JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will not be working for the next couple of years while we are getting the kids adjusted to their new home. I am thinking of killing some of my free time going back to school a few nights a week and getting an associate degree in criminal justice. I thought I might go into juvenile probation work.

Anyone have any advice or cautions?

Sounds familiar - I still technically work for CA corrections - have a ton of leave balance on the books so I'm running out as much time as they let me before I have to cash out the vacation time. I was thinking I'd go back and get a CJ degree as well. Was thinking of going in a similar direction or possibly adult probation/parole or game warden route.

Haven't looked into what is available for classes / locations up here yet or who offers a 4 yr degree either. Let me know what you find.

I will not be working for the next couple of years while we are getting the kids adjusted to their new home. I am thinking of killing some of my free time going back to school a few nights a week and getting an associate degree in criminal justice. I thought I might go into juvenile probation work.

Anyone have any advice or cautions?

I am old LOL! and I am finishing my masters so just do it. If you hesitate it just makes it that much harder to start. I am also getting my license for a CDP at the same time.

So sign up and get going. I promise you that if you think about it and wonder you most likely won't do it. Go for it.

Scott

I have been debating the same thing recently. It is between an AS in Criminal Justice, or finishing up my Bachelors in Computer Science (have a transferable Associates).

The reason for the AS in CJ for me would be to try and get in on the Cyber Crimes unit here. I'm not sure what I would do with a bachelors in CS, I'm getting fairly bored with this line of work. I was also thinking of doing something in Forestry, which might be cool. Or becoming a ninja......

Last Edited:
I have been debating the same thing recently. It is between an AS in Criminal Justice, or finishing up my Bachelors in Computer Science (have a transferable Associates).

The reason for the AS in CJ for me would be to try and get in on the Cyber Crimes unit here. I'm not sure what I would do with a bachelors in CS, I'm getting fairly bored with this line of work. I was also thinking of doing something in Forestry, which might be cool. Or becoming a ninja......
I am in the same boat. I have my masters in psychology but have no interest in persuing a doctorate. Way too much work for way too little pay off. The increase in pay over a masters level position would take about 15 years to even pay back my education expense. By then I would be retiring. Not to mention that I am completely burnt out on the social work think. Too touchy feely. The CJ side would be similar work but without as many of the hugs and kisses.

Not to mention that I am completely burnt out on the social work think. Too touchy feely. The CJ side would be similar work but without as many of the hugs and kisses.

Oh come on now - in the current kinder gentler PC environment of today part of the job description is to become captain hug a thug :s0112: Don't know about here but in CA they have to pop positive at least 3 times before they even consider a violation and closer to 10 consecutive positive tests for weed. now you may not have to kiss them but hugs and holding hands are probably a requirement... :s0155:

Hey PP, you're good with kids. Do you coach or take groups to hills or range? I think they closed Oregon Outdoor School. If you do JJ work, you might need a head check with non distressed kids. .... just thinking outloud. Good luck.

I have a AS in Criminal Justice from Clackamas Community College. Since you already have a Masters Degree why don't you pursue a Bachelors in Administration of Justice? I would think that would look better on your resume than an Associate's. If you are looking to go into Juvenile Justice area then I would look for a program that has some good people as instructors. My juvenile justice instructor was the Juvenile Court Counselor for Clackamas County at the time. They might even have some work study programs available in that field. In any case, if you are just seeking to stay current and expand your knowledge base then I think its a goal worth pursuing.

If you have a masters in Psych you probably already qualify without an associates in Criminal Justice. And having an AS in crimin just, I doubt if it would teach you much of anything you would need to be a PO that you already don't know.

I have a AS in Crim Justice along with a BA in accounting. Crimin justice never had anything i was physically fit for. All the jobs I wanted were Fed and I had RK surgery which disqualified me. I did do a short stint in Oreg Youth Authority as part of a work eperience. But way too loud for my taste. also worked at Dept of Corrections in back office for a couple of years. Now a Policy Analyst somewhere else.

But hey, if you find it interesting, go for it. I love college and learning. I would be a professional student if I could make any money at it. Just don't think you would need a AS to add to your masters to get a job in Juvenile P&P.

If you are bored, they may have volunteer opportunities part time which you could have fun with. My wife did one for a while with displaced youths where all she did was phonecalls chekcing up on things for kids in foster care.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top