JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, I've been interested in long range shooting for quite a while. I hunted deer for a couple of seasons about 15 years ago and that got me reading articles by Chuck Hawks. Right about that time the WSM's were all the rage and I was set on getting a 7mm WSM because my 30-06 wasn't that fun to shoot. Then I took a step back from hunting and never bothered to pursue shooting.
Fast forward to a couple years ago and I started researching long range shooting again. Came across the Sniper 101 vids on YouTube and watched about the first 40 vids. That got me excited about it again. I am a machinist by trade and so the extreme precision of long range shooting is very alluring to me.
This year I committed to hunting again with a friend, which has finally been the catalyst to actually get me shooting again. I promised myself (and the wife) I would test the waters with my 30-06 before buying any other rifles.
First steps were to free-float the barrel and pillar bed the action on my Grandpa's old Steven's 110e, mom gave it to me about 10 years after he passed. I also refinished the old oak stock.
Next, per the exemplary Rex-reviews, I picked up a used SWFA 10x42 with quad MOA reticule for $175. Followed by a Warne steel picatinny rail and 30mm rings. Put on the cheap bi-pod I bought 15 years ago and a neoprene comb raising kit and I'm ready to hit the range.
First time out I went up to Larch Mt because I thought I could find a spot I could shoot at least few hundred yards but never found a spot that felt safe past about 100. Shot some Hornady SST ammo and Federal premium big game. Both obviously hunting rounds (because that's what this rifle is for) but the Federal was clearly better than the Hornady. Decided next trip I would go to a proper range.
Today, I made it out to English pit to try and refine my techniques and confirm the work I had done previously. Same as before, Hornady was all over the map but the Federals were grouping nicely. Best 4 shot group of .569! Not bad for an old 30-06 with a 20" sporter barrel....
That 4 shot group got me feeling really good and had me wanting more when I left.
Needless to say.....this could get expensive.

D2F62FEF-9990-497E-A824-4D7BEED434E7.jpeg

0DFF8CD9-1EB4-41E8-836A-53478B6F2848.jpeg

Hey all, I've been interested in long range shooting for quite a while. I hunted deer for a couple of seasons about 15 years ago and that got me reading articles by Chuck Hawks. Right about that time the WSM's were all the rage and I was set on getting a 7mm WSM because my 30-06 wasn't that fun to shoot. Then I took a step back from hunting and never bothered to pursue shooting.
Fast forward to a couple years ago and I started researching long range shooting again. Came across the Sniper 101 vids on YouTube and watched about the first 40 vids. That got me excited about it again. I am a machinist by trade and so the extreme precision of long range shooting is very alluring to me.
This year I committed to hunting again with a friend, which has finally been the catalyst to actually get me shooting again. I promised myself (and the wife) I would test the waters with my 30-06 before buying any other rifles.
First steps were to free-float the barrel and pillar bed the action on my Grandpa's old Steven's 110e, mom gave it to me about 10 years after he passed. I also refinished the old oak stock.
Next, per the exemplary Rex-reviews, I picked up a used SWFA 10x42 with quad MOA reticule for $175. Followed by a Warne steel picatinny rail and 30mm rings. Put on the cheap bi-pod I bought 15 years ago and a neoprene comb raising kit and I'm ready to hit the range.
First time out I went up to Larch Mt because I thought I could find a spot I could shoot at least few hundred yards but never found a spot that felt safe past about 100. Shot some Hornady SST ammo and Federal premium big game. Both obviously hunting rounds (because that's what this rifle is for) but the Federal was clearly better than the Hornady. Decided next trip I would go to a proper range.
Today, I made it out to English pit to try and refine my techniques and confirm the work I had done previously. Same as before, Hornady was all over the map but the Federals were grouping nicely. Best 4 shot group of .569! Not bad for an old 30-06 with a 20" sporter barrel....
That 4 shot group got me feeling really good and had me wanting more when I left.
Needless to say.....this could get expensive.

View attachment 602948

View attachment 602949
That is excellent for off-the-shelf ammo.
With handloads, that rifle could put them all into one ragged hole.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top