JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know of any service for this. If you don't have a friend who can hold them maybe try a storage unit. Move the safe and all its contents into the unit. If you are worried about it getting lifted bolt it to the ground and apply a cut proof lock to the outside of the unit. When you can, move the safe back and fill in the holes in the ground with some quick set concrete maybe to hopefully avoid a fee for damages to the unit.

From what the OP says not so much an issue of trying to hide the value but to get them out of the house so they don't get split up and sold. He wants to be able to take their collective value as an asset and balance against something else that the soon to be ex-wife wants.
this is also meant to get the firearms out of the house so when it gets messy and it sounds like it will. She can not claim safety issues and have the firearms confiscated by our lovely so called police officers and then damaged or lost.

The goal is to have them somewhere not int he house. Unless I';ve completely missed the point he does not have anyone that he really knows who can legally hold them for him. I would follow up with Joe13 is you haven't. That shop sounds like what is likely needed.
Best wishes and as someone else mentioned make sure you have a good lawyer. Try to settle things as best possible. Sometime better to take a loss to settle quickly than drag it out and only have the lawyers get rich.
Your take is exactly correct.

I don't know of any service for this. If you don't have a friend who can hold them maybe try a storage unit. Move the safe and all its contents into the unit. If you are worried about it getting lifted bolt it to the ground and apply a cut proof lock to the outside of the unit. When you can, move the safe back and fill in the holes in the ground with some quick set concrete maybe to hopefully avoid a fee for damages to the unit.
Downside to this is the requirement to divulge all assets. If they aren't assets anymore, they aren't much of an issue.

Downside to this is the requirement to divulge all assets. If they aren't assets anymore, they aren't much of an issue.

Well from what I'm gathering the OP isn't trying to hide them as an asset or their value, just get them out so they aren't split up and sold. Sounds like he wants their value to be known so he can say something like "Well you want the car, then I keep all my guns". Maybe I'm missing something though as I have never gone through a divorce and not familiar with the process.

I had this same question not long ago, and learned that there are (or were) places back east where firearms could be stored. I didn't research any deeper into it, since I wasn't interested in shipping the things across the country.

The best idea that was suggested to me was to take the guns to a trusted gunsmith and have him do some work on them on each of them - maybe a deep cleaning - - just some little job that would take awhile to finish. The gunsmith is already someone who is keeping a lot of firearms, and they give you a receipt for each firearm they receive.

It could run into a bit of money, depending on how man guns you have.

If you do not have any friends or family you can trust? Then I would rent a storage room. One of the better ones that is maned, not some outside place. Put a safe in there. I would cover the safe when moving to make it not easy to see when wheeling it in and of course a decent lock.

I don't have a solution for the OP.

But I do have some suggestions for the future:

1) I wouldn't post this here or anywhere publicly. If the divorce is a contested one, if the opposing lawyer found this thread it might be an issue.

2) In the future, explore, with a lawyer familiar with family law/etc., how to avoid such issues in future relationships, if possible. Such things as pre-nuptial agreements, even when there is no formal marriage. I have considerable pre-existing assets that I wish to go only to my daughter - if I ever enter into a serious romantic relationship in the future, I will take precautions to ensure that the other party to the relationship cannot make any claims to those assets.

Well from what I'm gathering the OP isn't trying to hide them as an asset or their value, just get them out so they aren't split up and sold.
The dollar value is negligible. The perceived value and the negotiation that results is what is troublesome. Lots of scum parents do it with kids in order to secure something of greater value. Same goes for collector cars, sports memorabilia and other personal value items, like a favorite hunting cabin.
I lived next to a defunct NORAD radar installation in SW Michigan. The neighbor bought it for a song at auction in the '80s. It *might* have been as much as 5 acres in the Michigan countryside, but the dude loved it. I mean *LOVED* it. Wife divorced him, took him for everything but he was happy he could keep the radar installation. I never saw the inside, but outside, the thing was a dump. o_O

Thoughts:
  • look into whether or not you can place your guns into trust without the soon to be ex on the trust.
  • Load up the safes and drive them to the next relative or your most trustworthy friend.
  • Do all of this before a filing happens and the "stay" order is put into place.

The dollar value is negligible. The perceived value and the negotiation that results is what is troublesome. Lots of scum parents do it with kids in order to secure something of greater value. Same goes for collector cars, sports memorabilia and other personal value items, like a favorite hunting cabin.
I lived next to a defunct NORAD radar installation in SW Michigan. The neighbor bought it for a song at auction in the '80s. It *might* have been as much as 5 acres in the Michigan countryside, but the dude loved it. I mean *LOVED* it. Wife divorced him, took him for everything but he was happy he could keep the radar installation. I never saw the inside, but outside, the thing was a dump. o_O

Thoughts:
  • look into whether or not you can place your guns into trust without the soon to be ex on the trust.
  • Load up the safes and drive them to the next relative or your most trustworthy friend.
  • Do all of this before a filing happens and the "stay" order is put into place.
It's not about hiding assets, they are well known. It's about preserving them and making them a non issue for the court.

'Don't know anyone in your area but here is a reference for for storage service in AZ. Depending on what you have, this service is not cheap. Perhaps they would have a referral closer to you:

Personally, I would get legal advise ASAP and do whatever sooner vs later.

Also, consider potential negative effects of Oregon's red flag law such that you don't get them taken away by operation of law

I have to admit, it sounds odd to me (it sounds like hiding assets). Is your wife asking fellow female jewelry enthusiasts to store her necklaces, rings, etc?
Not my intention to sound rude, but this seems odd...
If assets are not being hidden, why can you not state I am keeping the firearms, they are worth $___, and she gets the equivalent amount in something else?

Firearms you purchased before marriage may be exempted.
If you have Children purpose putting the firearms in a trust as a valuable appreciating asset and an heirloom for your children. Word it so that the ones you want can't be sold Until your death or the child reaches a certain age.
If she declines she looks like the bad guy. Give up a few you don't want for good faith. Shortcut to marriage...find a chick you hate buy her a house and give her your guns. Divorce is horrible. I hope you guys work it out at the least you can be civil to each other.

One option might be to drop them off for cleaning at the gunsmith shop. Ask them to put them on the backburner as you won't be able to pick them up for awhile. You might be able to get a volume discount on "cleaning fees".

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top