JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I never wanted to be one of those guys that told the "in my day" stories. Now that I am going to be a father soon I am especially concerned about not sounding like too much of a relic in front of the new kid. Still, I find myself just today talking about how when I was a kid there was no such thing as a store that was open on Sunday. Even the gas stations were closed. I remember when we got the town's first convenient store that stayed open on Sunday and how some people protested them for it. I loved them because they got the town's very first Space Invaders game. I used to spend hours there spending the quarters I earned by collecting 16oz glass coke bottles. Geez, my kid is going to think I am a dinosaur if I say crap like that.

Do you catch yourself doing stuff like this that makes you sound like an old geezer?

I never wanted to be one of those guys that told the "in my day" stories. Now that I am going to be a father soon I am especially concerned about not sounding like too much of a relic in front of the new kid. Still, I find myself just today talking about how when I was a kid there was no such thing as a store that was open on Sunday. Even the gas stations were closed. I remember when we got the town's first convenient store that stayed open on Sunday and how some people protested them for it. I loved them because they got the town's very first Space Invaders game. I used to spend hours there spending the quarters I earned by collecting 16oz glass coke bottles. Geez, my kid is going to think I am a dinosaur if I say crap like that.

Do you catch yourself doing stuff like this that makes you sound like an old geezer?

Yes.
If you hear the music my 12yr old listens to, you can imagine the words that come out of my mouth. Sounds just like your parents. (assuming they are like my parents)

I find it hard to believe that what kids are dealing with these days compares to what I had to deal with as a child.

Being a kid now would suck.

I wonder if my parent thought the same when I was a kid.

I don't think there is a way to get around sounding like a old-fahrt when telling your kids about the old-days.
Remember when we said the Pledge of Allegiance before class started?

You get over it with age... so it doesn't matter. It is replaced by being humored by the kids pretending to know how the world works while they make fun of of old geezers and fools of themselves :)
Every generation goes through it as youngsters and then again as old farts. You are in that "between age" where you like to pretend you are "young" while you know it is fading away. Don't fight it and you will enjoy the ride and not care what the kids will inevitably think about you.

One word you rarely hear today associated with older people, the elderly, becoming a “geezer” etc., is wisdom.

You gain wisdom by learning from experiences-especially the difficult, painful ones that can become life’s valuable lessons.

This doesn’t mean that you’ve got to be old to be wise but many older people have more accumulated wisdom than younger ones.

Many young(and not necessarily chronologically young)people have difficulty recognizing the value of elderly people outside their immediate family.

Thus, the disparaging words like geezer(which I’ve used myself-when I was younger:eek:).

But the joke’s on them because-short of an untimely death-everybody grows old.

I am old, when my 2nd son was about 8 he became obsessed with video games and I became a bit preachy about it, but I really didn't get it at all. One day I decided to spend the huge amount of hours learning a game all the way through. I did it, I dreamed of being the characters, I learned to manipulate that crude keytraption to perfection, and when I was done I got it, this is form of art that has amazing potential, and can be very beautiful, as valuable as reading a book and as entertaining as watching a great movie. I never played another one to any extent at all, I'm not of that generation and don't enjoy being nervous as a means of fun, but I did get it, and I learned a little of the beauty my son sees in them, and was less alienated from him. He got it to, that i loved him enough to at least try and see a thing from his point of view.

My 13 year-old heard me listening to Alice in Chains and thought I was 'cool'. Most of the things they're into, like anime Avatar: the Last Airbender and video games, have stone-age precedents from my generation (Speed Racer, Coleco) that they find fascinating.

I can't pull out "trudging five miles in the snow" stories, but they find the strangest things barbaric, like black-and-white TV and rotary phones. Other things that mark me with the Scarlett 'G' of geezerhood are that I rarely text, and I refuse to facebook or tweet.

Still, they are wonderful kids, and probably much better adjusted than I was at their age.

If you miss those places, move to Vancouver, everything closes early there.

Yeah, but it can be fun too.

When my daughter was 20 (a couple years ago,) my father showed her and her best friend an ice pick and asked them if they knew what it was. Now these are smart kids, but they never figured it out. Even after we told them, they couldn't figure out why anyone would need it. So we had to explain about "defrosting the refrigerator."

I gave us a chance allow our younger folk to bask in the presence of older people who are privy to the Great and Wondrous Knowledge of Esoteric Things Ancient and Divine.

Well, at least i thought so. They were interested, but not particularly impressed.

When my daughter was 20 (a couple years ago,) my father showed her and her best friend an ice pick and asked them if they knew what it was. Now these are smart kids, but they never figured it out. Even after we told them, they couldn't figure out why anyone would need it. So we had to explain about "defrosting the refrigerator."

Heck, I learned what an ice pick was because my grandparents actually had an ICE BOX, not a refrigerator at one point and had to buy blocks of ice. :s0155:

Well you must be a geez cause Fred Meyer has been open on Sunday's since the 50's. ( Don't ask how I know that ) :D

I gave us a chance allow our younger folk to bask in the presence of older people who are privy to the Great and Wondrous Knowledge of Esoteric Things Ancient and Divine.

Well, at least i thought so. They were interested, but not particularly impressed.

"defrosting a refrigerator" I have a 31 cf freezer that needs doing now. She can practice on it, but NOT with an ice pick!! They were for breaking the blocks of ice apart. Using them in a refer/freezer is a good way to puncture the tubing.

Heck, I learned what an ice pick was because my grandparents actually had an ICE BOX, not a refrigerator at one point and had to buy blocks of ice. :s0155:

rented a TT in 1957 for a trip to AZ. It had an ice box and a pull out seat with a plastic bag for a toilet right in the aisleway of the TT. No privacy at all! Used a "thunder mug" for the liquids and just tossed the contents out the door.

I'm a little younger than that, but I did have a job working the projectors at a movie theater in NY. We used to pull the films out of cans and splice them (by hand) onto a huge platter, and run them through the projectors. The place had a curtain that came across the screen, and a player piano for the original silent pictures that showed there. The building is now an antique mall, and the projectors sold at auction for tons of money. They used them in the film Inglorious Basterds. I ran those projectors for years, and the movies that we ran are now "classics" at the video store.
I tell my son about it, and he's blown away about how "old timey" I am.
Also: I thought they still did the pledge of allegiance before school. They don't? That pisses me off!

Just FYI... it took a bit to actually learn this for me, and I got it from Clint Smith:

I didn't get his big by not being able to read and find food....

We still dig holes with shovels and integrity counts. The only thing work doesnt cure is a sore back.....

We need a drive on culture.

P.S. all that said.... if your wee one cries and you tell them you will give them something to cry about.... I'll kick you *** personally!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top