JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I believe the ATF only processes the stamp (whatever it is they actually do that takes so long).

Once you get the stamp, then the FFL does a background check to release it to you.

-my simplistic understanding, which could very well be wrong-
Well that sucks. Not like I won't junp through the hoops eventually, but I fully expect it to be a total s**t show for a few month after the law passes and was hoping to avoid that mess.

I have my first 2 suppressors in jail right now on E-form 4. I guess I assumed that once the background check is done by ATF I just go pick them up. Is that not the case if the November crap passes?
Unfortunately in OR you do have to do a firearm transfer for suppressors. So I don't see any way around it if it passes. I was going to buy a suppressor right before the petition came out and now I'm kinda glad I didn't. Sucks.

Rechecked the R9 manual. It has 300 black minimum barrel length at 8". That's super and sub. So 7.62x39 is maybe a hair faster than supers out of 300 black. I'd say you'd be plenty fine on the 16" barreled AK. The R9 can handle 308 on a 16" barrel. I run one of mine on 6mm ARC all the time which is sort of like 7.62x39 but at much higher pressures. It might also be nice to have a larger than 30 caliber can for AKs as they don't always have concentric barrels. Not sure if todays AKs have those issues, it's a known thing for older imported AKs.

So my understanding with background checks and silencers is:
If you filed as an individual, the FFL needs to only have you fill out a 4473 and they'll just file it with their paperwork.
It is not submitted. However some FFL's may, in an abundance of caution, go through the background check process.

If you filed as a trust, then the FFL's are required to submit the 4473 and you'll go through one last background check.

And yes, if the worst happens and 114 passes, you may have to wait even longer for that silencer. I'd say buy
as an individual for the moment and verify with your FFL if they'll release without submitting the 4473.

I am in Washington. I just found a group of guys to go shooting with. I am interested in getting a suppressor, now that I will hopefully be shooting more. I just googled a little and any advice or suggestions would be nice.

I am looking at a multi caliber suppressor. Banish 46 and Dead Air Primal. Thoughts.

I am in Washington. I just found a group of guys to go shooting with. I am interested in getting a suppressor, now that I will hopefully be shooting more. I just googled a little and any advice or suggestions would be nice.

I am looking at a multi caliber suppressor. Banish 46 and Dead Air Primal. Thoughts.
Everyone wants to go with a suppressor that can do everything for their first one but the problem is that they are only marginal at best for everything except the largest bore size they can accommodate. Most times they are heavier, require expensive additional components to convert to other calibers or guns and provide sub optimal suppression for the smaller calibers due to the larger bore diameter in the baffle stack.

You also quickly come to realize it is a pain switching suppressors from one gun to the next because they get hot quick in center fire use, are dirty, parts and pieces get stuck together making disassembly a pain in the field while shooting to convert over to another configuration and the list goes on. If you primarily want to shoot big bore than the two cans you mention will work great. Diminishing returns will come into play if you start using on 30 cal or 5.56.

Unless you don't like shooting rimfires, I always suggest starting off with a rimfire can. Suppressed 22lr is almost universally enjoyed by all of us and just about any rimfire can you choose is going to sound great shooting sub sonic 22lr. Here is my recommendation for anyone getting into suppressors for the first time:
  • Get a rimfire can for your first can.
  • For centerfire cans go with cans that use the 1.375x24 thread pitch back end (commonly called HUB) This opens up the use of just about any mounting option on the market and doesn't lock you into a vendor specific system.
  • Buy the suppressor that meets your needs and don't fall for the marketing hype. If you want to do mag dumps, find a can that meets that need like a YHM Turbo T2, Rex Silentium MG 7, etc.... If your looking for a lower rate of fire centerfire can for something like a bolt gun look at a titanium can like the Diligent Defense offerings.
  • If at all possible, link up with someone who has an assortment of cans and will let you try some out. Offer to supply the ammo for a range trip in exchange for some trigger time. Most folks with can's like to introduce others into the world of shooting suppressed.
  • Most folks who get more than one can start to realize they want to shop based on weight, length, specific use case, etc... and aren't looking to use it for every gun they have but more likely a group or class of guns like long range rifles, carbines, etc... Everyone having a different set of specs they are trying to satisfy.
  • Spend some time at Pew Science researching the best independent testing being done on the market of different options: https://pewscience.com/ there is a lot of good info in the unpaid section of the site so don't feel like you need to go for the paid membership.
  • Do your research before you go to a local dealer. A local dealer is going to try and sell you what is in the case and not necessarily what is best for your use case.
  • In most cases you are better off with (2) $400 - $500 cans like a YHM Resonator and Turbo T2, Rex MG7 in 5.56 and 308 then (1) $1,000 can that requires multiple $100 adapters and muzzles devices. You are out the same initial cost but will be happier with the two cans and less monkeying around moving it from gun to gun. A can usually finds a home on a specific host and you don't end up moving it around anymore from gun to gun, you just go buy another one.
  • If I would have listened to the above advice, which I got from more than one person I talked to, I would have made better choices on my first cans and saved myself some money and ended up with cans that better suited my needs. Now I have a couple can's which rarely get used because of their weight or length or mounting solution.
Enjoy the process and don't stress over it to much. Shooting suppressed is a nice expansion to your shooting experience.

