JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Best to consider the camera in your phone.

Huawei P20 Pro vs Canon 5DS R: I'm Stunned…

This compares a Chinese camera phone - not readily available in the USA - you have to buy the phone then get a plan.
To a higher end Canon DSLR
Professional DSLR Cameras - Canon UK

The 'phone' is about the price of just the lens tested. Add another 3k to buy the body.

The "best" camera, is the one you have with you.
Learn how to make the most of it.

I like this site for reviews/comparisons
Home | Photography Blog

So, the conclusion? I certainly won't be giving up my 5DS R in a hurry, but the quality of the photos from the P20 Pro is astounding. And what's more, this is a clear indication of the importance of computational photography and how this will become the leading factor in the success of mirrorless cameras as these develop.

Oh, but you like dragging around lenses of all flavors ...

NAB 2018: This adapter lets you attach huge cinema lenses to your smartphone

Last Edited:
Dual lens iPhone X with me at all times.

When I'm going to do a specific photography shoot I'll take my Nikon with a good selection of lenses.

Both worlds are covered. :)

I've noticed iphone cameras turn to crap after after 6mths-year. I've been thinking about getting a pocket camera. But have areally hard time choosing. With young (who don't sit still) it's hard to take a good clear photo without a big camera.

I've noticed iphone cameras turn to crap after after 6mths-year.
That's interesting, I don't believe that to be a factual statement though. From the 6 line/series and forward the cameras have been remarkable. The leaps and bounds that have happened in technology and the software interpreting those images with such a small sensor is pretty darn cool. I have noticed on my pop's 5 that the quality isn't there, it never really was there when they were new but compared to previous cameras they were darn nice. I was running a 6s for two years and ran great photos from start to finish. I do though ensure that I take immaculate care of my devices, keep them cased and make sure my camera lens is not covered in dirt or lint and such.

I could snap a photo with my 6s and then with my 24MP Nikon.. when viewed on computer screen they could look identical... until you zoomed in and that's where the extra pixels on the Nikon reigned supreme.

Huawei has partnered with Leica to build the camera in their phone. The output will rival a dslr under certain lighting conditions. Here is a review:

Huawei P10 camera review

IIRC Leica just built a new factory in China.

But in poor light a camera phone still can't touch a large sensor in a full frame (24x36) camera. The larger sensor will always have better dynamic range, with greater ability to not blow out highlights and shadows.

We are getting close to the point, however, where it is getting harder and harder to justify a dedicated camera.

The Google Pixel 2 does even better:

Review: Google Pixel 2 is the best smartphone for stills photographers

What is least cost full frame camera? - Maybe one of those sold at CostCo or a Pentax somewhere
1k range. Then you have to add len(s) (the cheap ones at CostCo are not Full Frame sensors - APS-C is typical)

The break thru is in computing power. Using the multiple cameras, or shots, to create a image which is remarkable.

Also, we are expecting full frame mirrorless cameras from Canon and Nikon. Adding a bit of computational power, might make these a profitable segment in the market (for a few years)

I have a co-worker who was a film camera snob. Sold him my old Canon setup to get him in digital (T3i) plus extra lens. He just had his first baby last weekend. All the pictures I have seen came from ... his $50 off brand (Blu) cell phone. Yep. Snobbery aside, the camera that is with you is the best one.

(same for firearms)

I have a dedicated "grand kid" camera. One of those "tough" ones. I got a Fuji at Costco (F3.8) Olympus Tough is the best in the segment but cost a lot more 600 vs 150. Got it cause I know the grand kids are dusty, dirty, sandy, wet and rough.

I also have a portrait camera- small fits in jacket pocket. APS-C sensor, 12 meg pixels. F1.7 (effectively F2) Lumix LX100. For when I am planning to take a picture - such as at a family gathering.
But I am not sure I would buy one of these again given the newest Smarty-Pants phones.
I got this Lumix as it also shoots RAW. But the new P20 has a RAW mode.

Where doestn't these fit? If you are into artistic shooting where you need specific lens, modes or the combination. If say you are going out to take photos for yourself and you like that process.

Also, no one is suggesting your phones video mode is good enough ... but with just a couple of add ins ...which you would want for a DSLR/Mirrorless anyway - such as an external mic .... they are close in video realm.

Mothers Day, Fathers Day are both traditional we sell a lot of cameras holidays.

Here are 3 high end Smarty-Pants cameras available in US on major networks
Shootout: Samsung Galaxy vs Google Pixel vs Apple iPhone

It's called "computational photography", and still not ready for primetime, but could be the wave of the future.
I think this is "now" If you don't have it, buy it, get it.

From the article above
"Here the Pixel 2's incredible HDR processing stands out, rendering the sky and hillside better than the other phones." Rendering = Computational

Yeah, the artificial depth of field on the iphone portrait mode would also be computational photography.

I wouldn't be surprised to see sixteen lenses on the iphone 14.

I'm pretty shaky taking pictures with a phone, unless I can brace against something. I've got an old Canon compact camera and I've rarely messed up a picture holding it against my face and looking through the viewfinder.

When we were down in Mexico this past winter doing volunteer work at an orphanage, I was sending email updates to family and friends. One of my cousins asked if the wife was with me. I had to take a picture of her to include in the next update to prove she was. All the pictures in the emails just showed me, as the wife was taking all them.

@RicInOR
I run the entry level Nikon D3400 and I have some good lenses. After learning the equipment I can take some good photos in any situation. My favorite is night shooting.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads