult, so on days like yesterday where I spent a lot of time at a surgery center in NW Portland with my wife, the nod was given to a steel Commander sized 1911 in an IWB holster.
That points out the advantage I find in an auto, it fits inside of my pants easier and more comfortably than a revolver.

The "5 or 6 for sure" I remember hearing 30+ years ago from the devoted revolver shooters hinting at the unreliability of a semi. About that same time (and still to this day) I also remember being told that a 1911 in 45ACP was extremely inaccurate and unreliable. I can find a little wisdom in the former statement, but absolutely refute the latter.

1) "What if you need 13?"
Carry 3 revolvers. :D

2) "Does the need to fire through a pocket occur more frequently than the need to fire a bit more accurately than can be done shooting a small revolver DA?"
Shooting from a pocket isn't the only reason to bob the hammer. Getting it out of the pocket is another real good reason. I'm a lot more likely to need a snag-free presentation than I am to be making a hostage shot or shooting at 25 yds.
IMHO (realizing that YMMV) SA on a 5-shot J-Frame size gun is as useless as a nipple on a beer bottle. This requires knowing how to shoot DA.

3) In the real world of bad backs, arthritis, etc. a 5-shot revolver may be the only practical choice for a person to carry all the time. I would love to have a Cz-75 or a full size 1911 (or a raptor type 12 ga.) on my person all the time, but it just doesn't work for me.

@revjen45 , If I ever need a handgun I doubt that I will be thinking anything besides "get it out and use it".
I have a couple of very small semi autos, but the only gun I ever pocket carry anymore is a DAO J Frame. It has Crimson Trace grips on it, but I'd bet $$ to doughnuts that if I need it I'm just lookin down the top of the barrel and shooting! Doubt I'd even see that little red dot. :D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads