JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A few days ago my father passed away from heart disease and I'm thinking about having his favorite carry gun his Ruger LCP engraved and possibly hard chromed or coated with some other nice looking plating/finish that will look good with the engraving and OD green frame.I'm thinking about something that looks like the photo I've included but with "In Loving Memory of (his initials)" also on the slide,but I'm unsure of what finish to get.

As a side note as anyone else had anything similar done to remember a relative that passed away?

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

No, I have never done anything of that nature, so no help there.
Please accept my condolences at this sad time. I know how hard it can be to lose your dad. I had a pretty hard time of it. I am liking the idea of commemorating your dads pistol! Good luck with your project!

No, I have never done anything of that nature, so no help there.
Please accept my condolences at this sad time. I know how hard it can be to lose your dad. I had a pretty hard time of it. I am liking the idea of commemorating your dads pistol! Good luck with your project!
Thanks,yeah the idea just kind of came to me today as I was thinking of ways I could honor him now that he has passed.

Engraving is a personal deal. Perhaps carrying that gat in your pocket, engraved or not 'til the day you die, might be another way of honoring your father.
sorry for your loss

Sorry for your loss. Cherish the memories you have.
I like the idea you have. I also like the idea of you carrying that pistol with you everywhere you go.
Again, sorry for your loss.

Im sorry for your loss.

Id say if thats what'll make that little pistol a great family heirloom do it, especially if it can incorporate something about him. It makes it a little more special and less likely to just be sold off for bills.

Now if it was a collector type firearm Id say maybe not, but a common pistol, sure!

As long as you're keeping and enjoying that inherited firearm do it! Then pass it down to your kids (if any).

Sounds like a good plan and one I've never heard of.
I often see memorials on common automobiles and don't see that as a very respectful or lasting way to Honor a loved one but to each their own.

An engraved initialed carry gun is a personal, lasting, useful and appropriate way to honor his memory IMO. One you can pass to your children if you have any, along with strong 2ndA sentiments.
Peace be with you during this tough time.

Sorry to hear about your father. I don't know anyone that does that kind of work, but it sounds like a nice tribute to his memory. I hope you find someone that can make this happen for you.

I think a vapor honing followed by laser etching is the way to go. as far as finish a hard chrome would show off the etching, which can be filled w/black ink and wiped off to highlight the work. I did this about 30 years ago and it looks like a factory engraved Browning pistol
th?id=OIP.M24bee92b5d3e5d074e53ac6a1450e4d4o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=235&h=177.jpg

th?id=OIP.M24bee92b5d3e5d074e53ac6a1450e4d4o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=235&h=177.jpg

Engraving is a personal deal. Perhaps carrying that gat in your pocket, engraved or not 'til the day you die, might be another way of honoring your father.
sorry for your loss
That's the idea,my dad was really special to me though so I think I should get it engraved and plated,I'm thinking about maybe NP3 or NP3 Plus,possibly Titanium Nitrate .

Another way me and some friends are going to honor him,is by going to his(now mine) family cabin,cause that is one of his favorite places in the world and for three years before he died we would have an anual cabin trip where he would bring his friends and I would bring mine,we would then go shooting and do other fun camping stuff. I plan on leaving one of his favorite hats and his favorite fishing rod up there.

Sorry to hear about your father. I don't know anyone that does that kind of work, but it sounds like a nice tribute to his memory. I hope you find someone that can make this happen for you.

Worst case scenario I'll have it engraved at one place and then sent to another for plating.

Sorry for your loss. Neat idea with the tribute of his favorite carry piece. Spent a good long time looking into finishes myself (even had an NP3 Sig P220), any more for me its hard chrome or parkerizing, sprayed on/painted on or non durable finishes are for cars and they like, not guns. One other thing, if its something you cherish, might not want to be carrying it; carry pieces get beat up in the day-to-day job of being carried, heaven forbid if you ever DID have to use it, coming out the other side you may never see it again.

Sorry for your loss. Neat idea with the tribute of his favorite carry piece. Spent a good long time looking into finishes myself (even had an NP3 Sig P220), any more for me its hard chrome or parkerizing, sprayed on/painted on or non durable finishes are for cars and they like, not guns. One other thing, if its something you cherish, might not want to be carrying it; carry pieces get beat up in the day-to-day job of being carried, heaven forbid if you ever DID have to use it, coming out the other side you may never see it again.
It isn't very likely though that I'll have to use it in the first place though.If I do have to use it I'll do everything in my power to get it back,and if I don't get it back I'll buy another just like it and have the same engraving and plating done to it.

Hopefully not, but If you had to use it as a last resort to protect yourself or others that's what it's for.
That's most likely why your Dad owned it so he would have been O.K. with it I'm thinking.
Even if afterwards it gets confiscated for a time.

Post a pic when it's all done if you don't mind.

Last Edited:
Sorry for your loss.
The last time I was down at SHOT show one of the custom shops had a few engravers on site working on some custom pistols throughout the show - incredible watching them work and impressive skills. Usually a few from the site are down at SHOT (its going on this week) - maybe one of them will be kind enough to get a card or two if there are any engravers there and pass the information on to you.
Best of luck in your quest and I think it's a great way to honor him.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top