JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After seeing the post of the Marlin .44 that had been shortened with a scout scope the other day got me thinking. I have not been doing much with guns lately so seems like time to make a come back in a big way.

I have a Marlin 1894 and was thinking of shortening it to 16", doing XS sights and a OD scout scope. Here are the 2 big kickers, having it made into a take down and having it threaded.

Why? Well why not? You have a nice compact gun that has a hard hitting round that is super quite and super cool. I found this site and seems to have some good reviews, Takedown Lever Actions I know it says he is not taking work right now, but worth a call.

That website is Awesome!!!

Tactical Lever Action? I normally cringe, with any abuse of that word "Tactical", but he does it justice, And, I am of the belief, that the Lever action ~Was~ indeed, the First long gun, how was it advertised, load it on Monday, and shoot it all week???

Some sort of speil like that.

I love my Rossi M92, 38/357 ... It is apart right now, for a Duracoat finish, I choose WWII OD Green, it will be the base coat,

My first project on it, was to custom fabricate, an all Brass Follower, rather than the cheap, breakable part Rossi installs. Real simple change out, and My Life Time Warrenty on it, ITS MY GUN!!!!!

and I am hand crafting a peep sight for that Stupid Locking Mechanism hole. It will be in bronze, my favorite lathing metal, (not to mention I have Ten Pounds of it, and cast it in Delft Clay, like a sand cast, but with no sand texture, just leave a little lathing clean up, and. Its Good 2 Go. That does Three things:

1. Lengthens the Sight Radius...
2. Provides Peep sight, i prefer, over the old west style upon the barrel...
3. Keeps better accuracy, than barrel mounted sights, that often get bumped, without notice....

Good luck on your project, my Duracoat arrives from Brownells Monday, was supposed to be Friday... Oh well.

philip,
In the Boon Docks, I have this little spot called my Gun Smithing Room....

Good link. Not sure why but I find that ugly as can be. For the same price I can get my Marlin done, plus get all the other things I want done.

I would be sitting down when I read the quote

They have some ridiculous calibers too. Well unless a 900# griz is wanting a plane ride

On the site it says $600 to do the take down. With the other things I want I am guessing it is going to be around $1000. Much more then that I will probably pass.

I am wondering ... if I carry a take down Marlin in a shoulder case like shown on the web site is it now a 'Concealed weapon' and does a CCW permit need be obtained to carry it that way ? I find the Marlin 1984 a very nice field carbine to carry. What are the advantages of a TD version, other than say, a 'cool look' ? Is accuracy affected at all ?

Generally no because it is a carry case and the gun is not loaded. It would all depend on the way the laws in your state are worded. Is it illegal to carry any other rifle in a case?

Well the advantage to a take down is it compact transport size. In my case no real reason other then it is cool and it is what I want. If it is a quality build there should be no accuracy issues. Takedown lever guns have been around since the late 1800's.

That is one BEAUTIFUL gun. What do you use it for if I may ask? Hunting? target? both?

Not my gun, it is for sale in the classifieds, it is what got me thinking I needed one. I emailed the seller and never heard back so guess it is not really for sale........

Like I said I am going to have mine built as a take down. This gun says the color is "earth" but looks a lot more "gun metal grey" to me, which is the color I will be going for.

Why, cause I want one. Maybe hunting, maybe target, probably just for fun. If I decide to get it done (cost is deciding factor) when I get it all back next summer I will bring it down to Yak with me and you can give it a go.

I am having one of those weeks where nothing quite seems to go right. I start feeling like everyone else is being a dumbazz. Then I check myself and wonder if it is really them, or since it seems to be everyone that it must be me.

As I said The Arms Room is not taking orders for a year. So last week I call WWG last week and asked if they were taking orders, they said yes. I commented that I would make a list of the things I would like done and email so I could get a solid quote, and they said that would work. Then I get a reply from them saying, "Hi please call us for price quotes, due to time constraints we are unable to do that via email". So why did the guy on the phone say ok to email and not tell me this?

Today I call, per the email. Told them I was looking for a quote for work on my 1894. Said I was looking to have the takedown conversion done, to have it shortened and threaded. Then he, not rudely, but kinda over talked me stating it would be about $1800. I asked just for those 2 things since I wanted more done. He said that is for the whole "package" with sights and refinish and stuff. I have no idea what sights or what other work.

I asked how to get it done and he said send them the gun, a check for a "couple hundred dollars", and a list of what I want done.

I feel like if I send them a rifle they are going to build what they want but not what I am asking for.

So is it me or them?

I am having one of those weeks where nothing quite seems to go right. I start feeling like everyone else is being a dumbazz. Then I check myself and wonder if it is really them, or since it seems to be everyone that it must be me.

As I said The Arms Room is not taking orders for a year. So last week I call WWG last week and asked if they were taking orders, they said yes. I commented that I would make a list of the things I would like done and email so I could get a solid quote, and they said that would work. Then I get a reply from them saying, "Hi please call us for price quotes, due to time constraints we are unable to do that via email". So why did the guy on the phone say ok to email and not tell me this?

Today I call, per the email. Told them I was looking for a quote for work on my 1894. Said I was looking to have the takedown conversion done, to have it shortened and threaded. Then he, not rudely, but kinda over talked me stating it would be about $1800. I asked just for those 2 things since I wanted more done. He said that is for the whole "package" with sights and refinish and stuff. I have no idea what sights or what other work.

I asked how to get it done and he said send them the gun, a check for a "couple hundred dollars", and a list of what I want done.

I feel like if I send them a rifle they are going to build what they want but not what I am asking for.

So is it me or them?

There are so many good businesses struggling to keep their doors open, they have all the right moves, when it comes to customer service they hit it out of the park every time, they deserve to be in business. On the other hand you have guys like this, It really violates my sense of fairness that folks like this seem to be successful in spite of themselves.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top