Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Thinking about buying a 357 sig

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by ZS27, Jan 8, 2016.

1. ZS27

ZS27 Wilsonville OR Active Member

I am thinking about purchasing a firearm in 357 sig I've always been fascinated by the cartridge and I shot my uncles Smith and Wesson chambered in it and I liked it but I'm thinking a Glock or sig 229 I already understand about how hard it is to reload which is fine but I was curious about other members experience with the round thank you

2. ZS27

How come? And are not really interested in having a 40 barrel I'd rather use the money on 357 sig ammo

3. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

I have a Glock 31 and like it fine. I've never shot a 357sig out of a sig so I'm not sure why @titsonritz would prefer it over a Glock. Interested to hear though. I picked mine up at a pawn shop pretty cheap due to the caliber. It's not my favorite handgun but anything in Glock is not going to be my favorite, just my go to for reliability. :D

4. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

Oh and I would reconsider on the 40 barrel if you don't reload. Ammo prices on the 357sig round approach $40 a box at sportsmans last checked. At least you don't need new mags.

5. ZS27

I reload and yea it was my plan to buy one used because they usually go super cheap

6. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

38 Super
    9mm Largo
    357 sig
    41 mag
    10 mm
    hot pistol calibers just never catch on:(
    even though they would make ideal carbine rounds as well

tkdguy, Sgt Nambu and Joe13 like this.
  7. ZS27

Lol I also have a 41 magnum and have had 10mm

8. ZS27

True but I reload so ammo cost is irrelevant

9. ZS27

I have always liked double single action vs striker fired, I am just going to have to keep my eye out for a used one

10. revjen45

revjen45 Snohomish County Well-Known Member

Is there any reason other than gun lust (which I totally understand) why you want a .357 Sig? Given the cost difference between the .357 Sig and 9X19mm +P is the difference in performance worth it? When I bought my current EDC piece I went to the gun show looking for a Steyr S40. Finding none I bought the S9, and have not regretted it. You could buy a firkin of 9mm ammo and a 6-pack of good beer for what you would spend on a .357 Sig.
    I have gun lust/facination with the .41 Mag but since have other more pressing things that require $ outlay and I have a .357 and dies my lust must remain unrequited.

Dyjital and erudne like this.
  11. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

While the question was posed by you, many people reading this thread may have the same questions but not reload - I think he was just trying to give you as much info as possible.

I look forward to the day I can post "cost is irrelevant to me":rolleyes:

12. xtratoy

xtratoy Vancouver USA Active Member

So is that why you can get 9mm conversion barrels for Glock 40's and 357's but you can't get 40 or 357 conversion barrels for the Glock 9's?:confused:

13. misterarman

misterarman Vancouver,Wa. USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Glock 31 is a fine choice.
    Not that hard to reload for.
    Cam over on sizing being the main trick.
    Not using rcbs dies for it being another.
    Even though it's a bottleneck cartridge it still head spaces on case mouth.
    Don't shoot 40 since I started doing 357sig.
    Like 9mm a lot so it's a natural progression to me.
    And you can get a 40 and a 9mm barrel for it if you want.
    357sig sales would be higher if so many people didn't just convert to to it from a 40.

14. czgunner

czgunner SW WA Member

I'm a big 357 SIG fan. I've had a SIG P239, XD, M&P, HK P2000, and currently a P320 chambered for it.
    The best shooting was the HK, shouldn't have sold that one!

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  15. xtratoy

xtratoy Vancouver USA Active Member

OK. What is different on the gen 4's beside the changeable backstrap and the dual recoil spring?

16. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I have no qualms against using 9mm +P+, especially in a Glock. Factory Underwood 115's go an honest 1525-50fps.. quite close to the Sig... and as Tits said, most .40's and .357Sigs (which generate 9mm +P+ pressures) are really just 9mm guns modified to shoot those cartridges.

17. tkdguy

tkdguy Portland, Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I think most gun manufactures are discontinuing the 357 sig-- a dying breed. Ammo is expensive and can be scarce. If you reload that is one thing-but if you insist on a 357 sig I'd best bet that you should buy one that has an interchangeable barrel for 40 SW--also a round the police are now moving away from. I agree that 9 mm +p+ is a strong competitor. The CZ line of 9's or 40's or if they make a 357 sig may be worth a look at. The Sig line is just great as well. Good luck with this. Ammo availability is a critical factor even if you reload.

18. No_Regerts

No_Regerts United States Well-Known Member

If I was going to reload 357 sig for my principal means of ammo supply, I would buy a pistol that has a chamber that fully supports the cartridge so the brass wouldnt stretch as much at the web. Glock chambers dont fully support the case and they will bulge. I think remanufactured ammo is the reason for most Glock 22/23 kabooms. 357 sig sharing the same case head should have similar issues.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016