JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Going from the full sized 1911 to the commander is significantly easier than the defender. The 1911's locking system is longer than the other ones, which makes shortening the barrel difficult.

You weren't having issues with your technique by the sound of it, its just not easy making a short 1911.

thing is this is true with any caliber or gun. The smaller they are the more finicky they are. It can be done, but the more reliable super compact and pocket autos tend to be more expensive than their full size counterparts....

Come on, guys... @sigmadog was merely asking what sort of single-action, hammer-fired, single-stack 45 he could buy that would be more reliable than his Colt Defender. Stop using this thread as a Glock vs 1911 vehicle.

I really liked my Smith&Wesson E-Series SW1911SC, which is a comander-sized round-butt 1911. They can be found for around $1000. I only sold mine because I decided to switch to the dark side and get into tactical tupperware.

thing is this is true with any caliber or gun. The smaller they are the more finicky they are. It can be done, but the more reliable super compact and pocket autos tend to be more expensive than their full size counterparts....
While true, some are just harder to do that with. I'm not dissing the 1911, just saying why its so difficult to get it right and why its not cheap when it is right.

The 1911 is my gun of choice, and it remains that way.

and so where did you get the statistics that Glocks have survived 10,000 rds without failure? Were those rigorous govt studies too?

The Army put the 1911 up against a number of bidders for the contract to replace it when they were in the selection process for a new pistol. Since the M9 was adopted they have also done at least a couple of different RFPs for the replacement of that firearm and conducted reliability tests each time too. They published MTBF for these weapons that are a matter of public record and no I'm not going to look them up for you. For the SIG selection I'm not sure if it the one for MTBF alone was key as that was not the only criterion for selection. Ammo capacity, small grip size, distance to reset, and length of pull compatible with girls hands, among other requirements were also a factor.

I'm done here. The Dog should ditch the Defender. They don't cycle as well as five inchers do.

The Army put the 1911 up against a number of bidders for the contract to replace it when they were in the selection process for a new pistol. Since the M9 was adopted they have also done at least a couple of different RFPs for the replacement of that firearm and conducted reliability tests each time too. They published MTBF for these weapons that are a matter of public record and no I'm not going to look them up for you. For the SIG selection I'm not sure if it the one for MTBF alone was key as that was not the only criterion for selection. Ammo capacity, small grip size, distance to reset, and length of pull compatible with girls hands, among other requirements were also a factor.

I'm done here. The Dog should ditch the Defender. They don't cycle as well as five inchers do.
Just for the record, the 1911 field trials, the Colt M1911 went 6,000 rounds without a failure... And that was 106 years ago... Think they'd go more than that with today's renditions of the veneered M1911A1

I really liked my Smith&Wesson E-Series SW1911SC, which is a comander-sized round-butt 1911. They can be found for around $1000. I only sold mine because I decided to switch to the dark side and get into tactical tupperware.

I love the look of the rounded stock on the E-Series, but I wonder how that feels when held. Also, what's with the external extractor? Is that an improvement on the design or a gimmick? Your thoughts are welcome because I'm very interested in this model.

'Splain to me what the "modern day battlefield" is then, O WTF boy.

The vast majority of combatant casualties in war are by mines, bombs, rockets, missles, and all sorts of artillery from grenade launchers through cannons. This has been true for like, oh forever. In current house to house fighting in a place such as Mosul grenades, shotguns, and a short barreled M4 buzz guns are used. For the long ranges in the open desert and the in the mountains its M-4 and M-16 rifles and snipers are using .338 and even .50 caliber rifles. Light .556, medium 7.62 and heavy .50 crew served machine guns are used everywhere. Neither the Army nor Marines has hesitated to bring any of their remaining M-14s back into service either and both services have repeatedly been asking for an infantry rifle of at least 6.5mm caliber that can pack a better punch at distance than the .556x45 is capable of. The cheap bastards in DC continue to resist.

You have been watching too many special ops movies and TV shows, junior, where pistols are often featured. But why don't you find out yourself first hand and enlist? You wouldn't call a bubbleguming pistol the queen of battle then.

The vast majority of combatant casualties in war are by mines, bombs, rockets, missles, and all sorts of artillery from grenade launchers through cannons. This has been true for like, oh forever. In current house to house fighting in a place such as Mosul grenades, shotguns, and a short barreled M4 buzz guns are used. For the long ranges in the open desert and the in the mountains its M-4 and M-16 rifles and snipers are using .338 and even .50 caliber rifles. Light .556, medium 7.62 and heavy .50 crew served machine guns are used everywhere. Neither the Army nor Marines has hesitated to bring any of their remaining M-14s back into service either and both services have repeatedly been asking for an infantry rifle of at least 6.5mm caliber that can pack a better punch at distance than the .556x45 is capable of. The cheap bastards in DC continue to resist.

You have been watching too many special ops movies and TV shows, junior, where pistols are often featured. But why don't you find out yourself first hand and enlist? You wouldn't call a bubbleguming pistol the queen of battle then.
The "modern day battlefield", to my mind is more like how Warsaw was.
Hopefully you didn't dick on me much, didn't really read.

You seem like such a pleasant person...

I have a 45 I carry in my pocket daily, it has always worked great, but last time I shot it, it had been in my pocket for over a year and while it worked it wasn't pretty. It eventually refused to fire, but after a spritz of wd-40 it worked again. Anyhow I know it's all my fault for not keeping it clean, but it does make me doubtful. I started carrying my lil' .380 in a different pocket along with the 45, and left the extra mags at home. I figure it's a good backup at worst and a fast reload as well, luckily I have the extra room in my pockets

I have a 45 I carry in my pocket daily, it has always worked great, but last time I shot it, it had been in my pocket for over a year and while it worked it wasn't pretty. It eventually refused to fire, but after a spritz of wd-40 it worked again. Anyhow I know it's all my fault for not keeping it clean, but it does make me doubtful. I started carrying my lil' .380 in a different pocket along with the 45, and left the extra mags at home. I figure it's a good backup at worst and a fast reload as well, luckily I have the extra room in my pockets

Switch to Tri-Flow or just leave it in the pocket when you wash your clothes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top