JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which size barrel?

• 3"

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • 4"

Votes: 41 59.4%
  • 5"

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • 6"

Votes: 16 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Hey everybody,

Looking at getting a Ruger GP100, had a couple of quick questions and in need of some advice:

1. Can the sights be changed out on these? I kind of prefer having those little "glow" rods for night sighting (one of the ranges I go to for indoor practice isn't the best in terms of lighting).

2. How often does it need to be cleaned (usually I clean my guns after every shooting, but if something comes up, then how many rounds between cleanings is recommend?)

3. The Poll I've added is whether to go 3", 4", 5", or 6". This is mostly for target/fun shooting. Possibly competition down the road, and the rare self-defense use (very unlikely, so not an important factor).

Concealment also not necessary either, this probably rules out the 3" but I'd like to hear what people think would be the best.

I have tried it out a few times in the 3" and I think the 4" (haven't found a place the rents the other sizes yet) so I'm trying to figure out what would be the best experience.

Thanks in advance!

Well here's some quick answers for you:
1. Sights can be swapped out for fiber optic sights. At least my front sights were. however, the "glow rods" are different from night sights which actually glow in low light. The fiber optic sight will work in low light but not as well as night sights.
2. Clean it however often you want to. This could be every outing, every other outing, or never. It doesn't hurt to keep it clean and oiled up though
3. Go for the 4" model. The 6" is what i have and it's somewhat front heavy. The 4" is well balanced.

I've had a stainless 4" for about 20 years, and have shot a 6", but have no experience with 3" or 5".

The sights are easy to change. I changed my own front sight in about 20 minutes, IIRC.
I clean mine after every outing, that's what I would recommend.
I thought the 6" was a little nose-heavy. Good at the range, though. I find the 4" to be just about right for me.

Probably the strongest 357 wheel gu you can buy.Only thing that parallels it is the...yeah the other Ruger.. the Blackhawk.

Just depends on what you are buying it for.The 4" is plenty short to carry and plenty long to hunt with.

YMMV

I'd think the 4 vs 6" as the choices. Mine is 6 and yes, it is a little bit top heavy which is a PLUS for added accuracy. That added weight is very nice to have for several reasons--when you shoot max loads the blast is farther away from you. And, with my 6" I can hit milk jugs at 100 yards with iron sights. I like the added benefit of hitting targets at 50 yards, but the 4" is a better CC gun, and the 6" is super nice to carry in the woods or target. I've never been bother by the added weight. I enjoy the massive feel and weight on this one. If you can consider a SW 686 or 27--these are super nice as well. The Ruger is one hell of a gun and an excellant choice. Go with the 357:you can shoot 38 or 357 while the 327 ammo can be very hard to find.

Last Edited:
I bought a SS 4" GP100 last month. I ordered the rubber/wood grips and Hi-Viz sights from Brownells the next day. Changing the sights to fiber optics took less than 5 minutes... grip install was the same.
I believe a 4" has the best weight ratio/feel to it. Shooting .38sp semi-wadcutters was awesome.
As far as cleaning it, well, I think a gun will treat you as well as you treat it.

I have an older six inch half-lug gp100 that is not front heavy. Enjoyable gun to target shoot with, would work well for hunting, not something you can conceal easily. They haven't made the half lugs in years, but you can find them. I have a three inch, am looking for a four inch model with fixed rear sites. Whatever length barrel you get, I'm sure you'll be happy. I know quite a few old timers who think a five inch barrel on a revolver looks and balances best, but personally don't have enough trigger time behind a wheelgun to have a valid opinion there.

I recently was seriously considering a Ruger GP100. I ended up with the Smith and Wesson 686+. (I really liked the 7 shot capacity and I paid a premium for it) However, this gun is to be used for a lot of target practice and for packing when in the woods. The 4" barrel was the only size I considered. It's long enough to get decent velocity out of the magnum ammo, has a good sight radius for accuracy and is short enough to be easily packed. If I was in the market for a 6", I'd do like the fella above suggested and try to find an older half lug version.
As far as cleaning, it is best to keep it clean, but sometimes you may only shoot 50-100 rounds thru it and then will go shooting again before too long. I clean my stainless revolver every few hundred rounds and I shoot a lot of reloads that are a a bit dirtier than factory stuff. I also only shoot 357 Magnum ammo. If you shoot some 38 Special and some 357 Magnum, you should pay particular attention to keeping the cylinder clean.

I like 4" barrels on medium frame revolvers. 6" is a close second, but not as handy. Anything less than 4" and you can't really utilize .357 to it's magnum potential. 6" isn't more accurate, but it is easier to shoot accurately.

I had a stainless 4" GP100. It was a great gun. I only sold it to fund the 10mm bug. If you want to push .357mag to the limits, Ruger and/or Freedom arms are a must. Unless you like singl action, a GP100 is THE double action.

