JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like buying silver. Especially bars and rounds that have cool historical lineages that are not price influencers. For example.....this 10 oz bar minted in 1981.

20200215_062932.jpg

Silver and gold are long term investment savings and a hedge against inflation.

Unless you just like to collect them, they do have cool ones like star wars coins and stuff.

And there are places that will store it for you, and charge a chunk of change to do so. I found one that doesn't charge me but, it's in Canada and involved lots of paperwork so I'm not going to recommend it. I actually have both, one I pay for every year with their storage fees and the one that doesn't. (And I have Bitcoin)

Along with apmex I also had good luck with jmbullion, if you want to store it locally.

I get two silver ounce coins every Christmas from my parents, they do the same for my kids as well (4 kids). When I turned 20 I started buying silver bullion (1once at a time) and as I got older I started buying silver bars (10oz). I keep them in sealed worn looking pales that can be gunned in plain sight, LOL. One time I was going to cast some lead bullets and grabbed the wrong bucket and almost made an expensive mistake.

I look at gold as a long term investment, 20k in cash you stashed away in the 80's is worth less now, gold obviously much more, a 20k down payment on Realestate in the 80s and you now own the home and its appreciated way more than the gold. Are you trying to invest diversify or just buy a couple thoseand in yellow stuff you can admire?

1/10 ounce gold bars or coins are worthy investments in my opinion.

Fractional gold. You can also get 1/4 oz but the premium is higher when you buy fractional pieces.

Did anyone here get to see the Mel Fisher tour of Atocha artifacts that rolled through Portland back in the late 90's?

I took a half day off from work to go see it. I was standing over a case drooling on the glass while looking at this impossibly long gold wedding chain when this guy taps me on the shoulder. I turned around and he says "Try this" and drops a a 3 lb gold bar into my hands.

2061a3667fa0306786f4260c47dc6976--colombian-gold-gold-bullion-bars.jpg

Silver is a better buy.

Maybe if you are buying 5K
"Thinking of buying gold coins..."
You should see a psychiatrist about thoughts like those, especially if you think a reputable dealer is going to let you "test" your purchase to make sure you're "not getting ripped off."

Are you always so rude? You've been reported to the mods for insults....go away. And yes when I'm buying as much as I'm buying, they will let me test it....the ladies eyes got real big when I mentioned the quantity.

I'd leave my money in the bank and when the market crashes again (and it will eventually) Buy more real estate. Diversify and go into commercial property or buy your self a cabin on a lake.

I didn't say this was all my money though. This is just a small portion of it. I have enough to buy 6 more houses here, I just want to diversify a little bit...I am also looking at a vacation house in Las Vegas and Florida since I go to both frequently. I usually take 2-3 trips a year either to those or Hawaii, London, etc.

But yes I am buying more real estate, although after issues with 3 of my tenants in the last couple months, I'm really starting to hate being a landlord lol. Entitled liberals are a PITA to have as tenants. Gotta love people who can't afford to even rent a house unless they do it with 4 people total, yet want to tell me how to be a landlord when I can carry all my mortgages by myself and own multiple rentals with huge down payments....:rolleyes:

I didn't say this was all my money though. This is just a small portion of it. I have enough to buy 6 more houses here, I just want to diversify a little bit...I am also looking at a vacation house in Las Vegas and Florida since I go to both frequently. I usually take 2-3 trips a year either to those or Hawaii, London, etc.

But yes I am buying more real estate, although after issues with 3 of my tenants in the last couple months, I'm really starting to hate being a landlord lol. Entitled liberals are a PITA to have as tenants. Gotta love people who can't afford to even rent a house unless they do it with 4 people total, yet want to tell me how to be a landlord when I can carry all my mortgages by myself and own multiple rentals with huge down payments....:rolleyes:

Have you thought about using a property management firm to handle your rental properties? Yes, it is a cost of course but it's a deductible expense and worth the money to have that separation between tenants and owner IMO.

I look at gold as a long term investment, 20k in cash you stashed away in the 80's is worth less now, gold obviously much more, a 20k down payment on Realestate in the 80s and you now own the home and its appreciated way more than the gold. Are you trying to invest diversify or just buy a couple thoseand in yellow stuff you can admire?

Not if you bought gold in 1980 -- in inflation adjusted dollars you'd still be upside down. Now if you bought gold in 2000, you'd be up 4x, but if you bought Apple stock in 2000, you'd be a real winner (cost about $2.50 per share, two 2:1 splits so you'd have 4x as many shares as you bought, currently running about about $325 per share, so $1000 in gold in 2000 would be worth about $4-5k now, and 400 apple shares bought then, would now be 1600 shares and worth $500,000).

