JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hasn't anyone here heard of JES? They can re-bore your 30-06 to 35 whelen or 9.3x62mm no problemo and they do damn good work. Here in state (Cottage Grove) and are known all over the united states. I talk to guys in Texas, Oklahoma, Pensylvania etc, that have had JES do re-bores for them. Always great reports. Cost's about $250.00. May be something you should look into...
I have never heard of them... Do you have a link or contact info?

I have never heard of them... Do you have a link or contact info?
It's very easy to do a search under JES reboring. The mod's may not want me posting a link. Check them out though. It's the best route to take when wanting to go from 30-06 to 35 whelen or 9.3x62. Of course, you may have to give them some measurements of your barrel, just to be sure there will be enough meat left to do the re-bore. Re-boring your model 70 would be a better option anyway than buying a CZ... Good luck with it..

It's very easy to do a search under JES reboring. The mod's may not want me posting a link. Check them out though. It's the best route to take when wanting to go from 30-06 to 35 whelen or 9.3x62. Of course, you may have to give them some measurements of your barrel, just to be sure there will be enough meat left to do the re-bore. Re-boring your model 70 would be a better option anyway than buying a CZ... Good luck with it..
I had contacted another gun smith in Vancouver about boring it out to a 35 Whelen last year, that does seem like it would be a good way to go.

Why would not just a 30.06 be good for Black Bear? Not fast enough? So No blood trail?
No absolutely nothing about bear huntin. Good info in this thread.

I really wish the Marlins in 308 Marlin Express and 338 ME would have been more successful. It was a terrible time for Marlin as the buyout by Remington was just happening and the quality of the rifles when those cartridges were introduced was crap. A 22" full mag stainless/laminated in 338 Marlin Express would have been exceptional! An earlier (Pre 2008?) Marlin 1895M in 450 Marlin would also make a dandy bear gun inside 200 yds. Personally I have a 338-06 Rem 700 that fits that role but like you I am always wanting something just a bit different. Ultimately for me a Rem 7600 in 06 rebored to 35 Whelen w/both apetures and a 1x4 Leupold is gonna be my next Elk/Bear project!!

On two different hunts I shot black bear, once with a .30-06 another time with a .308. Both times the bears got away and weren't found. I have since upped my game to a lever action 444 Marlin - a 1977 Marlin 444S to be specific. It has a much flatter trajectory than 45-70 and as much or more forward velocity at 200 yards then a 44 Magnum (which it is based on, it is a 44 Magnum stretched almost one inch so twice the powder of a 44 Magnum) at 20 yards per the ballistics I have studied. Not doing another bear hunt until 2019 however.

I'd recommend JES reboring also. I had a Ruger No.1 bored from .270 to 35 Whelen Improved. It now pushes 250gr Speer Hot Cores at a fast clip, equaling a 300 WSM for KE out to about 200 yards. I have a rear peep and hooded front sight as my load's maximum point blank range is 225 yards, and I built this as a brush gun. Elk flop pretty quick when I've hit em with it so black bear would be an easy task. That being said I built myself a "bear" gun on a Savage 110 action that I just finished, but I went 7 Mag as I wanted reach since I have my short game covered. I looked at how I was going to hunt first when I built those rifles and let that dictate the rest. 9.3x62 is still on my list of future acquisitions and it'd have to be in a CZ, especially after being gifted a 527 and discovering how all around great those rifles are for the price. Any reason to get another rifle is a good one in my book.

So I'm thinking about getting a rifle specifically for using for black bears only, why? because I want one :D

I'm thinking of a larger then a 30 caliber, some kind of well proven action, shooting around a 200 grain bullet. .338 federal? 35 Remington? 35 Whelen? bolt gun? Lever? Single shot? What do you guys think?
Black bear's a pretty reasonably sized animal. If you get one over 300 lbs., that's a biggin.
I would think anything normally considered a "deer round" that's .30 cal or over would work fine.
Plenty of Gentle Ben's been taken with a .30-30, but you don't necessarily have to limit yourself to that one.
FWIW, I think my dad shot his black bear with his .270.

Dean

I took two bears with an old Win 94 in .30-30 years ago. They would come down into my dad's bees. The second one I shot needed a second round but neither one went far. The first one was only about 25 yards and went right down. Home loads. Not sure what he had loaded but they were pretty hot for the old 94. Took my last one with a .270 in 1977. Haven't hunted them since. .444 or .45-70's are certainly reasonable rounds but any stout big game rifle will do it. But if you're just needing a new rifle....well.... seems like guys never have enough rifles! Good hunting!

Last Edited:
We have black bear on our acreage. I don't hunt them, but I am cautious, though not overly concerned about them. I don't feel under-gunned with, say, the .30⧸30 WCF or .300 Savage we have in the battery. My brother, the eldest in the family, hunts black bear with a .30'06 Remington 700. He makes a delicious jerky from said, but I digress.

That said, the original post stated greater than .30. OK, in that case, .45⧸70 Government. I no longer shoot anything in said, but I did a bunch in the past. It is a darn fine thumper of a cartridge that can be loaded to almost whatever you'd want. I have no doubt it would drop Mr or Mrs. Bruin, if need be.

To the OP, buy one that kills the bear, not allowing him to return the favor, will be the right rifle.
I think simple 30.06 should be adequte. I love the idea of a 45-70 as well. But cost being what they are a
a 30.06 should be had allot cheaper in my opinion.

I've killed 3 w/a 243, they really aren't that big or tough on average. I would guess most killed are under 200 lbs, 2 of mine were but I wasn't specifically hunting bear or I may have been holding out for something bigger.

Shots on bear can be pretty long as they like grazing clear cuts so you'll want a relatively flat shooter. Just like deer though I'm betting most shots are around 100 yds or less. As mentioned they can have a thick layer of fat but a relatively thin hide, good penetration is important but your not punching through hog amour.

Like elk there's a 1 in 25 (just picking a #) chance that you'll come across one that isn't average, in which case you'll want a caliber you'll feel confident that will hit it hard enough to do the job (I hunt elk w/a 338 RUM as I've come across a couple of those biggens'). The problem is if you go with a monster mag you'll blow the crud out of an 'average' size bear at shorter distances. A 7mm-08 or a 280 would work well, I like short actions myself. If you want 30 cal most will work but I'd go with something that can carry out to at least 400 yds and still retain sufficient energy to do the job with a 150-180gn bullet. A 308 would work great as would a 300 WSM, or an '06 if you like long actions. My Savage 99f in 308 is a great bear gun but I would limit shots to a max of 300 yds as accuracy isn't it's strongest point but it's a great carry gun and has a fast action.

...since my prior response did not mention anything larger than .30 cal, and since the OP is interested in a cartridge larger than .30 cal.....

So I'm thinking about getting a rifle specifically for using for black bears only, why? because I want one :D

I'm thinking of a larger then a 30 caliber, some kind of well proven action, shooting around a 200 grain bullet. .338 federal? 35 Remington? 35 Whelen? bolt gun? Lever? Single shot? What do you guys think?
How about the Browning BLR in .358 Winchester.
.35 cal version of the .308. Same power as the old .35 Winchester cartridge.
Big, fat and juicy .35 cal. Silvertip or Core-Lokt should do very well against anything North America will throw against you.

MVC-003F.jpg

...:s0155:

Dean

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show