JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So with the thread about the gunbroker fal that @jp1985 was looking to buy, it kind of has me hot and bothered about building one from a parts kit I bought years ago. Along with that I have various parts and pieces and accessories from having owned a fal and a franken L1A1 for almost 20 years. I would need to purchase, rent or borrow some tools and of course a receiver. So that leads me to my first question, has dsa really sorted out their qc issues on their receivers? On the fal files I see there were issues with current production as late as 2017 but I can't find anything definitive about if these issues have been corrected or not. I am ok with looking for a imbel but it looks like I will have to budget another $500 or so to get ahold of one instead of a cheaper dsa. I haven't looked at my kit for 15 years but if iirc it is a standard 21" metric kit of some sort. I and kind of thinking of turning it into a para build and cutting the barrel down to 16 or 18". The parts kit is very well worn on the outside and I kind of dig it so I would maybe leave it in true battleworn condition and just do some kind of clearcoat for a bit of corrosion protection. The other option would be a redneck rattle can custom dura-coat camo job of some sort. At this point it is all just kind of mental masturbation but I can see it happening at some point. Any comments or direction from you experienced fal builders is appreciated. Fire away!:s0003:

So, right off, I will say that in my experience with DSA upper receivers, YES, they are well sorted and good to go now! I have one full DSA build ( Factory rifle) One I did up from a Kit with the DSA upper, and One I did as a Blue Print build with another DSA upper, all three were purchased between 2008 and 2018, and all three are flawless! I would have no issue ordering another from them, and they do have a decent warranty, so If you did get a junker, simply send it back.
As far as a Para, I would make the desision on that right away, they need specific parts that do not interchange between the types, and you also want to decide on any of the numerous "Up Grades" you want to make it exactly the way you want it As far as tools, go, the only things you really need are the receiver wrench, and some sort of alignment tool and head space/bolt block measure! There are a few ways to skin that cat, so pick what you prefer or may already have tools for! The rest can be done with tools you likely already have!

I know there is/was a PDF floating around you could copy for free that had the blue print for making your own Receiver tool, but you are going to need to do some digging!
Kinda like this:
1589396458482.png

The para stuff if I go that way is already installed on my L1A1 and I would just use that para kit and return the L1A1 back to previous form. I has been so long since I put it on the L1A1 so I don't remember exactly what I had to do to make it fit but I do remember that it did not require any irreversible mods. The para kit was designed to fit all metric receivers so I should be gtg there. I am not sure I can whittle a receiver wrench out much cheaper than I can buy but I will consider it as I do have a milling machine. First thing I am going to do is try and find that parts kit and figure out what I really have to work with.

Well found my parts kit. Can anybody hazard a guess what kind of kit it is? Looks like most of the kit is possibly of Belgian origin? They did do a paratrooper version so it would not be too out of style to turn it into a paratrooper I am thinking. Any thoughts?
B5EB3CAE-36AB-45CF-BD31-3FF0B2900360.jpeg B6F9322A-DE01-41AC-96AC-79857E507B4F.jpeg 0D739B51-8390-4B2B-ABFB-70C815C6051F.jpeg 37096848-FCFC-459D-B835-0CFAB598AF59.jpeg

Just found this thread re: FAL parts kits.

I see Palmetto State Armory has some Israeli FAL parts kits for $299. You have to buy a receiver and barrel separately. So I'm estimating the parts altogether is roughly just under $900.

How much does it cost to have one built for you? Or rather, how much of this can you do at home? I don't have the right tools to install a bbl.

@Aero Denezol @LuckySG is a DSA Dealer and would be more then happy to contact them on your behalf to build the FAL of your dreams!
Cost wise, that depends on what you want, but YOU really need to talk to Jeremy for those particulars, trust me, it's worth your time!

If you want to try on a full DSA FAL, let me know! :cool:

As far as building one at home, its super easy to do, if you can build a AR, you can build a FAL, the only specific tool you really need is the receiver wrench I listed above, head space measuring and adjusting is easy, and barrel/sight alignment is easy enough during the barrel torquing process!

Looks like an Imbel kit to me. Good stuff. I have built many an FAL, I have all the tools etc. If you want to build one yourself, give me a shout, I don't mind loaning my tools to guys who want to try building. Get more people into my favorite rifle type!

Looks like an Imbel kit to me. Good stuff. I have built many an FAL, I have all the tools etc. If you want to build one yourself, give me a shout, I don't mind loaning my tools to guys who want to try building. Get more people into my favorite rifle type!
You wanna know what really sucks about the FAL is though? And its a big one...

We'll never get more imports, and not even the fancy .308 IA-2. :(

A very generous offer sir and I may just take you up on it. This project got back burnered while I wait for that unicorn imbel receiver to come along. I may just have to take a chance on a dsa and build it.

I have two fal metric barrels if someone is in need of swapping one out. Chrome lined not pristine they have gas blocks no guts.
Also have a hvy barrel Israeli gas block.
They're just spare parts I accumulated.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top