JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is the recoil the bigger issue or the blast? If its mainly for defense why not switch to milder but still potent .44 Special load? I shoot both 240Gr JHP's and 180Gr JHP's in my first gen Taurus .44 Special with 4" barrel and and 5 shots.

Is the recoil the bigger issue or the blast? If its mainly for defense why not switch to milder but still potent .44 Special load? I shoot both 240Gr JHP's and 180Gr JHP's in my first gen Taurus .44 Special with 4" barrel and and 5 shots.
I would say the concussion of the blast is worse than the kick.

Never saw a reason to own a S&W mod 29, as I've owned the Ruger Redhawk 5.5" and it has served me well... normally carry the HSM 305-gr Bear Loads for the outdoors, but have carried and shot the Underwood 340-gr +P+ which will get your attention after 6 rounds. They aren't for range ammo purposes though... but still fun to shoot so you know what to expect.

I had to have a .44 mag when I was younger, so I got a super Blackhawk 7.5 " barrel. shot it a bunch, loaded some real stout 300 grn. loads for it, which I found to be no fun to shoot at all. then it sat in the safe for about eight years. I finally sold it thinking that I had satisfied my revolver itch, well nope. so I bought a GP-100 .327 federal mag. it is much more pleasant to shoot so I do a lot more than I did with the .44.

I had to have a .44 mag when I was younger, so I got a super Blackhawk 7.5 " barrel. shot it a bunch, loaded some real stout 300 grn. loads for it, which I found to be no fun to shoot at all. then it sat in the safe for about eight years. I finally sold it thinking that I had satisfied my revolver itch, well nope. so I bought a GP-100 .327 federal mag. it is much more pleasant to shoot so I do a lot more than I did with the .44.
Too bad you didn't explore hot heavy .44 sp loads while you had your 44.

I could never decide either:
MPS03754 (Medium).JPG

So I picked this up from the classifieds a few years ago with the 8" barrel and scope mount. I then added the rest of the barrels.

I mostly use the 2.5" and 6" barrels.

I have found the 10" barrel pretty worthless for me. WAY too heavy/ungainly to carry and the 8" barrel does everything the 10" does.

Last Edited:
In .357 mag I also found 2.5" and 6" most useful. For years I had two Ruger Security 6es, one snubby, one 6". The 6" was my home defense gun as well as woods gun, and the gun I carried when walking my dog(s) at night. I was a young broad then, 6' 9", and slender, and could carry the 6" Security concealed on my hip easily because its curves complemented mine. I used the snubby for CC in situations where I was gardening, doing plant breeding, which involved a lot of bending over, and more social situations where hugging happens. In these situations I carried the snubby in a fanny pack. These days the Ruger snubby has been replaced by a 686 snubby. And the role of the 6" .357 is played by SW or Ruger 44s.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top