Sights are replaceable, quite easy too. On a 3" it's different than the longer models. If you want Tritium (glows in the dark) night sights, Meprolight and XS make some that fit. The Meprolight is a three dot setup and offers the brightest tritium on the market. The XS is an expess setup. They're very fast, combat sights. Some like them, some don't, I do. For this GP100 only the front site is tritium, available in standard or ''Big Dot.''

The GP100 grip ''peg'' is great, because it accomidates virtually any size grip.
I don't like the Hogue grips they come with now. The old OEM grips are fantastic. Plus you can get the compact OEM grips off a 3" model. This is great if you or someone (say kids) you know have small hands.

The trigger/action is very easy to tune up, with a Wolff spring kit and a little polishing.

While not as elegant as an old Colt or S&W. They are built like tanks.
Ruger makes the only commercialy produced double action revolver I'll buy.

I like 4" barrels on medium frame revolvers. 6" is a close second, but not as handy. Anything less than 4" and you can't really utilize .357 to it's magnum potential. 6" isn't more accurate, but it is easier to shoot accurately.

I had a stainless 4" GP100. It was a great gun. I only sold it to fund the 10mm bug. If you want to push .357mag to the limits, Ruger and/or Freedom Arms are a must. Unless you like single action, a GP100 is THE double action.

Sights are replaceable, quite easy too. On a 3" it's different than the longer models. If you want Tritium (glows in the dark) night sights, Meprolight and XS make some that fit. The Meprolight is a three dot setup and offers the brightest tritium on the market. The XS is an expess setup. They're very fast, combat sights. Some like them, some don't, I do. For this GP100 only the front site is tritium, available in standard or ''Big Dot.''

The GP100 grip ''peg'' is great, because it accommidates virtually any size grip.
I don't like the Hogue grips they come with now. The old OEM grips are fantastic. Plus you can get the compact OEM grips off a 3" model. This is great if you or someone (say kids) you know have small hands.

The trigger/action is very easy to tune up, with a Wolff spring kit and a little polishing.

While not as elegant as an old Colt or S&W. They are built like tanks.
Ruger makes the only commercialy produced double action revolver I'll buy.

I have a 4" GP100. It's great, but I've shot and handled a friend's 6" GP100 a bit... I like it more. I didn't find it too front-heavy, and it makes the already tame recoil even softer with the added weight. The added sight radius is nice and the velocity those extra two inches generate could come in handy for hunting. I would make sure to pay the extra money and get the stainless version.

How often I clean mine depends on how dirty the loads I am shooting are. I reload and the GP100 is a great platform to learn reloading with... You can test out those maximum pressure loads without worrying too much.

Once upon a time I carried a 4" Gp100 as a duty revolver. It was a great gun, would handle loads that would tie up my smith 66. I'd be happy to own/shoot another. I keep hoping Ruger will make on as a 5 shot .45 colt or .44 mag.

I have the 4" GP100 in Stainless, and it is my favorite pistol. I clean it after every shoot (50-100 rds), but that's just me. Avoid soft point .38 sp for target practice as the cylinder gets much harder to clean. My favorite are the .38 +p loads, whenever I can find them... but, I digress.

I have a hip holster for it that fits perfectly, for hiking or concealment if necessary. The right holster makes the weight a non-factor. I've had no trouble shooting .357 accurately through the 4" bbl out to 20-25 yards.

Don't think I can really add any more to what has already been said. But like the other s I have 1 in 6" and love it! My favorite range gun. Easy to clean and tear down, give mine a basic cleaning every trip to the range and complete tear down every 250 or so. I probably have close to 2000rds on mine with absolutely no issues. The Wolfe springs are great for it and take about 10 minutes to change out. No matter what barrel you chose you are going to get a revolver that goes bang every time at a reasonable price. You can usually find them for around $450 used in really good shape. Good luck!

I have a 6" with the short shroud. It is a great range gun. If I was going to carry it in the woods or while camping I would go with the 4". If not, the the longer sight radius of the 6" would be best for target shooting.

Sights: Currently the 4" and 6" GP100s come with adjustable rear sights, whereas the 3" has fixed rear sights. Ruger used to offer the 4" with fixed or adjustable sights but that was a long time ago when they were marketing versions of this gun for LEO work.

IMO: 6" best suited for hunting / target shooting; 4" could be carried concealed easier than the 6" and equates to a more traditional service type revolver; but for CCW options the 3" is best. Plus the fixed rear sight would be less prone to breakage or to snag on clothing during a draw).

What about the 5"? ...choices choices choices....

I own a 6" and I would highly recommend it. It is a comfortable and accurate SOB. Also I feel that the muzzel flip is cut down by the 6" compared to the 4" (some may not agree). You won't be sorry with any size GP100, they are amazing pistols.