JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am thinking about purchasing a firearm in 357 sig I've always been fascinated by the cartridge and I shot my uncles Smith and Wesson chambered in it and I liked it but I'm thinking a Glock or sig 229 I already understand about how hard it is to reload which is fine but I was curious about other members experience with the round thank you

I have a Glock 31 and like it fine. I've never shot a 357sig out of a sig so I'm not sure why @titsonritz would prefer it over a Glock. Interested to hear though. I picked mine up at a pawn shop pretty cheap due to the caliber. It's not my favorite handgun but anything in Glock is not going to be my favorite, just my go to for reliability. :D

Oh and I would reconsider on the 40 barrel if you don't reload. Ammo prices on the 357sig round approach $40 a box at sportsmans last checked. At least you don't need new mags.

Is there any reason other than gun lust (which I totally understand) why you want a .357 Sig? Given the cost difference between the .357 Sig and 9X19mm +P is the difference in performance worth it? When I bought my current EDC piece I went to the gun show looking for a Steyr S40. Finding none I bought the S9, and have not regretted it. You could buy a firkin of 9mm ammo and a 6-pack of good beer for what you would spend on a .357 Sig.
I have gun lust/facination with the .41 Mag but since have other more pressing things that require $ outlay and I have a .357 and dies my lust must remain unrequited.

True but I reload so ammo cost is irrelevant

While the question was posed by you, many people reading this thread may have the same questions but not reload - I think he was just trying to give you as much info as possible.

I look forward to the day I can post "cost is irrelevant to me":rolleyes:

The 229 was built from the ground up for 40S&W and 357 Sig while the Glock was built for the 9mm and retrofitted for 40S&W and 357 Sig.

The reason for the barrel is 40 ammo is both cheaper and more readily available.
So is that why you can get 9mm conversion barrels for Glock 40's and 357's but you can't get 40 or 357 conversion barrels for the Glock 9's?:confused:

Glock 31 is a fine choice.
Not that hard to reload for.
Cam over on sizing being the main trick.
Not using rcbs dies for it being another.
Even though it's a bottleneck cartridge it still head spaces on case mouth.
Don't shoot 40 since I started doing 357sig.
Like 9mm a lot so it's a natural progression to me.
And you can get a 40 and a 9mm barrel for it if you want.
357sig sales would be higher if so many people didn't just convert to to it from a 40.

I'm a big 357 SIG fan. I've had a SIG P239, XD, M&P, HK P2000, and currently a P320 chambered for it.
The best shooting was the HK, shouldn't have sold that one!

No, the back face of the slide is physically larger on the 40s and 357s and will accommodate the 9 so the other way around will not work, the doesn't change the fact the Glock was designed as a 9mm and retrofitted to 40 and 357. If you must have a 40 or 357 Glock make it a 4th Gen.
OK. What is different on the gen 4's beside the changeable backstrap and the dual recoil spring?

I have no qualms against using 9mm +P+, especially in a Glock. Factory Underwood 115's go an honest 1525-50fps.. quite close to the Sig... and as Tits said, most .40's and .357Sigs (which generate 9mm +P+ pressures) are really just 9mm guns modified to shoot those cartridges.

I think most gun manufactures are discontinuing the 357 sig-- a dying breed. Ammo is expensive and can be scarce. If you reload that is one thing-but if you insist on a 357 sig I'd best bet that you should buy one that has an interchangeable barrel for 40 SW--also a round the police are now moving away from. I agree that 9 mm +p+ is a strong competitor. The CZ line of 9's or 40's or if they make a 357 sig may be worth a look at. The Sig line is just great as well. Good luck with this. Ammo availability is a critical factor even if you reload.

If I was going to reload 357 sig for my principal means of ammo supply, I would buy a pistol that has a chamber that fully supports the cartridge so the brass wouldnt stretch as much at the web. Glock chambers dont fully support the case and they will bulge. I think remanufactured ammo is the reason for most Glock 22/23 kabooms. 357 sig sharing the same case head should have similar issues.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top