JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

An 8.5 quake is about 15 times stronger then the 6.5 above.
if an 8.5 hits there will be no phone, water, elect. roads, bridges, buildings. Fires, explosions, Haz Mat spillage of all types will be common

Each 1 point on the scale equates to a 10 fold increase in magnitude.
So going from 6.5 to 8.5 we have 100 times the magnitude.
A whole lot of stuff will be coming down.

Roaring like a freight train from hell, the Northridge earthquake threw sleeping Angelenos from their beds at 4:31 a.m. on Jan. 17, 1994.

The earthquake's shaking was stronger than the force of gravity, lifting furniture off the floor and buildings off their foundations. Los Angeles firefighters watched their massive fire trucks hop across a station garage in time with the seismic waves.

At least 57 people died and nearly 9,000 people were injured. Some 82,000 buildings were damaged or destroyed. Seven freeway bridges collapsed. With more than $40 billion in property and economic losses, Northridge was one of the most expensive natural disasters in U.S. history.

California geologists say their big cities are overdue for another devastating earthquake. No major earthquake has hit one of the major urban areas since Northridge — and at a magnitude-6.7, it wasn't even the feared "Big One." Twenty years ago, no one knew the Northridge fault existed. Thanks to Northridge, the next one won't be such a surprise. The big question is: Are Californians ready?

An 8.5 quake is about 15 times stronger then the 6.5 above.
if an 8.5 hits there will be no phone, water, elect. roads, bridges, buildings. Fires, explosions, Haz Mat spillage of all types will be common

You hit that one dead center.
Ma Nature can swallow us for dinner anytime she wants.

8.5 quake would likely sever the nat gas lines. Anyone with nat gas heating would likely be withou heat. Same goes for hot water and stove.
If gas lines are severed, water lines, power, telephone too.
Today is a good day to buy a gallon of household unscented chlorine bleach or a bottle of Iodine tincture and a medicine dropper at the market. US EPA Link
If house knocked from foundation, throw a tarp over the mess and shelter in place.
If civil services disrupt, civs will disrupt.
Stack the bodies outside the fenceline as a warning.

Folks will begin to look for effective leadership.
If folks ask what they can do to help, you are blessed. If they pitch-in and do good things, they are also leaders.

But when the light at the end of the tunnel looks like a train, ya just gotta hit the road...

Sincerely, Rick (who actively participated in the '71 Sylmar, CA quake)

Shut off main breaker in electrical panel.
Electricity backfed from Barn by portable genset, extra gasoline in cans.

Food in the pantry, referigerator, freezer, and in buckets in the barn.
If natural gas still flowing, heat. If not, propane fired wood stove.

Retired, so I don't want to EVER! be downtown PDX.

House unlivable, Set-up like at deer-elk camp (in the barn), 2nd season (cold!)
Propane fired tent heater.

Unfortunately I still have to go to downtown PDX every workday - for the next 5 years or so, then I will move farther out.

I was thinking about my shop the other day. It is insulated and is somewhat warmer even without heat. I intend to insulate it more with foam panels - plenty of room in the framing to do that. Get someone to come and do the ceiling as it is over 15 ft. high - do that first because that is where you lose most of your heat.

Do the rollup doors as they have no insulation. Replace the two windows with triple pane. Install a propane heater. Run water inside and put in a shower/toilet. All of this will add value and pay for itself when it comes time to sell.

There is an RV door so an RV can be parked on that side and that would provide even more warmth and convenience.

It is about 2K SF so plenty of room in there for impromptu living quarters. I am thinking more along the lines of shelter for people I can't or don't want to fit in the house (3 bedrooms in the house) than worrying about a backup shelter, but either way is good.

My house is a custom triple wide manufactured home, so it sits on a steel frame and that on a concrete pad. I am not sure how susceptible to earthquake damage that is - I can think of both advantages and disadvantages, but while I am an engineer (I even built some manufactured homes when I was young) I am not a structural engineer (maybe I should ask my little brother, he has experience in that).

The main thing is that the PNW is not really prepared for a strong earthquake.

The gov has made some minor preps, and tweaked bldg codes, etc., but not like Calif. or Japan.

We don't get big ones very often, but we are due for one, and when (not if) it hits we will probably see some major damage in the cities, especially any with large bldgs. Older bridges will get hit hard too. The main bridge I have to cross is fairly new - I need to ask my brother how well it would stand up to and earthquake.

I need to review my alternate routes for bridges. I know one has several, not sure about the other one. They are not long bridges - they just go over a river or stream that is at most 50 foot wide, but still...

Other problems would be landslides, and we have those from time to time just due to rain.

If gas lines are severed, water lines, power, telephone too.
Today is a good day to buy a gallon of household unscented chlorine bleach or a bottle of Iodine tincture and a medicine dropper at the market. US EPA Link
If house knocked from foundation, throw a tarp over the mess and shelter in place.
If civil services disrupt, civs will disrupt.
Stack the bodies outside the fenceline as a warning.

Folks will begin to look for effective leadership.
If folks ask what they can do to help, you are blessed. If they pitch-in and do good things, they are also leaders.

But when the light at the end of the tunnel looks like a train, ya just gotta hit the road...

Sincerely, Rick (who actively participated in the '71 Sylmar, CA quake)

Rick, I was there for most of those quakes, been through tornados and hurricanes, wildfires and floods as well (not all in the same place, or at same time).
In 71' I was a member of the RA and was put on standby as logistical support to NG units

Prepping for an 8.5 EQ is outside the boundary of most PPLs ability, it even tests the capabilities of Cheyenne Mtn and ICBM silos.
As far as the PNW not being prepared, no one is prepared for an 8.5 outside Japan.
PNW public, commercial buildings and bridges have been upgraded (to 7.0?) but it is everything else that is not upgraded that is the hazard. Keep prepping, do what you can, with what you have, where your at.

Prepping for an 8.5 EQ is outside the boundary of most PPLs ability, it even tests the capabilities of Cheyenne Mtn and ICBM silos.
As far as the PNW not being prepared, no one is prepared for an 8.5 outside Japan.
PNW public, commercial buildings and bridges have been upgraded (to 7.0?) but it is everything else that is not upgraded that is the hazard. Keep prepping, do what you can, with what you have, where your at.

Even Japan was not prepared for that. The result = Fukishima

I need to review my alternate routes for bridges. I know one has several, not sure about the other one. They are not long bridges - they just go over a river or stream that is at most 50 foot wide, but still...

This is going to be the huge issue in my opinion. While I do not have a long commute, I spend a fair amount of time about 3 miles from home, but have to cross two stream bridges to get there. Both are probably only about 25 to 30 feet wide, but are lowland streams with 15 to 18 foot steep banks. If those bridges go out, crossing those streams is going to be a problem.

I am going to start looking at zip lines to cross the stream. That would leave me abandoning a very well outfitted vehicle in a not so great location. I also have to consider getting one or two dogs across.

I started carrying a chain saw with me at all times. Not much, but I damn sure could drop some trees across the stream. Most of us have focused on the immediate preps needed, and as one said with out conducting security or combat operations at the same time.

Looking at the Northridge quake or the Alaskan quake of 1964 would give us all a good idea of what we would be looking at.

Plan in place. Three text messages sent if alive. 2 meter handheld, check repeaters. Monitor the local net for info. Remove pack and sidearm from car. Start 35 mile walk home. 15 years of thinking about the possibilities helps. A good dose of Hurricane Katrina on the ground was a good lesson as well.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top