JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am about to go through a divorce. I have more than one safe's worth of rifles and handguns that are going to need to be put in the hands of a third party. If I sell them they become a monetary asset she can claim. If I do not, I can balance them against other assets.

I need to find a decent third party storage option in the Portland area ( west Portland).

Anyone? Please keep the " I'll hold them for you" joke comments to a minimum.

Not sure what it's named but I know a guy who keeps his in a climate controlled armory for individuals.

It's like a storage unit but vaults for guns. I think it's up hwy 30 around St. hellens area.

Joe13 might have a good lead. Just get your paperwork in order.

I had my FFL put a few things in his safe for me when I knew I was going to be gone for an extended work trip, worked out really well.

What if you consigned the guns but put a high price on them. Would that work? If you sold the guns, then you'd get a better price than you thought.

"Sell" them to friends and non effected family for a dollar each, pass out receipts to match each, and change the combo on the safe! When the time comes, you show the "proof" of sales and your good to go! Unless some one were to get a court order forcing you to open the safe(s) it's no ones business but your own! Outside of that, I would speak to your attorney for his/her advice on how to handle the assets in question, just make sure this person is working FOR you, and Not Against you! other then that, a good FFL might be able to help you!

"Sell" them to friends and non effected family for a dollar each, pass out receipts to match each, and change the combo on the safe! When the time comes, you show the "proof" of sales and your good to go! Unless some one were to get a court order forcing you to open the safe(s) it's no ones business but your own! Outside of that, I would speak to your attorney for his/her advice on how to handle the assets in question, just make sure this person is working FOR you, and Not Against you! other then that, a good FFL might be able to help you!
Two word, fair value.

The biggest issue will be secured from either party. While I have been an NRA certified instructor in the past, my wife could claim safety. Unfortunately I have no friends in Oregon I could consign them to. Gun shop us an option but I don't want to sell my best rifles, shotguns or collectables makarovs and other handguns.

I am about to go through a divorce. I have more than one safe's worth of rifles and handguns that are going to need to be put in the hands of a third party. If I sell them they become a monetary asset she can claim. If I do not, I can balance them against other assets.

I need to find a decent third party storage option in the Portland area ( west Portland).

Anyone? Please keep the " I'll hold them for you" joke comments to a minimum.

Find a good friend. Then, "I sold them for quick cash to pay the attorney fees......." ;)

"Quick cash" usually means little to nothing. ;)

"Here's 1/2 of little to nothing". ;)

I don't know anything about this other than I saw it mentioned on a podcast. The people behind it are very pro 2A people, and it is intend for temporary holding of guns for people in mental distress, but maybe you could work something out with them. It is very new and may not be fully opperational yet, but I thought I would throw it out there as a potential resource.

I don't know anything about this other than I saw it mentioned on a podcast. The people behind it are very pro 2A people, and it is intend for temporary holding of guns for people in mental distress, but maybe you could work something out with them. It is very new and may not be fully opperational yet, but I thought I would throw it out there as a potential resource.

Not up and running yet.

I take it the split isn't amicable? Even putting them into a third party's hands isn't going to guarantee you're safe. If she knows about them she can go after them, or the value of them even if you've found a good hiding spot.

I take it the split isn't amicable? Even putting them into a third party's hands isn't going to guarantee you're safe. If she knows about them she can go after them, or the value of them even if you've found a good hiding spot.
From what the OP says not so much an issue of trying to hide the value but to get them out of the house so they don't get split up and sold. He wants to be able to take their collective value as an asset and balance against something else that the soon to be ex-wife wants.
this is also meant to get the firearms out of the house so when it gets messy and it sounds like it will. She can not claim safety issues and have the firearms confiscated by our lovely so called police officers and then damaged or lost.

The goal is to have them somewhere not int he house. Unless I';ve completely missed the point he does not have anyone that he really knows who can legally hold them for him. I would follow up with Joe13 is you haven't. That shop sounds like what is likely needed.
Best wishes and as someone else mentioned make sure you have a good lawyer. Try to settle things as best possible. Sometime better to take a loss to settle quickly than drag it out and only have the lawyers get rich.

If we were buddies, you'd know a safe place.
finding somebody you trust is going to be the hard part. A friend or family that's rock solid is best bet.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top