Dead Air Ghost M 45.cal suppressor, good for 9mm, subsonic 300 Blackout and of course, 45ACP

Everyone wants to go with a suppressor that can do everything for their first one but the problem is that they are only marginal at best for everything except the largest bore size they can accommodate.
I can run a .45 can on .22LR then move it to a 300BLK it is rated for and have results I can not tell the difference from dedicated .22 and .30cal cans. Maybe with electronic equipment perhaps, but not my ears.

I do agree on your weight comment. Hanging a .45 can on a .22 pistol is uncomfortable. Where as a .22 can is light weight and small in diameter so the sights work.

. Diminishing returns will come into play if you start using on 30 cal or 5.56.
Same here. No difference by my ear running a .30 can or a 5.56 on a 5.56. I just cant hear the difference with my use. The .30 call cans work great.

Do know shooting pistol primarily .22 its dirty, your going to need to clean the can. Allot of the .30 cans do not break down for cleaning. But the pistol cans do, .45 on down. Good thing too as they need it! When it comes to .22LR you need it allot. It is nice to have a dedicated .22LR can or three. But for the others…. Well IMHO a .22, .45 and dedicated .30 cans cover most of what we shoot. Now all this changes when you have others shooting with you. I have three boys so quickly learned ONE can of each does not work. Can't have one person quite an the rest loud. Your stamp collection can rise quickly.

Know once you start shooting quite you start requiring all new gun purchases to have threaded barrels!

Yeah, no .22lr in sealed cans. That stuff is filthy. I agree with hellocat. Personally if I were to get 3 silencers (and not have need for a .50 bore) I would get a .22 cal, a .45 pistol and a .30 caliber rifle. Truth is, I have all that and more.

I can run a .45 can on .22LR then move it to a 300BLK it is rated for and have results I can not tell the difference from dedicated .22 and .30cal cans. Maybe with electronic equipment perhaps, but not my ears.

I do agree on your weight comment. Hanging a .45 can on a .22 pistol is uncomfortable. Where as a .22 can is light weight and small in diameter so the sights work.

Same here. No difference by my ear running a .30 can or a 5.56 on a 5.56. I just cant hear the difference with my use. The .30 call cans work great.

Do know shooting pistol primarily .22 its dirty, your going to need to clean the can. Allot of the .30 cans do not break down for cleaning. But the pistol cans do, .45 on down. Good thing too as they need it! When it comes to .22LR you need it allot. It is nice to have a dedicated .22LR can or three. But for the others…. Well IMHO a .22, .45 and dedicated .30 cans cover most of what we shoot. Now all this changes when you have others shooting with you. I have three boys so quickly learned ONE can of each does not work. Can't have one person quite an the rest loud. Your stamp collection can rise quickly.

Know once you start shooting quite you start requiring all new gun purchases to have threaded barrels!
I should have been more specific on the diminishing returns comment, I was specifically referring to running a big bore can with 5.56 and 30 cal. I notice a big difference running either of these through my 45 cal cans. Ran subsonic 300 blackout through my bolt gun with 45 cal MG7 on the end because I forgot my 30 cal can and it was very unpleasant compared to my 30 cal options like Nomad LT, 30 cal MG7, Wolfman, etc....
Yeah, no .22lr in sealed cans. That stuff is filthy. I agree with hellocat. Personally if I were to get 3 silencers (and not have need for a .50 bore) I would get a .22 cal, a .45 pistol and a .30 caliber rifle. Truth is, I have all that and more.
I would agree with you on those three cans if you were only going to get three cans. Only blind spot you would have is big bore centerfire depending on which 45 can you got. You would have to make a decision with the 45 can on whether you were going to go more pistol or rifle oriented.

I should have been more specific on the diminishing returns comment, I was specifically referring to running a big bore can with 5.56 and 30 cal. I notice a big difference running either of these through my 45 cal cans. Ran subsonic 300 blackout through my bolt gun with 45 cal MG7 on the end because I forgot my 30 cal can and it was very unpleasant compared to my 30 cal options like Nomad LT, 30 cal MG7, Wolfman, etc....

I would agree with you on those three cans if you were only going to get three cans. Only blind spot you would have is big bore centerfire depending on which 45 can you got. You would have to make a decision with the 45 can on whether you were going to go more pistol or rifle oriented.
I don`t get a big difference. My 9mm actually is quieter through my omega 45k than my omega 9k. .300bo still is quiet through my bowers vers50. Personally I own a good number of cans and I would wager that internal volume of the suppressor is a bigger factor than exact bore matching. now I have not tried .22lr through the vers50 because of the mess .22lr makes. But it works ridiculously well on 32 acp.

For me, I have a good number of suppressors. But the weight is every bit as important. No pistol with a tilting barrel I have seen will cycle with a vers50 on the end. But an osprey 45 certainly will cycle on most things.

Big bore centerfire rifle seems kind of specialized to me. Granted, I went there too. I am waiting on one more suppressor to be honest. Dedicated silencerco sparrow for the ps90.

Own one suppressor. Griffin Optimus. Shoot .22 Sig pistol to 300 Win. Components can be pricey. Quick connect or direct thread. Regular use on AR 15 and threaded Rem 700 in .223. In the market for threaded 9mm. One tax stamp. Easy to clean.

I wanted something to use on both my 22/9mm handguns as well as my rifles up to .308 so My solution was to get a yhm r9 and it was cheap enough that I could get a booster for suppressing the pistols without fixed barrels

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top