JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I spend quite a bit of time in the woods (camping, hiking, fishing, wheeling, etc) and I'd like to get a high capacity 10mm for OWB carry out there. I've heard great things about the Springfield XDm 10mm's so I think that's the route I'm going to go. They make two models, one with a 4.5" barrel and one with a 5.25" barrel. I like the idea of the 5.25" model but with some of my other carry guns what seems like a negligible increase in size turns out to be a pain. Curious to hear which you'd go with and thoughts in general :)

I personally would look at other options besides the XDM. That being said, I think it would work fine for your needs.

I would shoot the Springfield side-by-side with a Glock G20 before I went "all in" on the XDM.

I have a G20 that you can try.
Anyone else want to bring the XDM ?
It's all about the fit in the hand first...!!! :eek: Which one is more comfortable, then go from there...

The 5" gives you a tad bit extra range, if your carring OWB go with that for outdoors and I also agree with the chest rig, easier access...

Alaskan Chest RIg.jpeg

YMMV but this is what I currently run:

Kenai Chest Holster
Glock 20 (10mm)
Glock magazine with +2 extension (17rds)
Underwood 220gr hardcast
KKM 6" aftermarket barrel with modified ramp
Glockmeister 24lb tungsten recoil assembly
Extra magazine (17rds) on the Kenai Chest Holster

Last Edited:
Excellent choice. Id go with the 5.25" myself. Youll like the accuracy you'll get from the XDM. I actually sold my glock 35 and replaced it with an XDM 40. No regrets at all, going that route. If the smith and wesson 1006 wasnt so heavy, id suggest that as another option. For a range gun, the 1006 is hard to beat. For the op's purpose, i think the XDM is an excellent choice.

Why not a 1911? Ruger, Kimber, SA, Colt, and Rock Island all make them. Prices between 600-1000 or so depending on make, bells, and whistles
Magazine capacity is a good reason to go Glock or SA or Tanfoglio
Don't get me wrong, I own a Delta, and Eclipse and an RIA, They're great, but in the woods I would prefer 15+1 over 8 or 10 +1

Why not a 1911? Ruger, Kimber, SA, Colt, and Rock Island all make them. Prices between 600-1000 or so depending on make, bells, and whistles

Oh a 10mm 1911 is a GREAT choice. The OP was looking for capacity so that's why I didn't suggest them.

As far as the XD series guns, I personally hold strong distaste for them in general. Grip Zone anyone? :rolleyes:

My LGS has a case FULL of used XDs. To the point they won't take any more in. They joke about people that buy them and then take a bath trading them in on better guns.

I have the Tanfo Stock III which is a gorgeous thing and it's 15+1
It's essentially a CZ 75 in 10mm.
Great range gun but being all steel, may not be great for carry.

The G20 is perfect in a chest rig, IMO

Yeah I had no love connection with my XD-45
I bought it after reading about it's Gold Medal or something from the NRA/ American Rifleman
Anyway I couldn't hit squat with it, I was all over the target at 15 yards. I asked the RO to try it and he is center-punching the target. I asked a young buck if he wanted to try it and and he shot a tight group. I tried again and wasted more ammo. They were polite and didn't laugh out loud at me. I packed it away and showed them I was at least competent with the 1911:oops:
I just never got comfortable with the grip/grip safety

I ended up selling it to my doctor.
Anyway, I recommend the G-40 MOS
Long barrel, 15 rounds and red dot ready !
It's the best option IMO!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads