JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As stated in the title, I was thinking of getting my FFL, doing transfers out of my home and selling guns on line and at shows. I was wondering if anyone else is doing this, and if you wouldn't mind offering some advice. Thank you.

Don't you have to have a store front to get a FFL now days? I thought they weren't issuing any more kitchen table FFLs. I could be way wrong.

You are 100% right unless something has changed recently. The sent out a letter and put it up on the ATF website. I believe now you have to have a lease in hand to show shop/store location/zoning for starters.

I don't think you have to have store front in Washington, I know a couple dealers that do it out of there house. They have found out that they have to buy a certain amount of guns before they see any discount and the FBI frequents them quite often.

I browsed ATF sight and saw nothing on shop requirement. They have cracked down on zoning issues though it looks like, which probably ended alot of the home stuff.

You are 100% right unless something has changed recently. The sent out a letter and put it up on the ATF website. I believe now you have to have a lease in hand to show shop/store location/zoning for starters.

I the above is required on the new amended FFL-001 Application as it appears on their website.

Several years back I thought about upgrading from an FFL_003 and the security "required" was cost prohibitive to install in a residence.

Regs referance guide and ATF Cd-Rom,
ATF 478.11 page 36, Business premises defined: The property on which the manufacturing or importing of firearms or ammunition or the dealing in firearms is or will be conducted. A private dwelling, no part of which is open to the public, shall not be recognized as coming within the meaning of the term.

Best way to verify:
ATF PDX: 503-331-7810
SEATTLE: 206-389-5800

Leases are cheap in small town Idaho, get one for a few hundred bucks and get yourself am FFL, if the man tries to F you, ya F him back. I got a lease and used the store to sell parts of my collection and used the rest for storage.

Leases are cheap in small town Idaho, get one for a few hundred bucks and get yourself am FFL, if the man tries to F you, ya F him back. I got a lease and used the store to sell parts of my collection and used the rest for storage.

How much does the typical rental cost per sq/ft?

That might actually work if the OP were in small town Idaho. But last time I checked Beaverton is in HUGE Metro Area Oregon Like right next door to PORTLAND.

I'm planning on getting my FFL later this year or early 2013 once we figure out which "small" town we will be moving to. I do plan on finding a small shop to rent to do my holster business and sell guns/suppressors out of.:)

Been thinking about getting an FFL myself, have been wanting to for years. Now I have my main business of a cabinet shop in a 10,000 soft building and have a 400 sqft area with a separate entrance that would make a great little shop area. The shop that are here don't carry hardly any stock, so special orders would be my target. Also the only real place for ammo is Bi Mart or Wal Mart, nothing available bulk. Seems like a no brainer with no overhead costs. Don't know if I could bundle a gun shop insurance in with my other business or not....what are others paying for insurance?

You can run a shop out of your house if your zoned for a home based business and the batf will check your zoning.

This.

And as anyone who currently has an FFL will tell ya, selling guns is a easy way to go broke. With all the other kitchen table FFL's who don't need to make a buck out there selling at basically cost its hard to get in with any success. Same goes for online sales. And if you want to make money doing transfers you will have to do a crap ton of transfers to pay the bills. Not to discourage anyone from trying it out but have a backup plan and be prepared for a long road.

Only reason I got my FFL was to legally do coatings and such. Just to give an idea on "deals" to be had, most the time when I buy something I can get it just as cheap via online sources as opposed to manufacturer or distribution. Get a C&R and a dealer account with Brownell's and run with that for good prices.

Preface and disclaimer: I don't have one.

Continuing Preface and Disclaimer: I probably never will.

Experience? Only by parental advice. My father had one. For about 5 years. Thought it would help with his collecting. When he got into it, realized the jeopardy he placed upon his household (subject to search at ANY time by BATF(E)), and onerous requirements regarding bookeeping and guns coming and going: not worth the trouble or risk for a collector.

Since that time the requirements are much MORE onerous, and the cost greater. Unless you fully intend to run a business (with serious bookeeping, separating your hobby from your business, etc.), probably not a good way to go.

On the other hand, if you don't understand what a REPUBLIC is, and you have found yourself saying (at anytime about any issue), "Well, If you have nothing to hide, then you should have nothing to worry about!", then perhaps you would not mind at all a knock on the door at 2:30 AM to "check your books", and make sure that ANY gun on the books is under your roof, and any gun not on your books is not.

AND<< FOR MORE SEE THIS NEARLY IDENTICAL TIME FRAME THREAD: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/general-firearm-discussion/88913-thinking-about-applying-ffl.html

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top