JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been kicking around the idea of getting another bike. After owning several sport bikes over the years (2 FZR400's. R6, F4i) I'm thinking this time I'd like something along the lines of a Sportster, V Star, or Shadow. Not looking to spend much, maybe $2k-$3k. Any suggestions?

Last Edited:
I like my Harley sportster, 525 pounds and a 1200 motor on it. Lots of faster bikes but I like the ride of a Harley. They do not hold their value like they used to because the market is full of bikes. Figure out what distance you plan to ride and buy what is comfortable, outside on a bike of any kind is quality time.

My coworker is selling a Triumph for about $4500, it has very, very low miles. I can look into the model and mileage if you're interested.

I love the Triumphs. Wish I had more cash to buy one now but I just bought a couple more Enduros like the one in my avatar. I just love making these old bikes look pretty again. Seems when I do it is always college kids that buy them off me since they do not want to be seen on a moped. A 125 2 stroke is a lot better than a moped.

If I was looking at a full size bike right now I would likely look into used Ducati Monsters. Get that sport and cruiser feel in one. That is my favorite reasonably priced bike these days.

I like my Harley sportster, 525 pounds and a 1200 motor on it. Lots of faster bikes but I like the ride of a Harley. They do not hold their value like they used to because the market is full of bikes. Figure out what distance you plan to ride and buy what is comfortable, outside on a bike of any kind is quality time.

Day trips to the coast were always one of my favorite rides, so I definitely want something comfortable.

My coworker is selling a Triumph for about $4500, it has very, very low miles. I can look into the model and mileage if you're interested.

I love the Triumphs. Wish I had more cash to buy one now but I just bought a couple more Enduros like the one in my avatar. I just love making these old bikes look pretty again. Seems when I do it is always college kids that buy them off me since they do not want to be seen on a moped. A 125 2 stroke is a lot better than a moped.

If I was looking at a full size bike right now I would likely look into used Ducati Monsters. Get that sport and cruiser feel in one. That is my favorite reasonably priced bike these days.

I think both of those are a bit more than I'm looking for, both money wise and because I'd hate to have something happen to a 'really nice bike' parked on the street in St Johns. I probably should have mentioned by lack of garage in the original post (and I just changed the price range to 2-3k) :)

Oh man at least we know he will be armed while riding the little motorized bicycle...least I hope so since outrunning folks is not gunna happen.

Recently I picked up a Yamaha Seca 2 which is a great 600cc bike for around town or a few long trips. I paid 1500 and it had 3k on it. It was a sweet little bike for the money and plenty of power and comfort. I sold that but I have seen a few under 2k that had low miles. Yamaha is always a favorite of mine.

Motorized bicycle can be brought into the house or locked in the trunk:D:D Just trying to help ya out joe:confused: might take a full day to ride it to the coast though...o_O

I am thinking it may have been some time since Joe has been on a bike so maybe he should start with the basics.:D
http://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engine-kits.html
There is even one in the classifieds.......https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/66cc-bicycle.200267/

I ride a VTX 1800 nice comfy shaft drive, fuel injection and has a radiator, not much into bikes that aren't water cooled. There are a lot of shadows around in your price range just look on CL. A 750 would be enough but if you plan on passengers the 1100 would be the way to go. The 600VLX is nice also but it isn't a very fun ride on the freeway.

30 or 40 yrs ago it was a good idea. Today Russian Roulette would be a safer activity.
They didn't have texting 30 or 40 yrs ago.
I watch the same guy nearly have 2 head ons and drive into the ditch and back out then nearly went 20 feet off the road onto a walking trail and hit someone all because he was texting, and you want to be on the road on 2 wheels with these idiots ??? Hell, they don't even see 2 and 3 ton cars and trucks...o_O:eek:

I spent 20 + years on road bikes. Harleys and Hondas, BSA, Norton and today I would not even think about doing it again in this region.

