JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So the guy asks for opinion on a bike and a bunch of you tell him not to do it, because you have decided for yourself riding is too dangerous. I believe the choice to take the inherent risks is a personal one and don't question yours or his motivation. Having said that, I transitioned from sport bikes to adventure and dual sports so I can escape the city limits and distracted drivers and in turn lower the risks I take. Also, I can't wait for the lane splitting law to finally get passed. It came real close this, so I'm hopeful it will pass in the near future.

I'd personally advise against getting a harley if you don't have secured parking. They are among the most stolen brands and who wants to spend half a day polishing that thing. I'd much rather be riding.

This is mine, 06 Spirit. I love this thing!! Wish I could afford afford a Harley, but this gets me where I want to go. DSCN2451.JPG

I rode motorcycles for 15 years before taking a hiatus due to family and other obligations. I always planned on getting another one. Now I don't think so. I am a UPS driver who spends 50 hours a week in a brown truck that sits up high enough to give me a perfect vantage point down into people's cars. I would say that about 1 out of every 5 cars on the road today are being operated by someone who is texting/Facebooking/tweeting on their cell phones while driving. The amount of appallingly stupid distracted driving incidents and close calls I witness each day continues to increase. Its scary. I support the right of adults to take informed risks and the joy of a motorcycle ride on a sunny day is tough to beat, but for me the risk/benefit analysis of riding reads far worse today than it did 15 years ago and until we treat driving-while-texting with the same harsh consequences as driving while intoxicated, its going to get worse not better.

So the guy asks for opinion on a bike and a bunch of you tell him not to do it, because you have decided for yourself riding is too dangerous. I believe the choice to take the inherent risks is a personal one and don't question yours or his motivation. Having said that, I transitioned from sport bikes to adventure and dual sports so I can escape the city limits and distracted drivers and in turn lower the risks I take. Also, I can't wait for the lane splitting law to finally get passed. It came real close this, so I'm hopeful it will pass in the near future.

I'd personally advise against getting a harley if you don't have secured parking. They are among the most stolen brands and who wants to spend half a day polishing that thing. I'd much rather be riding.
The law means nothing.
You have to realize in California, the car drivers like the motorcycles splitting as it's less traffic for them.
Not so much in the northwest.Everyone would still get mad at you.They would spit chew at you ,on the safest side and change lanes so you couldn't get by or open doors on the not so safe side.
I have split lanes but would never trust NW drivers to let me get away with it on a regular basis,legal or not

The law means nothing.
You have to realize in California, the car drivers like the motorcycles splitting as it's less traffic for them.
Not so much in the northwest.Everyone would still get mad at you.They would spit chew at you ,on the safest side and change lanes so you couldn't get by or open doors on the not so safe side.
I have split lanes but would never trust NW drivers to let me get away with it on a regular basis,legal or not
You got that right. The law means nothing when my life is on the line. I lane split even now when it's the safer alternative regardless of its legality. Sitting in gridlock traffic puts me statistically in greater danger from being rear ended than being hit while lane splitting. I do not really care about what the drivers think as that is not in my control. What is in my control though is finding the quickest way to safer position and sometimes that means lane splitting. It would be nice to know I don't have to worry getting ticketed while executing life saving maneuvers.

You got that right. The law means nothing when my life is on the line. I lane split even now when it's the safer alternative regardless of its legality. Sitting in gridlock traffic puts me statistically in greater danger from being rear ended than being hit while lane splitting. I do not really care about what the drivers think as that is not in my control. What is in my control though is finding the quickest way to safer position and sometimes that means lane splitting. It would be nice to know I don't have to worry getting ticketed while executing life saving maneuvers.
I don't mind motorcyclists who lane-split in gridlock traffic because it is safer for them and it improves the overall traffic flow.

What I do mind....is the idiot motorcyclists who lane-split between me doing 55MPH in the right lane and the car doing 60MPH in the passing lane.

I don't mind motorcyclists who lane-split in gridlock traffic because it is safer for them and it improves the overall traffic flow.

What I do mind....is the idiot motorcyclists who lane-split between me doing 55MPH in the right lane and the car doing 60MPH in the passing lane.
Don't worry about those riders,you may have to replace a tire
I don't care about the ones who will risk everyone elses' safety. That's on their head

Don't worry about them too much, the law of natural selection is strong with them.

If I were looking for an inexpensive bike for in-town use, I'd probably do a CX500 cafe style. Inexpensive, reliable, economical, nimble.

I rode motorcycles for 15 years before taking a hiatus due to family and other obligations. I always planned on getting another one. Now I don't think so. I am a UPS driver who spends 50 hours a week in a brown truck that sits up high enough to give me a perfect vantage point down into people's cars. I would say that about 1 out of every 5 cars on the road today are being operated by someone who is texting/Facebooking/tweeting on their cell phones while driving. The amount of appallingly stupid distracted driving incidents and close calls I witness each day continues to increase. Its scary. I support the right of adults to take informed risks and the joy of a motorcycle ride on a sunny day is tough to beat, but for me the risk/benefit analysis of riding reads far worse today than it did 15 years ago and until we treat driving-while-texting with the same harsh consequences as driving while intoxicated, its going to get worse not better.

Driving and riding was a lot safer before cell phones , I live In salem and work in beaverton and prefer to drive than ride, it's SAFER.

Before I worked near the Lake O exit and didn't mind riding back and forth, 217 is way more dangerous.

Ride Safe

I have had bikes all my life. Started on dirt and then went on to street in high school and college and beyond. RD350, V65 Magna, 920 Virago, RF900R, and VTX 1800C

I got wrecked about 7 years ago on my brand new VTX 1800C. Bought it 8 months before going to the 'Stan for a year. Put 1,200 miles on it and after a year in a place where everyone was actually trying to kill me, thought I would be safe to drive home from work in broad day light on a beautiful summer day. Got hit by a guy that told the cop he was "drinking his coffee" and that was why he drove across the centerline and hit me nearly head on. Left leg looked like it had been put through a wood chipper and came back with a permanent, but slight limp.

Me and the little guy are going to do dirt-bikes this fall, but that is as far as I am going. As an old(er) or "distinguished" gentleman now, I find that cup-holders, leather interior, music I can hear, Heat and A/C are so much nicer now when I travel by vehicle.

If you need to feel the wind and want to go fast, save your pennies and then go buy a nice used late model Corvette Convertible.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting another bike. After owning several sport bikes over the years (2 FZR400's. R6, F4i) I'm thinking this time I'd like something along the lines of a Sportster, V Star, or Shadow. Not looking to spend much, maybe $2k-$3k. Any suggestions?

to the OP...those are all nice bikes and you'll enjoy being out there regardless of which one you get. Neither one of those is designed to go fast or corner well. They're meant to be fairly comfortable and just cruise. Tere are lots of them on the market right now and well within your range.
Here's my suggestion for you...figure out what you want out of the bike ahead of time. Don't buy a bike and then try to fit it to your needs. For example: if you want something to customize and really make it your own, check the aftermarket beforehand and make sure there is enough out there to accomplish your goals otherwise you'll get frustrated due to the lack of after market support.
If you don't care what brand, size of engine, customization, etc...then try to buy the newest bike you can get for the money.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top