1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of buying a muzzleloader

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by manakiah, Jun 6, 2010.

1. manakiah

manakiah Issaquah Wa Member

I'm thinking about buying a Muzzleloader. Any suggestions for Hunting Elk in Washington? I Don't know anything about muzzleloading. I know the hunting regs say the cap must be exposed to the weather? Any Help would be great! Thanks Jason:huh:
  2. Izzy

Izzy Oakridge Active Member

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I've always been a big fan of traditional styles. Contemporary inline models do nothing for me. A muzzleloading firearm will cleanly take an elk. The challenge to the hunter lies in getting close enough to the game to make that happen.

Personally I prefer to use a rifle or smooth rifle of 54 caliber or greater, a patched round ball and genuine black powder for elk. I have been accused of being over gunned though. A fifty caliber would do just fine.

A wonderful site for traditional muzzleloading is www.muzzleloadingforum.com
  4. DSbur

DSbur Vancouver WA Member

andy* Everson Wa Member

Some good advice given above. I use a .54 Hawken rifle with 75 grains of FF powder a .15 patch and a .530 round ball for deer. On Elk and bear I use 120 grains of ff powder, the rest of the load is the same. Make sure you use blackpowder only. If you are ever up to the Bellingham/Everson area give me a shout, we have a blackpowder club out this way... Andy
  6. bwells

bwells Longview Member

I like the traditional designs, but I shoot lefty and that's the one righty rifle that I'd rather not try. I got a TC Scout (looks like a fat barreled Win M94 without the lever) because the hammer's in the middle. It's a 54 cal, and I load it with 348 grain powerbelt hollowpoints. It should be enough for elk, assuming that one shot is in the right place.

As far as the exposed cap, as long as you're careful to keep water away, it isn't a huge problem. I usually just carry it with a hand wrapped over the top where the cap is, and I've never had a misfire or hangfire that I can remember.
  7. Ding

Ding Lighter Side of Oz Active Member

nothing like it.It is a blast.The hammer covers the nipple and when ya get ready just pop a cap on,otherwise put a cap on and lower the hammer,cover the cap with a piece of electrical tape.The tape allows ya to shoot and keeps the cap dry.many options.I have a 54 cal.target loads range 70-90 grns ,hunting I push 100-110 grns of FF or FFF.
  8. cyclesurvival

cyclesurvival Vancouver Well-Known Member

I have a T/C Hawkins with a green mountain barrel 1-28 twis I shoot 250 grain sabots with 100 grains triple 7, 2 deer with this one no elk yet. I also have a CVA magnum inline. IM going to use this year if I can get a load dialed in. I have tried ff,fff,pellets, and others but keep going back to triple 7 just me, but its not quite as dirty and more consistent.
  9. rmlarsen

rmlarsen Seattle Member

The Cascade Mountain Men muzzleloading club shoots every month (3rd Sunday I believe) at the Issaquah Sportsmans club over by the high school.
  10. tac

tac UK, Oregon and Ontario. Well-Known Member

Have a look here, too - www.muzzleloadingforum.com

A NWP local boy on that forum, Wattsy, lives in Beaverton, I bleeve. An occasional poster there, like me.

Supporter of The Cape Meares Lightouse Restoration Fund