A nice boat would be a better idea:)

Last Edited:
30 or 40 yrs ago it was a good idea. Today Russian Roulette would be a safer activity.
I watch the same guy nearly have 2 head ons and drive into the ditch and back out then nearly went 20 feet off the road onto a walking trail and hit someone all because he was texting, and you want to be on the road on 2 wheels with these idiots ??? Hell, they don't even see 2 and 3 ton cars and trucks...o_O:eek:

I spent 20 + years on road bikes. Harleys and Hondas, BSA, Norton and today I would not even think about doing it again in this region.

Ya, would not own one in the big city but I live in the valley and there are many fairly safe country roads to ride. Of course there are still exciting events :D.

find a nice well taken care of used 1200 cc Harley sportster, A sporty,will keep up with traffic,, and if you decide to sell it, if you get the right deal up front,,, you can get your money back out of it.

You can find a well loved Vstrom 650 in your budget. It's a well balanced bike that is good around town, great on trips and will allow you to take the roads less traveled for added adventure. They are not flashy and not likely to attract a lot of attention parked on the street, but will do anything you asked of it and then some.

The Ducati Monster is named that for a reason.It's a go fast bike without the fairings.Not for the faint of heart,and a wee bit faster than that Fazer 400 OP owned,lol
I look at Harleys and road bikes but got rid of mine because I just like speed to much.
Went from Kawasaki ZR 1200R,not a gixxer bike but you can keep track with it,to a iron head,too much work,to a '96 sportster,no chicken strips on the tires on that bike.Fun but not comfy for long trips
Then I had some money so I bought a 07 cop bike.Harley road king 103inch 800 pound sled.And with me it was over 1k and floated at 100mph
But no road bikes for me.IF I was to get one it would either be a Ural,two wheel drive side car model or a dual sport Kawasaki.The BMWs are cool but you can buy 2-3 kawis for the same money.And holy cow if you were in town this weekend ,you could have seen the entire DS market right here.Every manufacturer was represented.
You get tired of the hiway? Take the next left or right and you are on the road to the back country.You can travel over most of Idaho without being on pavement
Harleys may not hold value but actually no bikes hold much resale. DS are popular right now so they are holding some resale,but for the most part bikes are closer to boats than cars for resale
Shop wisely and keep it on 2 wheels

I've been kicking around the idea of getting another bike. After owning several sport bikes over the years (2 FZR400's. R6, F4i) I'm thinking this time I'd like something along the lines of a Sportster, V Star, or Shadow. Not looking to spend much, maybe $2k-$3k. Any suggestions?

I've been riding since 1975 and have owned many bikes. I am not a bike bigot; whatever floats your goat is fine with me. That said, I got my first Harley about 10 years ago. There is just something about them, the torque, the rumble, the shaking at idle. When some dad in a minivan next to you looks over longingly you know he is thinking "someday". No other bike engenders this response. They are not the fastest, the best handling or the latest technology, far from it. They are, the coolest.

I bought a new Road King in 2005 and found it was a bit of a land yacht; great for the open road. I traded that for a sport adventure Buell Ulysses which was a hoot but no good for long trips. In 2011 I bought my present bike an 03 Dyna on eBay for $7K. It is a good match for my conservative riding style (no more trips to the hospital) good for the twisties and OK for the open road.

The spousal unit and I ride every year and do a photo blog.

We flew out to Illinois and rode it home
http://dynaroadtrip.blogspot.com/2011_06_01_archive.html

We are leaving today for our 30th anniversary ride.
http://anniversaryride.blogspot.com/

My favorite was Yellowstone
http://yellowstone-road-trip.blogspot.com/

Vancouver Island
http://no-rain-harley-road-trip-2013.blogspot.com/

'06 FXDBI... the thing is awesome.

image.jpg

Last Edited:

A nice boat would be a better idea:)

+100 ^^^^

The PNW has to be one of the most dangerous places in the world to own and ride a motorcycle.

I miss mine every day but would feel safer firing reloads with multiple powder loads in them in hipoint pistols all day long.

Get a boat or go skydiving if you need some juice.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top