Gold:

Apple:

Maybe if you are buying 5K

5k in 2009 bought 500 oz silver (@$10/oz) - By 2011 that same 5k/500 @10 went for nearly $50/oz. $5k got you $25,000. :cool:

5K of gold in that same period (@1k/oz.) in gold only brought $1,750 an oz - or $8,750 for that same 5k investment. :(

Of course this is just one example - but I hear this argument sometimes and have to think...
Rate of Return....:rolleyes:

Then there's all that talk about how and why the silver market is totally and artificially suppressed... but that's another conversation. :)

Practical question. Once you've melted it down and poured it into a different shape/size/whatever -- who's gonna know?
Man, I'm learning a lot from this thread.
Your comment made me go and search out the actual law that says its illegal.
Here's what I found out....
I couldn't find anywhere where it said that this is illegal (despite quotes I've seen in the past! :mad: ).
I did, however, find this...

1. Is it illegal to damage or deface coins?

Section 331 of Title 18 of the United States code provides criminal penalties for anyone who fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the Mints of the United States. This statute means that you may be violating the law if you change the appearance of the coin and fraudulently represent it to be other than the altered coin that it is. As a matter of policy, the Mint does not promote coloring, plating or altering U.S. coinage: however, there are no sanctions against such activity absent fraudulent intent.

The keyword here would be "fraudulent".
When you take a 25 cent piece and try to pass it off as a Sacajawea Dollar, that's fraud.
When you take a Buffalo Nickel, and scratch out one of its legs and try to sell it as a rare collectible, that's also fraud.
When you melt a pre-1982 cent, and sell it for its copper value, that is, apparently, genuine and legal.
So, that's what I'll go with, until another thread, and the rest of the internet, says otherwise.

Dean

Last Edited:
I like buying silver. Especially bars and rounds that have cool historical lineages that are not price influencers. For example.....this 10 oz bar minted in 1981.

View attachment 660133
I was curious, so I looked it up.
Acording to Money Metals Exchange, Silver's current price is $17.81/oz.
That makes your bar currently worth $178.10. Nice.
(btw, that site also says Gold is at $1585.95).

Dean

Man, I'm learning a lot from this thread.
Your comment made me go and search out the actual law that says its illegal.
Here's what I found out....
I couldn't find anywhere where it said that this is illegal (despite quotes I've seen in the past! :mad: ).
I did, however, find this...

The keyword here would be "fraudulent".
When you take a 25 cent piece and try to pass it off as a Sacajawea Dollar, that's fraud.
When you take a Buffalo Nickel, and scratch out one of its legs and try to sell it as a rare collectible, that's also fraud.
When you melt a pre-1982 cent, and sell it for its copper value, that is, apparently, genuine and legal.
So, that's what I'll got with, until another thread, and the rest of the internet, says otherwise.

Dean

Around early 2000 the copper in pennies, and the zinc in nickles out weighed their face value....
US Mint changed up and made melting them illegal to profit from.

...and 14 years ago when that article was written, that was true, but I found a more up-to-date article (only has a 2020 copywrite at the bottom) that is a little more comprehensive than the one I quoted earlier, but it still pretty much backs up what I wrote in post # 37.

Check it out.... Is It Illegal to Melt/Destroy US Pennies and Other Coins? | Make it From Metal

Dean

Making jewelry (and adding value) is ok... (deface, alter, destroy...)
But smelting solely for the purposes of gaining profit from the raw base metal, (Copper and nickel) is still verboten.

(Your link)

"What is illegal is if you get a whole pile of coins, melt them down, and sell the bullion as scrap metal. Why on earth would someone do this, you ask?
Because, on very rare occasions, you could make a sweet profit.
For example, in 2011 the American economy wasn't doing so great. The nickel was actually worth less than the metal used to make it. Technically, you could collect a truckload of nickels, melt them all down, and sell them for a profit.
Obviously, this would be pretty annoying for the US Mint. That's why there's this law about not melting down the low-value coins. Once people catch on and start up new scrap metal businesses, there would be a financial strain on the US government to make new coins. It would cost them more than they'd get.
This has actually been a common problem in history. As soon as the the materials of a coin are higher than the coin itself, people are quick to melt down and cash in.

If you're caught with an underground coins-for-scrap business, you could face $10k in fines and up to 5 years in prison."

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top