JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When my AUG finally gets to me I will no longer be shooting steel case ammo or at least not it the Steyr.

I am considering making the step to a progressive and setting it up for 223 only. I was offered a low mile RCBS Pro2K (Or something like that) but was thinking about just biting the bullet (ha!) and getting a full dress 650.

Is there any reason to spend the extra money for the Dillon or is there something better? Maybe start with a half the cost RCBS?....

Input?

It depends. You could certainly jump right to a Dillon, they are fine machines. You might even consider a single stage press; they are really inexpensive, and can be used for lots of different tasks. I guess it pretty much depends on how experienced a reloader you are, and what your plans are going forward. If you're getting started, it's pretty hard to go wrong with a quality single stage press, unless you are going to go through thousands of rounds in a short time. I've sat and reloaded 500 rounds of 556 at a time on a RCBS rock chucker, it's not that tough to do. One opinion.....

I ended up with a Hornady Progressive. There's lots of arguments on the net about quality of red vs blue, but my research indicated that the Hornady was just as good, and cheaper to boot.

It depends. You could certainly jump right to a Dillon, they are fine machines. You might even consider a single stage press; they are really inexpensive, and can be used for lots of different tasks. I guess it pretty much depends on how experienced a reloader you are, and what your plans are going forward. If you're getting started, it's pretty hard to go wrong with a quality single stage press, unless you are going to go through thousands of rounds in a short time. I've sat and reloaded 500 rounds of 556 at a time on a RCBS rock chucker, it's not that tough to do. One opinion.....

I currently am outfitted to do single stage reloading. I do lots of hunting and long range cartridge loading and development.

I want to be able to load tens of thousand of 223 in the next few years. I know I don't have the patients for that quantity on my SS.

I ended up with a Hornady Progressive. There's lots of arguments on the net about quality of red vs blue, but my research indicated that the Hornady was just as good, and cheaper to boot.

I do like most Hornady Products and I do know a few years ago the ammo plant started being produced overseas and the couple guys I know of buying them sense have NOT been happy. One of which has never produced any sort of quantity of ammo to date (if any) I and was shoved back in the box. I'm sure this is the exception to the rule and the guy is very very mechanically inclined and never could get it running correct after replacing a lot if not all of the auto shell mechanics.

I also thought the Dillon would be more money until I price checked them, They are very comparable from what I've seen.

I do like most Hornady Products and I do know a few years ago the ammo plant started being produced overseas and the couple guys I know of buying them sense have NOT been happy. One of which has never produced any sort of quantity of ammo to date (if any) I and was shoved back in the box. I'm sure this is the exception to the rule and the guy is very very mechanically inclined and never could get it running correct after replacing a lot if not all of the auto shell mechanics.

I also thought the Dillon would be more money until I price checked them, They are very comparable from what I've seen.
500 free bullets with the Hornady.
<broken link removed>

I got a stuck rifle case (due to lack of lube) on my LnL once, and it was not pretty, so I resize my rifle cases on a single stage first before going to my LnL. It takes a little more time, but I'd rather spend more time prepping than getting a stuck case.

Nothing wrong with a single stage press, its just another tool to make life easier, well for me anyway.

I load 5.56 on a dillon 650 it's hard to beat a progressive with a case feeder for sizing and trimming. I have not used a rcbs and I have never seen a lock and load that worked (not a good cross section just the displays at every cabelas I've been in have been non functional) but the 650 is pretty hard to beat.

I'm kind of at a loss here... Everywhere I have looked the Dillon 650 is cheaper than the Hornady with comparable equipment, I'm sure I missed a few tidbits that the Hornady might come with but not enough to rule out Dillon on price.

The RCBS I was offered was priced a bit high in my opinion and is making a new 650 look even better. I will talk with the guy on price or how many extras it has to validate his price.

I would love to hear from someone who does or has used the RCBS pro2k or whatever its called.

I may have also shored up a connection to get a fairly large PD's range brass!!! :)

I have the RCBS Pro2000, I reload 223, 300blk, 9mm, 357 sig, 10 mm and 45acp,
Caliber change is quick and easy, I love the press it does everything I need it to do. All my long range I use the RCBS summit. .338 lapua, 300 win mag, 308, and 6.5 Grendel

I've been running a 550B for a few years. Every time I load .223 I wish I would have spent the extra cash for a 650 just for the case trimming.

When I load .223 I resize using a small base RCBS full length sizing die on my Lyman single stage, then trim as needed, then load on my 550B. The advantage doing it like this is each case gets closely inspected.

I reload large quantities on a dillon 650. I don't regret getting this machine compared to the other progressive presses. For brass trimming I have the giraud trimmer. The trimmer was one of my favorite purchases. For smaller/bench rest quantities I use a redding T7 along with a powder dispenser/scale. Love that press also. I also use the redding for brass prep.

I would recommend the Dillon 550b. Caliber conversions are cheaper. I have reloaded
match grade ammo for over 20 years on my 550b.. I reload 8 different rifle and
5 different pistol calibers. The giraud is a great trimmer but it is costly $$$. I have
started using the WFT trimmers. Works great easy and fast. Leaves very little bur on the inside and
nothing on the outside.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...6x45mm-6mm-223-remington?cm_vc=ProductFinding

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Giraud_Case_Trimmer.html

I use a single stage for my .223 rifle case prep...(depriming and sizing), use a Forster manual trimmer and Lyman case prep center for deburring, chamfering, swaging, primer pocket cleaning, etc. Then its over to the Dillon 550B for volume production. You will get a LOT of use out of your single stage no matter what kind of progressive press you use. But I would urge you to become proficient with the single stage before cranking out tons of rounds on any progressive.

The mistakes made and corrected on a single stage are exponentially greater on a progressive. In any case, enjoy and shoot straight!

It sounds like you are comfortable with reloading basics already. If so, go for the 650. I have owned one for 4 years and not been disappointed. When I got mine I didn't get a lot of accessories but found I really wanted them to get the best efficiency out of my time. The brass feeder and strong mounts are must haves. Since you are leaving it set for 223 the quick change kits won't benefit you but keep them in mind if you set up for other calibres. Extra primer tubes and a primer loading tool from Franklin arsenal was a nice addition for me s well.

I don't think you will regret your Dillon decision at all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top