JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey there,
I am looking at getting a new trap gun this year and wanted to know if anyone has any knowledge about the Stoeger Condor Competition? I am thinking that for the price it seems to look like a nice enough choice but i have not seen one in action. I have always wanted a BT99 but was thinking over/under would be better. I know, i know, i should get both! But i am just trying to save a few $.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks, AWS

I don't know anything about the Stoeger, but you can't go wrong with a Browning. They're kind of meat and potatoes Trap O/U's. Beretta would be another good choice.

If you've got more money than I do, you could also go with a Perazzi, but we're talking HUGE dollars there.

Yea not alot of $ these days. Beretta owns Stoeger though and i was thinking that mite not be a bad thing. Here is there history on there site.
It all began in 1923, when Austrian immigrant Alexander F. Stoeger issued a price list from his New York City shop. In it, he announced that he was the "sole authorized importer for the United States and Canada of the genuine Mauser and Luger Arms and Ammunition." German Luger pistols were among the first firearms Stoeger sold.
The next year, Stoeger issued his first catalog. And by 1931, the Stoeger catalog proclaimed the company to be "the only exclusive gun house in America."
In the 1990s, the Stoeger company was purchased by Finnish rifle manufacturer Sako. In 2000, Sako was acquired by Beretta Holding S.p.A. At that time, Stoeger Industries was placed under the ownership of Benelli USA, where it remains today as a member of the Benelli USA family of companies.
The technology and expertise of Benelli USA are integral to Stoeger's manufacturing processes. And all Stoeger products enjoy a solid reputation for affordable quality.

Remington's russian made lines of o/u shotguns are well made and very affordable-$400-500. Also I saw an ad for savage that's making an nice o/u for either 599.00 or 699.00.

Be careful with some of the really inexpensive O/U shotguns. Some of them have single Non-selective triggers which to me makes them almost worthless although I guess it would matter less on a Trap gun than on a field gun. Also, I've heard that some of the really inexpensive O/U's aren't properly regulated.

Cougfan, what do you mean by not properly regulated?

I'm assuming he means that the barrels don't shoot to the same POI. My only double shotgun is a CZ Redhead 20 guage, with 26" barrels, but you can get them with 28s. Brand new it was about $750 a couple years ago. They have a less expensive model, I think it's the Woodcock, for about the same as the Stoeger. The Redhead has a single selective trigger with ejectors, the Woodcock has double triggers and extractors. I've only put about 10 boxes through mine, but I haven't had any problems yet.

I looked at the stoegers several times. Its hard to pass up the price. But for trap, the stoegers dont have the barrel length I was after. I decided to go with the tried and tested Browning BT99. Im real happy with the quality, fit and finish. Im glad I spent the extra $$. It will last my lifetime.

I have shot with a 30" for over ten years and am not planing to go longer any time soon. I know the BT is great! The first time i shot one i fell in love! I could not miss!

I would buy a BT 99; they are now back bored, come with the invector choke system, will last you a lifetime, and can be had all day for under $1K. As long as you don't start shooting doubles (BT99s are hard to speed load), a BT99 will work well if you do your part.

Other good choice are Remington or Beretta semi-auto trap guns, both are very soft shooting, durable & reliable. Either of these autos could also be used for shooting trap doubles or Sporting Clays, which is a real blast.

If you want a O/U, Brownings can be had a deep discounts now. Both the Cynergy (my favorite) and Citori are excellent doubles that are very durable and sweet handling. I shoot a Browning Cynergy trap combo now, but started trap shooting w/ Remington 3200 O/U trap back in the 70s.

The Condor, Baikal-made Remington, & CZ (Huglo) will not hold up to the pounding that traps guns take. Research this subject well before you plunk down you hard earned dollars.

Here are some good links for researching trap guns:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/
http://www.trapshooters.com/

If you decide to go the way of the BT99. PM me, I think you are in North Plains? You are welcome to try out both of mine. I bought a 32" and a 34" and dont need both.
I picked both up very lightly used for a very good price.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top