JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
consistent MOA in a semiauto is going to be a challenging / expensive pursuit. few guns will do it out of the box, and those that do are expensive.

springfield national match M1A might get you there.

I would not recommend a FAL variant. I've owned five over the last 19 years (currently own three), and while I like them, the platform has limitations. There's a reason the Brit Army went with the LMT AR-style platform for their DMRs, despite having had thousands of retired L1A1 rifles in stock.
I also have an HK91 clone, and while it's a great rifle, it would not be my choice for a precision rifle.
Like others have said, I believe the AR-10 or M1A platforms are the way to go.

I would not recommend a FAL variant. I've owned five over the last 19 years (currently own three), and while I like them, the platform has limitations. There's a reason the Brit Army went with the LMT AR-style platform for their DMRs, despite having had thousands of retired L1A1 rifles in stock.
I also have an HK91 clone, and while it's a great rifle, it would not be my choice for a precision rifle.

Good advice, you don't happen 2 b the same gaijinsamurai from MP.net ;)

Anyway, I just have a fetish for the old-school rifle that is the M1 Garand. Hence why I own an M1A which is 'my dog in this fight' going against the AR-10. Honestly for a long-range precision rifle, the AR-10 might give you a nice advantage being as how you can ALMOST free-float the barrel with the direct-impingement gas system. Then again, I still don't like DI, if I really needed extreme accuracy at long-range... Would probably just go with a bolt-action; Remmington 700, Savage, etc.

Oh and just for fun you could look into a 'Tiger' (almost the same as a Russian SVD/Dragunov). Then you will be truly stepping into the cool-kid realm of owning a DMR :cool: I've seen variants in 7.62x54R, 7.62x51(.308), .30-06, and 9.3x64
Not to be confused with a PSL, which foolishly some people think is the same thing as an SVD :confused:

Yugo M77?

Decent mags, gas adjustment the only down side is the slant cut yet still yugo style rear receiver.

Perhaps some coercing with ACE or CNC worrior and we can get a decent stock or adapter.

Also the Vepr hunter (just a lack of available mags)

Personally I went with the DPMS LR-308 but if you want something else to consider you might look into the FNAR. I believe they are guaranteed sub MOA with match ammo out of the box. A fellow instructor has one and it is a nice shooting rifle.

I wanted a shorter 16" barrel and a SOCOM was not available so I got a AR-10 Model: AR-10(T) Carbine with Free Float Handguard in Black
Caliber: .308/7.62 X 51mm NATO
Barrel: 16" Stainless Steel Barrel, Threaded 5/8 - 24
Rifling Twist: RH 1:10"
Muzzle Device: Flash Suppressor
Front Sight Base: Gas Block with Picatinny Rail
Upper Receiver: Forged Flat Top Receiver with Picatinny Rail and Forward Assist
Trigger: Two Stage National Match
Overall Length: 37.5"
Weight: 8.61 lbs
Accuracy: 1 MOA

I like it

I just picked up a POF P308 16.5". Its guaranteed sub moa, weighs 8.75lbs, has an adjustable gas piston system, monolithic rail, etc. I found mine on guns America nib for just under $2k. That leaves you $500 for scope and rings.

Here it is with my swfa 5-20.

2014-02-06%2003.31.37.jpg

I just picked up a POF P308 16.5". Its guaranteed sub moa, weighs 8.75lbs, uses easy to find pmags, has an adjustable gas piston system, monolithic rail, etc. I found mine on guns America nib for just under $2k. That leaves you $500 for scope and rings.

Here it is with my swfa 5-20.

2014-02-06%2003.31.37.jpg

<broken link removed> -> accuracy

doesn't say how they measure accuracy. is it five 5 shot groups averaged, or is it the barfcom technique of shooting a bunch of 3 shot groups and cherry picking the one group that was under MOA and ignoring all the others.

It's hard to say how they measure moa or better. But I've read on other forums about people sending them back, and pof taking care of the problem. Most of those were when they were separating from Hogan. Here are some groups from today with 168 fgmm. I was definitely not doing my part, and the wind wasn't helping. I need some more time behind this, but so far I'm happy.

This one I'm still sighting in the new scope.

20140222_181104.jpg 20140222_181100.jpg

looks like about 1.2 moa to me?

That's about right. I'm sure it'll be better with a bipod and a good rear bag. I'm still getting used to the recoil pulse as well. I'm used to shooting a 12 pound bolt gun. I'll order the bipod adaptor this week. And hopefully next week get out to the 200-300 yard range at Tri County. If I'm doing my part it should be a .75 moa rifle. Maybe better with hand loads tailored to this particular rifle. I've only tried fgmm 168 so far.

I have an older POF 308 with the Timney trigger and 5R barrel, (not sure what the current spec is), and it's a consistent sub 1moa gun in the hands of one of my colleagues... I on the other hand, can usually manage sub 2 on a good day :-/
Spend some time over on the Snipers hide in the self loaders section, some good insight over there....
Although you say you're AR adverse, I would take a look at the new GII DMPS guns ...lot of bang for the buck there...

<broken link removed>

Seconded. FALs are a great battle rifle, but they've got a lot going against them as a precision setup:

1. Tilting bolt,
2. Rough trigger,
3. Light, whippy barrels,
4. Iron sights on two different, shifting parts of the gun,

The DSA picatinny mount dust cover seems to mount in rock solid, but even a good piece of glass mounted on one isn't going to overcome all the other mechanical limitations inherent in the design. Putting a 1.5-4/6x on a FAL is about as high as I'd want to go.

consistent MOA in a semiauto is going to be a challenging / expensive pursuit. few guns will do it out of the box, and those that do are expensive.

springfield national match M1A might get you there.

Depends on the gun. Getting ARs to shoot MOA isn't all that difficult, and there's a ton of aftermarket support to make it downright easy if the shooter has the skill. Direct impingement gas system and rotating bolt combined with high-quality barrels and triggers (and a free floated barrel/handguard added on top) makes it a pretty straight forward affair.

Other guns, however, things start to get expensive fast. M1A/M-14s, FALs, HKs, and AK-types/derivatives are tricky to do if not essentially impossible without spending a great deal of cash, especially over the long term. The M1 will get you the closest, especially with a modern chassis, and the HKs can get close, too, but 1 MOA will be a bit far fetched. AK-types and FALS... yeah, 1 MOA isn't going to happen.

TL;DR: You want accuracy in a 7.62 NATO? Go AR.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top