JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You just missed a great sale. At walmart this weekend they had all firearms 20% off. I bought a Ruger American Rifle in .308 for only $294.00 and my cousin purchased a Savage Axis in .223 for $257.00. I had heard a lot of good things about the Axis and was about to purchase one as well but the Ruger had some features (like an adjustable trigger)that I figured was worth a bit more. Either of these rifles would make a fine target shooter after you get a scope on it, and they are relatively inexpensive compared to a lot of other brands out there. I know my cousin bought the .223 cal Axis since the ammo is a bit cheaper and he is always looking to save cash. So there are a few different things to consider. Luckily you can find a lot of good intel on the NW Firearms Forum.

Welcome to the site and to shooting, Frost! All of the information you will need is probably available on this site so feel free to ask questions and participate. Only dumb questions are the unasked ones!:) Enjoy the sport!

Buy a .22lr rifle and go from there;)

+1

You can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22
Very low recoil for a first time shooter, lots of upgrade options if you want them and tons of fun to shoot.
Even with the current ammo "shortage" you can pick up rounds for $.10 or less. Still cheap compared to other options.
:)

Or pick up a cheap .223 AR and ammo while prices are down. Consider it an investment.

Welcome to NWFA!

Last Edited:
Good luck with your first purchase! I'm always glad when I hear of someone new getting into firearms shooting/collecting.
That usually means one more vote against the growing number of enemies of the 2nd amendment.

Glad to hear you're buying a rifle, guess you didn't ask for advice but I would recommend a Norinco SKS. Good shooting, fun, dependable, reasonable cost and easy to sell if you don't like it.

BiMart has the Marlin 795 22LR rifle on sale for $129.97 + background check and tax if you are in Washington. http://www.bimartadpro.com/adcenter/113014insert/html5/ Get ear plus eye protection and you have a nice economical start.

I bought a Model 995 of these for $70.00 in the late 1970s. Great little .22LR. Gave it to an old friend who needed to scare off some crows in the country. I miss it. Nice, light and accurate.

Brutus Out

New fish! New Fish!

Buy a Ruger 10/22. Its something that no matter how serious (or not serious) you get you will always enjoy and have a place for. A 10/22 was my second gun, I currently have three and I will always have at least one.

Welcome to a fantastic, fun new adventure!

Good ideas in here, probably an overwhelming number.

I'll make it worse: Savage Mark II SVR, a .22 bolt-action rifle with a handy threaded barrel in case the "illness" starts to include a suppressor.

It'll work fine without the can, too. Great value and good trigger, right out of the box.

Get a .22lr, whichever one tickles your fancy....for all the reasons stated above! If ya can't find ammo for it and you're close enough, I'd give a brick to a new shooter;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top