JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had several 5.56 2nd gen P-Mags crack. Allegedly they fixed the problem on the 3rd gens. I prefer metal mags for rifles. I've got a few of their Glock mags and haven't had any trouble yet, but only have a few hundred rounds through each, so can't really say for sure yet. I wouldn't use them for "real" but they're fine for training purposes.
How exactly did they crack? What were the circumstances?

I'm not aware of any (commonly known) problem that was (allegedly)fixed on the 3rd gens. Could you expound?

TIA.

How exactly did they crack? What were the circumstances?

I'm not aware of any (commonly known) problem that was (allegedly)fixed on the 3rd gens. Could you expound?

TIA.
Cracked between the feed lips on the front of the mag. Don't know how common it is, but if you do a search for "cracked 2nd gen P-Mags" you'll see I'm not the only one to have that happen. Don't remember where I read it but somebody said that they beefed up that area in some way on the 3rd gens. That being said, I've got a 2nd and 3rd gen in hand as I type this and I don't see a difference in that particular area, so maybe that was just internet forum myth.

Cracked between the feed lips on the front of the mag. Don't know how common it is, but if you do a search for "cracked 2nd gen P-Mags" you'll see I'm not the only one to have that happen. Don't remember where I read it but somebody said that they beefed up that area in some way on the 3rd gens. That being said, I've got a 2nd and 3rd gen in hand as I type this and I don't see a difference in that particular area, so maybe that was just internet forum myth.
I've aware of potential concerns with AK PMags; primarily locking lugs and feed lips becoming steel reinforced Gen3.

However, I wasn't aware that was also an issue with AR PMags.

I've seen AR PMags get driven over and still function. Aluminum GI mags not so much.

I've seen AR PMags get driven over and still function. Aluminum GI mags not so much.
I should also clarify that the mags still function. I still use them in fact, just marked as damaged. I do prefer 3rd gen because of the "over insertion prevention tab" (or whatever it's called) but I have plenty of 2nd gen P-Mags and wouldn't hesitate to depend on them when it counted.

I've tried these and like them better than some other brand I can't remember the name of. The factory 30 (or 32 maybe?) rounders will break feed lips but sometimes still work afterward. I wouldn't trust them for self defense but I would trust the Magpuls.
How can you beat 35 round Magpul mags @ $17 for the Cz ? I keep the originals as a collectors item lol .

Screw Amazon, support the gun community:

Screw China. Support the USA (and PNW).

I would say that AR-9 platforms are harder on a mag than a glock pistol so I have a bunch of pmags and glock brand both work great no issues in my ar9s or glocks... I own the pmags because I was buying them sub $10 and I figure if a high cap mag ban happens I will sell those and buy a car lol.... Anyways did you slam that fully loaded mag into your AR with the bolt closed? The heavy bolts and buffer weights are really moving in the ar9 maybe the mag got clipped.... I would suggest glock brand for the ar9s for complete reliability, but also you can just buy more pmags and magpul will give you new replacements great company.

I would say that AR-9 platforms are harder on a mag than a glock pistol so I have a bunch of pmags and glock brand both work great no issues in my ar9s or glocks... I own the pmags because I was buying them sub $10 and I figure if a high cap mag ban happens I will sell those and buy a car lol.... Anyways did you slam that fully loaded mag into your AR with the bolt closed? The heavy bolts and buffer weights are really moving in the ar9 maybe the mag got clipped.... I would suggest glock brand for the ar9s for complete reliability, but also you can just buy more pmags and magpul will give you new replacements great company.
Good point.
That's possibly what happened.
He said he had a fail to feed and the top round had a dent in it.
Round might have gotten sideways and hooked the top of the mag with the bolt trying to go into battery.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top