JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Need help identifying this rifle. Friend asked me to see if it was genuine and what it might be worth. Looks original to me, but I also see a stamp of 30-06 on the breech
I have some WW2 rifles, none are Japanese.
Here are some pics. I have taken many, but here are a few and you can ask for more.
Thanks in advance for 20200629_102551.jpg 20200629_102646.jpg 20200629_102653.jpg 20200629_102700.jpg 20200629_102839.jpg any help 20200629_102846.jpg 20200629_102850.jpg 20200629_102913.jpg 20200629_103002.jpg 20200629_103042.jpg 20200629_103047.jpg 20200629_103103.jpg 20200629_112318.jpg 20200629_112330.jpg 20200629_112339.jpg 20200629_112410.jpg

20200629_102508.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a early war type 99 Arisaka....notice the anti-aircraft bars / wings on the rear sight.
Stock has been cut down....
And if re-chambered in .30 -06 which is not unheard of for a 1950's or 60's conversion , makes for a issue as well.
( At least for "value" and perhaps accuracy )

Around my neck of the woods ....this may fetch $200 - $300 , if one was lucky.
Andy

20+ years ago an old-timer gave me a similarly modified Arisaka to try out. He wanted to sell it to me and insisted I take it out and shoot a few round through it first.

Like Andy says, it wasn't uncommon back in the day to rechamber an Arisaka to 30-06. The problem is that a 30-06 bore is .308", and a 7.7x58 bore is .312". It will work, but may not be terribly accurate. The one I shot wasn't actually that bad for accuracy, good enough for dear hunting on the coast, where 200 yards is a long shot. It kicked something terrible though. I took it back to him and said thanks, but no thanks. :)

Can't quite tell what the mfg is because the image is little bit too blurry for my eyes. Have attached a link below that you might find interesting to read about these. The characters and single hole on the receiver indicate it was originally chambered for 7.7 Jap. Similar in size to the 3006 which allowed rechambering to be done with ease. However, you never know about the qualifications of who did the work, so you would be best served if you had the headspace checked. However, whomever did the work had the foresight to permanently mark the rifle with respect to its chambering. Problem with this ammo is no American company I know of ever made the 7.7Jap cartridge available. Not Remington, Winchester, Federal, etc. Don't know why as there have been many civilian rifles chambered for the German 8Mauser (maybe it was because the Japanese struck our homeland and the Germans didn't?). There may be specialty outfits that pop up every now and then to offer small runs of ammo. I bought some Norma brass from Midway USA and a set of reloading dies to feed mine. Fun to shoot.

Lots more Mausers from 2 ww's made it to our shores than did 7.7 Ari's. Ive got a small boatload of Mausers but nary an Ari.. the 6.5 Ari is a kick-butt deer round and I have gotten to know a carbine in that caliber thanks to a friend's Dad who brought one back from the S Pacific many years ago. It hunted the Michigan deer woods many a season. Would give my eyeteeth to have that one! That said tho, the Mauser is far more prevalent and certainly by far the most popular in both original and converted flavors...
The chopped Ari posted above by joesan99 looks to have nice metal, how's the bore? A pity the mum was ground or I'd say maybe look around for another original stock.. then again with the caliber change, maybe not worth the effort. Would make someone a good knock-around deer rifle...

Can't quite tell what the mfg is because the image is little bit too blurry for my eyes. Have attached a link below that you might find interesting to read about these. The characters and single hole on the receiver indicate it was originally chambered for 7.7 Jap. Similar in size to the 3006 which allowed rechambering to be done with ease. However, you never know about the qualifications of who did the work, so you would be best served if you had the headspace checked. However, whomever did the work had the foresight to permanently mark the rifle with respect to its chambering. Problem with this ammo is no American company I know of ever made the 7.7Jap cartridge available. Not Remington, Winchester, Federal, etc. Don't know why as there have been many civilian rifles chambered for the German 8Mauser (maybe it was because the Japanese struck our homeland and the Germans didn't?). There may be specialty outfits that pop up every now and then to offer small runs of ammo. I bought some Norma brass from Midway USA and a set of reloading dies to feed mine. Fun to shoot.
For your reloads- do you use standard .308 cal bullets, or go a bit larger to the bullets used for 7.7, 7.62X39 soviet, 7.62X54 Nagant, or .303 Brit?

thanks guys for all your help.
I'll check the MFG markings and let you know.The bore looks pretty dirty and frosted, but it needs a good cleaning to tell for sure.

I really never liked the arisaka or at least the one I had because I never learned to live with the safety on those rifles. I have often wondered if an alternative safety could be fitted?

For your reloads- do you use standard .308 cal bullets, or go a bit larger to the bullets used for 7.7, 7.62X39 soviet, 7.62X54 Nagant, or .303 Brit?
My rifle benefits from using he larger .312 bullets - Hornady, Sierra, Speer (just like my SMLE, Nagant and ARAK). Have used .308 but have to remember to install a different expander button so the case will have good neck tension with them. Accuracy with the larger bullets hover around 4" at 200yd. More like 7" with the 308's at that distance.
I purchased a used rear sight slide to modify so I could keep the original part for later. I drilled and tapped the replacement slide to accept small allen set screws. I drilled a couple different sized holes through those set screws which allow me to have multiple rear apertures. Depending on lighting conditions this improves my sight picture.

thanks guys for all your help.
I'll check the MFG markings and let you know.The bore looks pretty dirty and frosted, but it needs a good cleaning to tell for sure.
Careful with the cleaning. This was the first rifle issued to a military force that had a chrome lined barrel. Mine shows some flashing around the muzzle, where the chrome application process sort of allowed some to "spill out". Don't get too aggressive with it.

i have two type 99. the one i got for ten bucks in 1970 slugs out at .316. the one my dad brought back from okinawa slugs at .314. neither shoots for crap. custom bullets can be had but are very expensive. the breeching is too complicated for cheap and easy rebarrelling. i consider these of historical value only.
( i have shot original no headstamp jap ammo and it is no wonder they lost -.310 bullet)
(occasional head separations can be expected with reformed 30.06 cases)

Last Edited:
I really never liked the arisaka or at least the one I had because I never learned to live with the safety on those rifles. I have often wondered if an alternative safety could be fitted?
A benefit of knowing how the safety works on these; is that during old war movies when the actors are palming the bolt - you can be the expert and wow the crowd. No one else would know.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top