JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
XD's offer nothing over a Glock, Tanfo or a 1911. The weight, overly high bore axis and nonsense gimmick grip safety are just some of the reasons why LOTS of folks tend to never warm up to the XD. Before anyone yells "fully supported chamber!" in regards to Glock it was designed that way for maximum feed reliability and unless a guy wants to run "thermonuclear" rated loads through one there won't be any problems.

Yes, I like Glock. That's well known. But I'd buy a Tanfo or a 1911 over an XD any day.

I shoot XDMs better than Glocks. I EDC a Glock because I dont like the XDS and the XDM compact is too chunky. I have an XDM for the woods though. It's ok to have different guns for different purposes. Agree with the rest that say try both.

Remember when that was the case with G23's? Damn lemmings...
$299 right now on some websites!

Having owned both a XDm in 45acp and the G20 in 10mm. I'm torn. Either will be a great duty pistol for the OPs needs. Ergos on the XDm are better. Simplicity on the Glock wins hands down. A good stipple and frame reduction made my G20 more enjoyable to shoot. Before that it was huge for my hands. The XDM fit much better and was softer on recoil, though mine was 45acp so I don't know what they feel like with 10mm. There are a few quirks on the XDs. Like the extractor. It's a weird design and requires a special tool to remove. It can get gunked up easily and isn't the easiest to clean. The stupid chamber indicator thing on top of the slide, mine always got gunked up and would permanently stick up. It was held in by a roll pin and disassembly was a pain for such a stupid thing to clean so it wouldn't stay stuck upright. Glock, well nothing really wrong internally, so other than it literally being brick like, it's got the edge on the XDm line. Ergos win with the XD line in my opinion though.

$299 right now on some websites!

Having owned both a XDm in 45acp and the G20 in 10mm. I'm torn. Either will be a great duty pistol for the OPs needs. Ergos on the XDm are better. Simplicity on the Glock wins hands down. A good stipple and frame reduction made my G20 more enjoyable to shoot. Before that it was huge for my hands. The XDM fit much better and was softer on recoil, though mine was 45acp so I don't know what they feel like with 10mm. There are a few quirks on the XDs. Like the extractor. It's a weird design and requires a special tool to remove. It can get gunked up easily and isn't the easiest to clean. The stupid chamber indicator thing on top of the slide, mine always got gunked up and would permanently stick up. It was held in by a roll pin and disassembly was a pain for such a stupid thing to clean so it wouldn't stay stuck upright. Glock, well nothing really wrong internally, so other than it literally being brick like, it's got the edge on the XDm line. Ergos win with the XD line in my opinion though.

LOL @Reno I actually appreciate how honest you are when you share your experiences. Although your defense of mechanical failures/shortcomings never ceases to amaze me either.

Oh, and saying the Glock is "brick like" in comparison to an XD......well.......Pots and Kettles come to mind. :s0140:

I think the weight of the 1911 is more pleasant to shoot 10mm in and the capacity is a mute point imo on a woods gun, are you really squezing off more than a few rounds at a charging bear or cat? If the glock 20 or xd feels great in your hand and points instinctively then go that way and the extra capacity is great. i feel like 9 200gr extreme penetrators are enough and the 1911 trigger is better than either the glock or xd.

LOL @Reno I actually appreciate how honest you are when you share your experiences. Although your defense of mechanical failures/shortcomings never ceases to amaze me either.

Oh, and saying the Glock is "brick like" in comparison to an XD......well.......Pots and Kettles come to mind. :s0140:
Ya, I get flack for defending guns a lot. It's ok. Someone's got to do it.

Well, I know a guy who could fix ya up good with a nice Rock Island Double Stack 1911, that's 17+1 rounds of HOT 10 mm on tap, and it would check ALL the boxes you have, even the ones you didn't know you had! @LuckySG would be More then happy to assist you in getting the 10 mm of your dreams! :cool: Don't mess around with the plastic fantastic's, go big or go home!

Well, I know a guy who could fix ya up good with a nice Rock Island Double Stack 1911, that's 17+1 rounds of HOT 10 mm on tap, and it would check ALL the boxes you have, even the ones you didn't know you had! @LuckySG would be More then happy to assist you in getting the 10 mm of your dreams! :cool: Don't mess around with the plastic fantastic's, go big or go home!

Wise words from a wise man.

My father has one in .40 and seems to like it. No experience myself. If I was to look into a hi-cap 10㎜ auto, truth be told, it would be the RIA 1911, followed by the Glock. (Though I personally carry revolvers in the field these days in the rare case I can get out.)

Cheers. :)

I appreciate the feedback from everyone :)

I was actually set on a Glock 20 originally but two family members, both die-hard Glock guys, had issues with two different G20's and sold them. I was skeptical because I've had nothing but great experiences with my Glocks, but issues with this particular model seem to be uncomfortably common. Both were replaced with XDm's which have had no issues for them and they've really liked. I really liked the XDm .45 I had, so I figured I'd go with one of those.

I hadn't considered a 1911 but that Rock Island does look nice! My concerns are that it weighs over half a pound more and that I've had more issues with my 1911's (owned 11 from a $300 Para to a $3000 Nighthawk, have 7 currently) than any of my polymer guns. I really don't have the time or money (that ammo isn't cheap!) to mess with it, I need something that'll work out of the box. This gun will be a tool in every sense of the word, plus I'll feel better about beating up on something plastic :D

I appreciate the feedback from everyone :)

I was actually set on a Glock 20 originally but two family members, both die-hard Glock guys, had issues with two different G20's and sold them. I was skeptical because I've had nothing but great experiences with my Glocks, but issues with this particular model seem to be uncomfortably common. Both were replaced with XDm's which have had no issues for them and they've really liked. I really liked the XDm .45 I had, so I figured I'd go with one of those.

I hadn't considered a 1911 but that Rock Island does look nice! My concerns are that it weighs over half a pound more and that I've had more issues with my 1911's (owned 11 from a $300 Para to a $3000 Nighthawk, have 7 currently) than any of my polymer guns. I really don't have the time or money (that ammo isn't cheap!) to mess with it, I need something that'll work out of the box. This gun will be a tool in every sense of the word, plus I'll feel better about beating up on something plastic :D

Your money, your choice dude.

I spend quite a bit of time in the woods (camping, hiking, fishing, wheeling, etc) and I'd like to get a high capacity 10mm for OWB carry out there. I've heard great things about the Springfield XDm 10mm's so I think that's the route I'm going to go. They make two models, one with a 4.5" barrel and one with a 5.25" barrel. I like the idea of the 5.25" model but with some of my other carry guns what seems like a negligible increase in size turns out to be a pain. Curious to hear which you'd go with and thoughts in general :)
I have the 5.25" and it is WONDERFUL!! Fits my hand perfectly, shoots to point of aim and is quite soft shooting for it's caliber.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top