Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Thinking about buying first gun

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eternalfrost, Nov 30, 2014.

1. eternalfrost

eternalfrost New Member

Hi guys,
    I'm thinking about buying my first gun. Probably a simple rifle to do some target shooting with. Just thought I'd say hello.

kev350, IronMonster and jutbucks13 like this.
  2. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

3. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Battle Ground, WA Member

You just missed a great sale. At walmart this weekend they had all firearms 20% off. I bought a Ruger American Rifle in .308 for only $294.00 and my cousin purchased a Savage Axis in .223 for $257.00. I had heard a lot of good things about the Axis and was about to purchase one as well but the Ruger had some features (like an adjustable trigger)that I figured was worth a bit more. Either of these rifles would make a fine target shooter after you get a scope on it, and they are relatively inexpensive compared to a lot of other brands out there. I know my cousin bought the .223 cal Axis since the ammo is a bit cheaper and he is always looking to save cash. So there are a few different things to consider. Luckily you can find a lot of good intel on the NW Firearms Forum.

4. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

coyotecaller likes this.
  5. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Welcome to the site and to shooting, Frost! All of the information you will need is probably available on this site so feel free to ask questions and participate. Only dumb questions are the unasked ones!:) Enjoy the sport!

6. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

And so it starts. The seed of a firearms addiction. Pick up a military surplus rifle, maybe a Mosin variant. reasonably accurate, cheap ammo.

7. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Buy a .22lr rifle and go from there;)

And welcome!

CHLChris and coyotecaller like this.
  8. lucifermonkey

lucifermonkey Portland, OR Well-Known Member

+1

You can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22
    Very low recoil for a first time shooter, lots of upgrade options if you want them and tons of fun to shoot.
    Even with the current ammo "shortage" you can pick up rounds for $.10 or less. Still cheap compared to other options.
    :)

Or pick up a cheap .223 AR and ammo while prices are down. Consider it an investment.

Welcome to NWFA!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    coyotecaller, justme and IronMonster like this.
  9. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

Good luck with your first purchase! I'm always glad when I hear of someone new getting into firearms shooting/collecting.
    That usually means one more vote against the growing number of enemies of the 2nd amendment.

10. slingshot1943

slingshot1943 salem or Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you're buying a rifle, guess you didn't ask for advice but I would recommend a Norinco SKS. Good shooting, fun, dependable, reasonable cost and easy to sell if you don't like it.

11. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

I bought a Model 995 of these for $70.00 in the late 1970s. Great little .22LR. Gave it to an old friend who needed to scare off some crows in the country. I miss it. Nice, light and accurate.

Brutus Out

12. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

New fish! New Fish!

Buy a Ruger 10/22. Its something that no matter how serious (or not serious) you get you will always enjoy and have a place for. A 10/22 was my second gun, I currently have three and I will always have at least one.

Welcome to a fantastic, fun new adventure!

justme likes this.
  13. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

Good ideas in here, probably an overwhelming number.

I'll make it worse: Savage Mark II SVR, a .22 bolt-action rifle with a handy threaded barrel in case the "illness" starts to include a suppressor.

It'll work fine without the can, too. Great value and good trigger, right out of the box.

14. justme

justme Brookings, Oregon New Member

A Ruger 10/22 would be my top choice to start with. I saw them at Bi-Mart for $179 the other day.

IronMonster likes this.
  15. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

22's are great, it's finding the ammo that's the problem.

16. d2the3

d2the3 Eugene, Oregon Well-Known Member

Get a .22lr, whichever one tickles your fancy....for all the reasons stated above! If ya can't find ammo for it and you're close enough, I'd give a brick to a new shooter;)

Brutus57, IronMonster and Joe13 like this.
  17. kev350

kev350 Gresham , Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Hello and welcome to all the new members

18. Nick Burkhardt

Black Friday sale, gone now.

I picked up the Marlin 795 yesterday and BiMart also sold me a 525 box of Remington 22LR for $19.99.

Joe13 likes this.
  19. Nick Burkhardt

The Marlin 795 is on sale through this Saturday. If you miss it, don't worry:

BiMart will have $15 off all Marlin, Savage and Henry .17 & .22 Rifles December 14th - 20th.

20. fredball

fredball Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!!!:s0067:

shotsfired likes this.