JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd rather own land than Silver/Gold, because the earth isn't making anymore of that (ok volcanoes are, but you get the point).

How will you get fuel when nobody will take dollars for it. How will fuel reach the stations when nobody will haul it for nothing. Marshal law and full control of the country when the dollar goes down. Who will decide what you get and will it be local or national?

jj

Can somebody explain to me how owning supposed precious metals of any kind will save you in a new economy? These things are also false representations of value in a complete monetary fallout. The only things you could possibly stockpile of value will be actual commodoties that can be traded. I would rather have seeds, ammo and stale coffee than a whole pile of gold any day. I won't stockpile anything that won't convert directly into food or bartering value.

Just sayin.

Why are investors demanding physical gold rather than just paper investments. <broken link removed>

A billion dollars worth of gold and they want it in their reach.... nothing to see here move along

jj

If you have a farm with livestock, a few horses and the know how to live like people did 100years ago you will go the furthest in a real economic collapse. Gold probably won't do much imo but you never know how things could be. I vote for commodoties

How will you get fuel when nobody will take dollars for it. How will fuel reach the stations when nobody will haul it for nothing. Marshal law and full control of the country when the dollar goes down. Who will decide what you get and will it be local or national?

jj

If we get to that point, there are way bigger problems than anything you can buy. These SHTF scenarios usually end with us going back to work the following Monday. If the dollar comes to an end, there will be a new form of currency in it's place, which will have slowy over time became the norm. This won't happen overnight.

Yep pretty much screwed once the government outlaws owning gold/silver.... And that will be 1 of the first things to go. Send troops to our stores or what's left if them, then go for the gold/silver and guns. Cuz "they are here to protect us"

So when the dollar tanks and nobody will take it...

Where will you get a pair of shoes?

Where will you buy clothes for the family?

Where will old people stay and who will take care of them?

Who will take care of your parents?

Will you be living with brown outs day to day?

Will they take your house and force you into a fema camp because you can't pay?

Do they allow guns at fema camps?

Hope you are getting the drift, today in one day they spent all the money they argued over on the budget. Best to start really looking after your own if you care about them. Better pray it is after the countries harvest that the dump the dollar and not before.

I am done with this thread, I won't put myself up for any ridicule. I have tried to warn what is comming. I hope it all works out for you. Think about what it means when money is worthless and you can protect yourself. Understand who will try to take what you have from you.

jj

This judgment day could happen, but if it does to the extreme you say, my plan is:

I live in the country, well water, with a hand crank pump. Grow vegetables buried in a underground fridge, hunt for the occasional deer meat, fish down at the river. And live a peaceful nonexistent life until I die. Hence why you should get a spot of land while you can.

...The only things you could possibly stockpile of value will be actual commodoties that can be traded. I would rather have seeds, ammo and stale coffee than a whole pile of gold any day. I won't stockpile anything that won't convert directly into food or bartering value...

Mediums of exchange (paper currencies, metals) exist because commodities have finite shelf lives. Commodities degrade over time, so the "value" of a particular commodity held in one's hand will be subjective if it is used for trade or barter purposes. That is why currency of some sort will always be used in a developed society; it facilitates exchange.

That is why currency of some sort will always be used in a developed society; it facilitates exchange.
It's also popular with governments because the value can be easily modified to suit their own purposes. Check out Milton Friedman's "Free to Choose" (available at your local library or on 10min sections on YouTube).

http://miltonfriedman.blogspot.com/

As to degredation of commodoties, not all of them are subject to this. I'm pretty sure a room full of hunting rifles will outlast me and (along with ammo) will be quite solvent in a survival scenario.

I'm not buying his book either - but the presentation was instructive.

I agree - I'm pretty sure we won't be as calm and polite with each other as the japanese have been lately. I'm thinking more along the lines of a nationwide katrina - if you remember how that fiasco went.

Can somebody explain to me how owning supposed precious metals of any kind will save you in a new economy?

Mediums of exchange (paper currencies, metals) exist because commodities have finite shelf lives. Commodities degrade over time, so the "value" of a particular commodity held in one's hand will be subjective if it is used for trade or barter purposes. That is why currency of some sort will always be used in a developed society; it facilitates exchange.

Precious metals will always have value in any society which has trade. Even if we fall long and hard to almost nothing, trade will start again and traders need to deal at least at some level with a commodity that is very dense in value. Bullets are all well and good, but if they are scarce enough to have value then you probably actually need to use them up. Also, if someone is trading over distance, they don't to carry heavy or bulky items as their "currency"; they bulk of their load needs to be trade items. Traders will want to buy bullets with silver over here in Peacefulville and then bring them back and sell them to you for more silver in Ransackleton. Precious metals fulfil the role of dense value, long-lasting, not subject to spoiling or damage, and nearly universally recognized and desired.

So when the dollar tanks and nobody will take it...

Where will you get a pair of shoes?

Where will you buy clothes for the family?

Where will old people stay and who will take care of them?

Who will take care of your parents?

Will you be living with brown outs day to day?

Will they take your house and force you into a fema camp because you can't pay?

Do they allow guns at fema camps?

Hope you are getting the drift, today in one day they spent all the money they argued over on the budget. Best to start really looking after your own if you care about them. Better pray it is after the countries harvest that the dump the dollar and not before.

I am done with this thread, I won't put myself up for any ridicule. I have tried to warn what is comming. I hope it all works out for you. Think about what it means when money is worthless and you can protect yourself. Understand who will try to take what you have from you.

jj

:s0166: you better not only be ready, but willing to live without these comforts that we've grown accustomed to...you better have the skill-set required to "dissapear" with your family into the mountains and thrive as man once did thousands of years ago...

Precious metals will always have value in any society which has trade. Even if we fall long and hard to almost nothing, trade will start again and traders need to deal at least at some level with a commodity that is very dense in value. Bullets are all well and good, but if they are scarce enough to have value then you probably actually need to use them up. Also, if someone is trading over distance, they don't to carry heavy or bulky items as their "currency"; they bulk of their load needs to be trade items. Traders will want to buy bullets with silver over here in Peacefulville and then bring them back and sell them to you for more silver in Ransackleton. Precious metals fulfil the role of dense value, long-lasting, not subject to spoiling or damage, and nearly universally recognized and desired.

I do see the need for dense commodoties for trade in the long term; but in terms of creating a survival readiness plan, that would not be the first place I put my money. If the dollar crashes and mayhem ensues, gold and silver will not likely be useful for trade with anybody I encounter locally who has something I want.

Precious metals will always have value in any society which has trade.

Yes. Metals and fiat fluctuate in value against each other according to the level of confidence in government. Those who believe a monetary system (whether fiat or metals) will be eliminated in favor of barter are disregarding history.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top