JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hers's what my ankle/foot looked like (entry top right side, exit bottom left side).

B864E16C-E1B8-4EA5-84E5-2C8BDB9161A9.jpeg 735CD18A-C815-4F8F-82B6-9591E8706CEF.jpeg

Especially if the "safety" on your pistol of choice is a little trigger on the trigger.

Okay, I'll go there. You know when AIWB became such and "issue"? When we started putting the manual safety ON the trigger. I know, "Safeties are mechanical devices which will fail," (from every NRA test), but mix re-holstering, with lighter than DA trigger, no exposed hammer and no safety, guess what folks, this is what happens...often. Doesn't matter your type of holster. From clothing, drawstrings, mostly fingers and holster parts themselves.

I'm guessing more than half of this crowd carries SF, no thumb safety guns and carry on I say. But if you ignore what is missing compared to other guns containing these features, most respectfully, there is a lack of intellectual honesty. Just like if I denied carrying at Red Robin today AIWB does not pose more of a risk to my body than other modes (I completely acknowledge that it does). And that is why there is a thumb safety on my M&P 2.0C and I never reholster with a loaded gun (practice often with an unloaded one in case I need to at some point).

Not bashing anyone, but I believe we need to discuss and seek understanding so we can learn and be safe.

Cheers,

Last Edited:
When we started putting the manual safety ON the trigger.

That is not a manual safety, it is a passive safety.

I know, "Safeties are mechanical devices which will fail," (from every NRA test), but mix re-holstering, with lighter than DA trigger, no exposed hammer and no safety, guess what folks, this is what happens...often. Doesn't matter your type of holster. From clothing, drawstrings, mostly fingers and holster parts themselves.

I'm guessing more than have of this crowd carries SF, no thumb safety guns and carry on I say. But if you ignore what is missing compared to other guns containing these features, most respectfully, there is a lack of intellectual honesty. Just like if I denied carrying at Red Robin today AIWB does not pose more of a risk to my body than other modes (I completely acknowledge that it does). And that is why there is a thumb safety on my M&P 2.0C and I never reholster with a loaded gun (practice often with an unloaded one in case I need to at some point).

Funny, I've have to drawn and re-holstered a Glock with a round in the chamber literally tens of thousands of times and I'm still here. I must be doing something wrong.

Funny, I've have to drawn and re-holstered a Glock with a round in the chamber literally tens of thousands of times and I'm still here. I must be doing something wrong.

This issue is completely about exposure. You and many, thousands of others have too. And I am sure your are completely safe about it. But remember, only a very small percentage of folks with carry permits take any training or do any practice beyond what is required. I know many, dare say most, retired officers that are at the range once a year for the mandatory qualification. They carried DA Sigs, S&W, etc. and revolvers, now they have guns with only passive safeties. The average drunk driver is caught once for each 2,000 times they drive impaired. A holstered gun only goes bang much less often when reholstering. What would have been caught by...
  • A heavier DA trigger
  • Finger on the back of the hammer
  • Manual safety
...is now going bang. I will never judge and experienced shooter who chooses to carry a SF, passive safety gun. Yet I know many "experienced" shooters who do not feel comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber. Incongruous.

I find it interesting that many high end shooting schools do not allow Serpa holsters because a shooter's finger may hit the trigger. Yet many law enforcement agencies issue them. Again, this is primarily due to SF guns with no mechanical safety. I was at a class this year where an "experienced" shooter had a crazy light trigger on a Glock carry gun.

Choose your risk exposure wisely.

I find it interesting that many high end shooting schools do not allow Serpa holsters because a shooter's finger may hit the trigger. Yet many law enforcement agencies issue them. Again, this is primarily due to SF guns with no mechanical safety. I was at a class this year where an "experienced" shooter had a crazy light trigger on a Glock carry gun.

Choose your risk exposure wisely.

Zero issue with AIWB using the correct holster but have no use for the Serpa at all.

Yep. Warm and fuzzy. That's. About. It.

I carry a pistol with a decocking safety. I know the DA/SA thing isn't a modern favorite, and that any gun is subject to being knuckleheaded, but it adds a layer to get by before a negligent discharge happens. When I holster, I decock and leave the lever in the safe position, put my thumb on the back of the hammer, and then clear a path for the gun to get into the holster. With the hammer down, the firing pin dropped down to an inert position, and the safety lever on, I'd have to not only screw up clearing a path for reholstering, I'd also have to somehow flip the lever into the fire position, and then meet an obstruction that would overcome the double action pull, and somehow have the hammer move all the way back without touching my thumb (which is pressed into the back of the hammer). It's not impossible, so I always make sure the path to the holster is clear, but I'd have to screw up a lot more things to get a ND than I would with a glock.

That FBI agent who did a backflip wouldn't have been a social media sensation if he carried a decocking safety DA/SA pistol. The guy here wouldn't have suffered this life changing wound. Anyway, people should carry what they want to, but I do believe that well designed safety systems offer more than mere warm fuzzies.

That FBI agent who did a backflip wouldn't have been a social media sensation if he carried a decocking safety DA/SA pistol. The guy here wouldn't have suffered this life changing wound.

For the record....

The backflip done by the agent was different than the one we were taught in Quantico. The music was different, too.

Have you ever taken a vickers class? He does not allow any IWB holsters at all. He wants a owb holster in a duty style. Many high quality instructors carry AIWB. Most are a little thinner than Larry although he has been killing it on weight loss as of late.
You should check out the haley strategic series on holster selection.
Due to sanctions vickers had to swim to Russia and back, which caused the weight loss.

Yep, it's an unforgiving world out there. Meanwhile, millions of people will choose to drive drunk in this country tonight.

So, you're saying that while it breaks the "rules" and is really stupid, you should (insert) (drink and drive) (point a gun at yourself all day in AIWB) ignore common sense and act recklessly and dangerously?

Doing anything careless with a firearm can get you shot.
I carry AIWB.
But if I have to reholster my handgun I remove my holster put the handgun in and then put the holster back in my waist band.
I use slide in kydex/leather holsters, and a slide belt. Makes it really easy and safeR.
Nothing with a firearm is ever safe.
Complacency kills.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews