JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking about building my first AR15,which will also be my first AR15 ever.
I'm thinking about getting a XM177 kit cause I really like how those look and I don't need or want any rails because I don't use optics or front grips,I prefer iron sights and using my support hand on the magwell,so I'll be getting the kit with the A2 upper.I'm going for the Vietnam era XM177 look so I'll also be using metal 20 round mags.

This is the kit I'm thinking about: https://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=226

Has anyone else built one of these?(if so how did it come out?)
Does anyone else know of some good kits use A2 uppers and has no rails as an option?

I'm not an expert on AR's or AR building, not by a long shot. One thing I DO know is that I saw a marked improvement in accuracy when I switched over to a free-float hand guard. As much as I like the look of the Vietnam era AR's, I'm sticking with free-float for any future builds.

I'm not an expert on AR's or AR building, not by a long shot. One thing I DO know is that I saw a marked improvement in accuracy when I switched over to a free-float hand guard. As much as I like the look of the Vietnam era AR's, I'm sticking with free-float for any future builds.
Unless free float has any other significant advantages I have no interest in making my future AR15 that ugly,I'm not to concerned with accuracy,if accuracy bothers me in the future I'll buy a matchgrade barrel.

Just a thought.......

The CAR15 used an 11.5 inch barrel and the flash hider will have to be long enough to be 16.1 inches in the end. That hider is a hollow tube where the bullet is unsupported. AND, it will have to be welded on.....to make it legal.

OR, you can still have a 16.1 inch barrel and actually reap the ballistic benefits by going with 16 inches of barrel with a standard flash suppressor. You can still go with an A2 upper if you wish. I believe true CAR15s had A1 uppers. Remember, you can add a carry handle to a flat top but you cant really get rid of one that is a part of the forging.

Disregard if the CAR15 look is what matters and the practical stuff dont.

Just a thought.......

The CAR15 used an 11.5 inch barrel and the flash hider will have to be long enough to be 16.1 inches in the end. That hider is a hollow tube where the bullet is unsupported. AND, it will have to be welded on.....to make it legal.

OR, you can still have a 16.1 inch barrel and actually reap the ballistic benefits by going with 16 inches of barrel with a standard flash suppressor. You can still go with an A2 upper if you wish. I believe true CAR15s had A1 uppers. Remember, you can add a carry handle to a flat top but you cant really get rid of one that is a part of the forging.

Disregard if the CAR15 look is what matters and the practical stuff dont.

The kit has the long 5.5 flash hider welded on so it will be perfectly legal when fully assembled. A2 is the only option for the specific kit I'm looking at,unless a flat top is wanted but I don't use optics ever so a flat top would not work for my needs,ie I don't find rails practical. The only possible sights modification I'd get would be fixed night sights.

The kit has the long 5.5 flash hider welded on so it will be perfectly legal when fully assembled. A2 is the only option for the specific kit I'm looking at,unless a flat top is wanted but I don't use optics ever so a flat top would not work for my needs,ie I don't find rails practical. The only possible sights modification I'd get would be fixed night sights.

My point is, if the tube is going to be 16 inches regardless......why not use all 16 inches?

My point is, if the tube is going to be 16 inches regardless......why not use all 16 inches?
Because I don't think I'll need the extra length,Ive shot a few AR15 pistols in .223 with 10.5 barrels and it seemed just fine,plus the huge flash hider completes the look.I don't shoot beyond 100 yards so I don't find it to be an issue.

Unless free float has any other significant advantages I have no interest in making my future AR15 that ugly,I'm not to concerned with accuracy,if accuracy bothers me in the future I'll buy a matchgrade barrel.

Match grade ammo, good barrel, and a free float handguard for precision and accuracy. While its not impossible to be accurate (consistent) with a non-free float handguard, something as simple as different hand placement can throw off the shot.

That being said, if precision isn't the goal then even a match grade barrel is pointless.

If he were going for a CAR-15 look he'd need the short barrel with welded flash hider anyways. Depending on which one he's going for that is.

Match grade ammo, good barrel, and a free float handguard for precision and accuracy. While its not impossible to be accurate (consistent) with a non-free float handguard, something as simple as different hand placement can throw off the shot.

That being said, if precision isn't the goal then even a match grade barrel is pointless.

If he were going for a CAR-15 look he'd need the short barrel with welded flash hider anyways. Depending on which one he's going for that is.

I understand its about the look, but Im just too practical to sling around 16 imches of tube if Im not getting 16 inches of performance.

Since the upper is already finished for you, then putting the lower together is rather easy unless you've been gifted with two left thumbs.
Just watch some YouTube videos showing how and with a few simple tools you will be able to knock one together.

Brother, not to sound like a fear mongering type..

But, if you're going to build an AR do it ASAP.. Right now parts are plentiful and cheap, get while the getting is good.

In this next political session who knows what'll be banned. Better safe than sorry.

Brother, not to sound like a fear mongering type..

But, if you're going to build an AR do it ASAP.. Right now parts are plentiful and cheap, get while the getting is good.

In this next political session who knows what'll be banned. Better safe than sorry.

Good advice ZA. I would add to that, if you don't have the money to do it now, get yourself a stripped lower (or 10) and stock up on magazines. They are the most likely items to be difficult to get in the future. Other stuff may be less available, but the other items are probably less likely to be restricted.

Maybe in some places but J&B always has some stripped lowers and complete lowers.
don't know your definition of always but during the Sandy Hook they had nothing like everyone else ,didn't have anything for a long time and when they did the price was real high .....like EVERYONE else

last panic was bolt carrier groups......I remember $400 used BCG and people buying them.....then $100 pmags

panic before was mags and lowers

panic before was powder and primes

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews