JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
45-70 lever

In the 1960s, A friend shot a huge four point White tail in the back side with a Marlin in 45/70s the hole in the ham was wide enough for him to put his fist into, must have been the exit wound and he had small hands but it went in up to his wrist.
Lol, or flies at 150 yards.. I used to have a .243 and man was that thing accurate.

Three holes touching never any change @100 yards. Darn nice rifle.

The rifle you get for your black bear is less important than the length of pull in the stock. Bear arms are not as long as ours and although we have a constitutional right to bear arms, I'm not sure it extends to arming bears.

If you have to, I'd go with a lever action with the enlarged lever.

Good luck with your strange request!
I couldn't have said that better myself? But i'm not sure that I would have wanted to. Now i'm confused.

From my experience, the good old 30-06 with a 200gr. Nosler partition is hard to beat:

OHS2XU1.jpg

I do have a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 I had thought about rebarrelling into a .35 Whelen to shoot elk/bears with at the coast but it seems like it would be more money then I was wanting to spend on a project currently.

Its a waste of money. 30 caliber with a decent bullet is far more versatile than a 35, especially when factoring in twist rates.

Working in the brush with a short rifle and a heavy projectile at close range on bear, works just as well on deer and Elk.
That 250 grain spire point slug fitted to that .350 Rem. Mag. has killed all of the above game, at close range. I still and always will consider it the best bear gun and cartridge, I have ever handled wile hunting bear with dogs. Those were some of the most exciting times of my life. Hunting that is!
The rifle should be light, short and fast, packing a wallop you feel confident enough to bet your life on.
Silver Hand

Last Edited:
For those thinking along the lines of a Lever do not rule out Marlins NASTY .444 in my dads group in the late 60's that was a go to round for Black bears.

I do have a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 I had thought about rebarrelling into a .35 Whelen to shoot elk/bears with at the coast but it seems like it would be more money then I was wanting to spend on a project currently.

Hasn't anyone here heard of JES? They can re-bore your 30-06 to 35 whelen or 9.3x62mm no problemo and they do damn good work. Here in state (Cottage Grove) and are known all over the united states. I talk to guys in Texas, Oklahoma, Pensylvania etc, that have had JES do re-bores for them. Always great reports. Cost's about $250.00. May be something you should look into...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top