JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I currently average about 5 range trips a month and have been doing so since March of 2012. About 4/5 trips I shoot 9mm and the remaining time, I shoot 40 cal. Every time I shoot I go through approx. 250 rounds. I have a buddy that uses a Dylan 650 progressive and he swears by it. He spends a lot of time collecting brass for his reloads as well as tracking down supplies. He reloads primarily .45 and .308 and does so to achieve consistency in his rounds. The main reason that I would want to get into reloading would be to save money. We figured out that to get into a Dylan 650 with two kits for .40 and 9mm plus initial supplies would be around $1,200. Or I could just continue to buy my ammo (which is increasing in price) and have the simplicity of just going to the store and stocking up if and when I see deals. I like the idea of reloading, but I'm not sure about the hassle involved with setup, collecting supplies, and obsessing about picking up brass at the range. Any input on this would be appreciated and thanks for your time.

reloading will help you a lot. to help on money you can save more buying a different brand reloader there are good one's out there and I know there will be fallout from others but this is just my .02 worth

reloading will help you a lot. to help on money you can save more buying a different brand reloader there are good one's out there and I know there will be fallout from others but this is just my .02 worth

Copy that. I'm a firm believer in using the best equipment in manufacturing to achieve the best results. I have done a bit of research into reloaders, and most everything (most) points to the Dylan 650. I am open to suggestions based on experience (which is the best research). Thanks for the input so far.

I'm setup with a hornady lnl ap for small primers and a lee loadmaster progressive for large primers...

Both work great, the hornady is a tad bit bit faster

Brownells has a hornady classic kit for 250$ shipped today. It is single stage and you get 500 free bullets.

Thats how i load my 44mag since i use it for long range pistol shooting.

But for pistol 40sw, a progressive is beat

I have the 650 and the Lee turret. Honestly both have their uses. I was encouraged to start out with the Lee and think it was good advice still. Low cost, ease of use, faster than a single stage but most important gets you involved in each round. Starting out with a true progressive while possible keeps you focused more on pulling the lever and less on watching what is supposed to be happening to produce safe and reliable ammo. Something else to consider is to buy the quick change set up for your buddy's press and try it out for one of you caliber's first. This is about $200 including dies and calibre conversion. That is of course if he is open to you using his press.

I chose the Dillon 550: less investment, less complicated, don't NEED the case feeder for your volume, and I think better control of your making high quality reloads

ditto. the 550b will do a whole lot of ammo,for less money,easier to change over,and changeover kits cost less. 25 year owner,love it. very user friendly,while u learn the ropes u can run one case thru at a t ime,and even doing that can do a COMPLETE round of ammo in under 30 seconds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top