JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone, as the title says I am thinking of applying for a FFL. Is there any advice out there from the people that do have one? Is the process very hard? I don't plan on opening a actual business. Just want to work out of my home in my small office. Maybe do deals here and there. But mostly want to just be able to order things online. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

20zchsp.jpg

If you had used Search you would have found this http://www.northwestfirearms.com/general-firearm-discussion/87057-thinking-getting-ffl.html Even the title of the thread is almost exactly the same.

Hey everyone, as the title says I am thinking of applying for a FFL. Is there any advice out there from the people that do have one? Is the process very hard? I don't plan on opening a actual business. Just want to work out of my home in my small office. Maybe do deals here and there. But mostly want to just be able to order things online. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Tell that to the ATF and you won't have to worry about how much an FFL costs.;)

Really the only way you are going to get a FFL is to be doing this as a business, maybe in your house just depends on the zoning.

Preface and disclaimer: I don't have one.

Continuing Preface and Disclaimer: I probably never will.

Experience? Only by parental advice. My father had one. For about 5 years. Thought it would help with his collecting. When he got into it, realized the jeopardy he placed upon his household (subject to search at ANY time by BATF(E)), and onerous requirements regarding bookeeping and guns coming and going: not worth the trouble or risk for a collector.

Since that time the requirements are much MORE onerous, and the cost greater. Unless you fully intend to run a business (with serious bookeeping, separating your hobby from your business, etc.), probably not a good way to go.

On the other hand, if you don't understand what a REPUBLIC is, and you have found yourself saying (at anytime about any issue), "Well, If you have nothing to hide, then you should have nothing to worry about!", then perhaps you would not mind at all a knock on the door at 2:30 AM to "check your books", and make sure that ANY gun on the books is under your roof, and any gun not on your books is not.

Experience? Only by parental advice. My father had one. For about 5 years. Thought it would help with his collecting. When he got into it, realized the jeopardy he placed upon his household (subject to search at ANY time by BATF(E)), and onerous requirements regarding bookeeping and guns coming and going: not worth the trouble or risk for a collector.

Since that time the requirements are much MORE onerous, and the cost greater. Unless you fully intend to run a business (with serious bookeeping, separating your hobby from your business, etc.), probably not a good way to go.

On the other hand, if you don't understand what a REPUBLIC is, and you have found yourself saying (at anytime about any issue), "Well, If you have nothing to hide, then you should have nothing to worry about!", then perhaps you would not mind at all a knock on the door at 2:30 AM to "check your books", and make sure that ANY gun on the books is under your roof, and any gun not on your books is not.

Pretty sure it has to be during your normal posted business hours.

Firstly, I would defer to your "pretty sure". (Having no evidence to the contrary, and I was not "pretty sure".)

Secondly, I would ask you to defer to my own experience with law enforcement's propensity to believe (and accomplish) doing anything they want at any hour of any day to any portion of you or your residence on the fair gamble that you can't find an oppositional judge to tell them different.

For what it's worth!

I have an 003 and ask that question to the ATF Seattle office and was vagley told, if there was a sound cause or circumstances they could / would enter the premises whenever. I was also thinking about upgradeing to a 001 and the requirements are quite involved such as set business hours, firearms security that meets their approval ect. I was also told that they at this time were not considering residential FFL 001 dealer applications in the Vancouver Wa. area. This was mid year 2011 and maybe changed?

Firstly, I would defer to your "pretty sure". (Having no evidence to the contrary, and I was not "pretty sure".)

Secondly, I would ask you to defer to my own experience with law enforcement's propensity to believe (and accomplish) doing anything they want at any hour of any day to any portion of you or your residence on the fair gamble that you can't find an oppositional judge to tell them different.

You sound like an attorney.....I'm willing to give you they will try anything.

Well, now I defer to someone holding the cert. No "pretty sure" or "law enforcement propensity" involved at all. They're comin' in at 2:30 AM, (i.e.: "whenever") based on "sound cause" or "circumstance".

Dad was right.

Wouldn't jeopardize his household or family for the sake of saving money or convenience to his hobby.

Which is exactly what I explored. Check very carefully their ("they" being BATFE) right to inspect and scrutinize. One still has to keep books on every gun out, every gun in, and the CR license does not cover newer guns.

As an informational to those without 40 years of gun collecting experience, It should serve as simple and important conveyance here, that I am now very nervous about even the modicum of information I have provided to new arrivals to the gun hobby on this thread. I am operating under no illusion that all is not being watched. I will say that if you are a collector only, do not operate for profit, buy and trade (do not sell for profit/income) locally, I am of the belief that you should have no need for a licence. That is how I operate.

Yep! Even with a C&R you have to keep your records for 20 years before disposing of them.
You give the license up you still have to keep them and not electronicaly either. I have always wondered how many file cabinets some of the high volume shops have?

Well, there you have it, from not only a cert holder, but the guy has a silver-faced yellow lab.

*That is "Echo" and she is thirteen now and slowing down. (>:}-

Take it to the bank.

* People should field their questions on a "one on one" basis with their local ATF field office to hopefully be 100% correct. The results of being out of compliance with them is quite sobering.

your personal guns IE what you came into business with do NOT have to be on the books as you say

Got a buddy that has a FFL, and I have a copy of it, so I can order stuff online that requires a FFL. I just fax or send a copy of it to the seller, and pay with CC. It automatically goes to my buddies house, and he calls me when its in. I just take the $10 he charges for lic. fee, and a case of PBR.

Best thing to do is find somebody that is willing to order stuff for you, and charge you cheap for the deal.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top