JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I run a Dillon 650,load my .223 ammo the same way the USA rifle team does, size and trim then tumble brass to clean off the lube then prime powder and bullet.
I have a box of brass that's sized and trimmed sitting that I can load what I need out of as needed.

I run a Hornady LnL for 223, 9mm & 40S&W. I would not use it for larger rifle calibers. I tried 308 on it and broke a part on the press. Hornady had a new piece to me within 4 days, free of charge.

I do not have any of the ammo plant stuff (case feed, bullet feed) installed.
I produce ~300-500 rounds per hour, but I'm not in any hurry. My total cost, excluding dies, is $249.
I ran a test with the powder measure, feeding 100 cases and then measuring the powder in each one. It was all +/-0.3gr for all of them. I consider that damned good considering it was stick powder (RL10X).

I've heard nothing but positive remarks about Dillon and their NO BS warranty. I watched a guy loading 223 on a 550 and he struggled with the primer feed, but I considered him below average in mechanical skills.

Long winded, but if you have the cash, get the 650 and don't look back.

[edit]: My memory is getting as bad as my eyesight. No way I am $249 for the LnL, prolly more like $349 (sale price) plus $25 in shipping.

Last Edited:
+1 for the Dillon.......but.....I would go w/ a 550. I had one set up to load 22 Hornet, 221 Fireball, 223 Rem, 357 mag, and 44 mag. I cranked out a bunch back in the day when I was into centerfires for varmints and handgun hunting. You will not be disappointed!!

Look on ebay there is a guy out of Idaho who sells them for 589.00 with caliber conversion so you just need dies. Also case feeder is 229.00 and shipping is free on all of it.

Was the 950.00 set up ready to go or ?

I use a Dillon 550RL. I also size and decap on the single stage press. I also trim with a Giraud. Do yourself a favor and go in with at least one other person on the Giraud. 500 smackers is a little hard to take but the Giraud will save you hours. The 650 is a great press and you can trim with it but I guess I have a problem with running a lubed case all the way through the stages. It doesn't take that long to prep the cases and run things clean and dry through the progressive. I know people do it. I have also talked to people who claim that automatic indexing isn't all its cracked up to be. They claim that you get better control manually and its easier to move things back if you screw up a stage. That part is hear-say. I have 0 experience with the 650. Good luck

Ive owned a 650 ( ex wife stole it in the divorce ) and I own a Hornady lock n load AP now. The Hornady is a order of magnitude cheaper once all the accessories are factored in . I use redding dies for forming 300 BLK with a little crow trimmer and lee dies for everything else. I typically reload 200 shells at a time. 10 mm I use a Hornady bullet feeder die for the pistol stuff and that flies by. 200 rounds of .223 or 300 blk takes less than 2 hours. I like the primer on the Hornady better. Otherwise they are pretty similar other than the price.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top