JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I rarely use my Super Blackhawk 7.5 inch but it is very handy when I am in remote Oregon with my dogs. I never hunt with it. I have a SW 629-1 scoped but it has a severe muzzle blast and it is a 6 or 8 inch barrel. Now, 44 mag ammo is plentiful but not 357. Any ideas on which way I should go or simply can the idea? I was thinking of a Super Redhawk in a 4" or a 9.5 inch or a Superblack Hawk in 10.5. My eyes are 75 years old and vision is sharp. Any suggestions? thx.

You're kinda all over the place here. Are you looking to pick something up for woods defense?

It sounds like you already have some long-barreled 44s for hunting you don't use?

Seems like a 4" 44 might be the ticket if I'm following you right. Pick your favorite brand and a good holster.

I was thinking of a longer barreled 44 to keep the blast away from my face, but the 4" was attractive. Thinking the Ruger because of inherent strength vs the SW. BB does not suggest their 44 Mag in a SW.

I haven't found an extra few inches of barrel length to make a lick of difference in blast to the face. In fact, I haven't noticed ANY blast to the face from any wheelgun, other than the 500 mag with crappy handloads.

I use the Buffalo Bore 255gr "Keith" loads in my early 80's era S&W 29. They aren't the nuclear loads, but I can get all 6 shots on an 8" plate @ 10 yards in around 6-7 seconds on average. I don't think in a defensive gun the 300+gr monsters do you a lick of good.

The shorter barrel is handy for drawing and just moving around with, but at a cost of recoil and velocity loss. I think it's worth the tradeoff.

My opinion, if you already have a long barreled SBH, I'm not sure you'll get much out of a long barreled SRH. If you don't like your 629, maybe sell that and get the short barreled SRH. A 9.5" .44 is a BIG gun and that means a HEAVY gun. Heavy guns seem to stay in the safe more often than not.

Since you seem to have .44 covered in general, why not buy a .357 anyway? Ammo may be scarce however it's not impossible to find and it does offer something different. Just my .02

I have several 357's in SW 686 in 4", Ruger GP 100 6" and a SW 327 R8 in 5 inch. Think I will go with a 4" SRH or 4" GP 100 in 8 shot. Leaning to the SRH in 4" . I do not know about the SW although the quality is better and price is not a factor.

BB does not suggest their 44 Mag in a SW.
I don't think that applies to all of their .44 Mag ammo. To be honest, I wouldn't want to shoot that Heavy +P+ ammo in a Ruger either. Not because the gun couldn't handle it - because I wouldn't enjoy it. :eek:

I don't live or hunt in grizzly country, so I'm quite content with my S&W 629 with a 5" barrel. I find that barrel length to be the right fit for the size of the frame. Just as I find the 4" barrel to be the right fit for the S&W 686 plus .357 magnum frame.

I own a 9.5 SBH ,5.5 RH and a BH 4.65 all in 44 mag. My favorite is Blackhawk 4.65" barrel version because it is easier to carry in the woods and super fun to shoot, big old flash lol
The 9.5" SBH definitely is the lightest recoiling handgun of the bunch.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top