JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Prepping a little food is actually really easy, and fun I have my kids help me. I like to use 5 gallon buckets with Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers, combo of those 3 can keep food good for 8 to 15 years. Also throw in a baggie of salt or sugar, or some kind of flavoring with every bucket. Good times. In a crap disaster of some sort I'm not going anywhere, unless my home crumbles or is under water. I do find it funny when I see bug out bags that are mostly ammo, cause if you don't have shelter, then food and water, then you're not gonna need that ammo, just saying.

Sarge (Nambu) I wish I had as glorious a story as you do about why I'm old (Well, ok I'm only 43, but I'm way overweight so I feel 63...) but I'm just tired.

I've had a desk job for the last 20 years (Worked a lot of construction before that) so I'm working on getting in better shape.

I tried to get into the military, but my bad ears kept me out. I've always regretted not being able to be a part of a family that awesome.

I actually felt a little crappy about myself when I first read this guys post. Reading your replies (everybody's) put it back in perspective for me. Thank you.

I'll keep buying seeds, and ammo, and water storage and learning as much as I can, while cutting out the soda and needless carbs and walking. Rome wasn't built in a day, and I wouldn't let some twit like this discourage me from keeping on keeping on.

Sarge (Nambu) I wish I had as glorious a story as you do about why I'm old (Well, ok I'm only 43, but I'm way overweight so I feel 63...) but I'm just tired.

I've had a desk job for the last 20 years (Worked a lot of construction before that) so I'm working on getting in better shape.

I tried to get into the military, but my bad ears kept me out. I've always regretted not being able to be a part of a family that awesome.

I actually felt a little crappy about myself when I first read this guys post. Reading your replies (everybody's) put it back in perspective for me. Thank you.

I'll keep buying seeds, and ammo, and water storage and learning as much as I can, while cutting out the soda and needless carbs and walking. Rome wasn't built in a day, and I wouldn't let some twit like this discourage me from keeping on keeping on.

Lose the weight and work out. At 43 I was a thunderbolt

Way to go Jack! I'm not sure what that jerk was up to, if it was just trolling he bit off more than he could chew! You are very right not to be discouraged by anything he said. Wow! Glorious? Not really, not at all! All I tried to do was pull my weight in a bad situation in a horrible climate. The glorious part was feeling that jet press into my back on takeoff! One more thing. A person dosen't have to have been in the military to be a decent, caring, courageous man or woman. You sound like a pretty stand up guy to me! Hang in there! SRG

Can you shoot straight fast?
Hell you are in shape then.
Getting in shape is just self discipline. Hard sometimes, but
in a bad situation, you will be in shape in about a week or two if you are even half way there.
Never let negative POS that have no clue about others, say anything to get you down or break your resolve. He most likely projected his own inadequacies.
That is usually the case with people like that. He probably can't see his own feet.

Cutting crap from your diet will make the world of difference. Back in 2001 I took a new job that offered the added perk of an on-site cafeteria with bottomless soft drinks. Which previous to that I had consumed like it was going out of style. One day I switched over to iced tea, within 3 months I had dropped 50 lbs and I felt a lot better.

Over the last two years I've been dropping most processed foods from my diet. So if I want to go out and eat a burger, I go to the local place that buys meat through the same place my local grocery store buys their meat, not mcdonalds that buys custom formed pink-slime enriched garbage.

I don't know what I'm going to do about mustard and ketchup, but then, I don't eat much ketchup. Mustard, life will not be as good without you.

I'm not understanding why you WOULD cut mustard from your diet?
10 health benefits of mustard - Read Health Related Blogs, Articles & News on Alternative medicine at Health.India.com

Cutting crap from your diet will make the world of difference. Back in 2001 I took a new job that offered the added perk of an on-site cafeteria with bottomless soft drinks. Which previous to that I had consumed like it was going out of style. One day I switched over to iced tea, within 3 months I had dropped 50 lbs and I felt a lot better.

Over the last two years I've been dropping most processed foods from my diet. So if I want to go out and eat a burger, I go to the local place that buys meat through the same place my local grocery store buys their meat, not mcdonalds that buys custom formed pink-slime enriched garbage.

I don't know what I'm going to do about mustard and ketchup, but then, I don't eat much ketchup. Mustard, life will not be as good without you.

A few simple steps can prove very effective over a few months time: Cutting out those concentrated carbs like breads, rice, pastas, and potatoes will stop spiking your insulin levels which make you FAT. Ditto sugars and processed foods which contain sugars (start looking at labels, and you'll see almost all do... especially those labeled "low fat"). Sugar is likely disguised under a plethora of names like fruit concentrates, maltose, dextrose, syrups, fructose, evaporated cane juice, raw sugar, malt syrup... the list goes on.
Another easy step to employ is to add 50% raw food to your diet: once a week cut of a boatload of raw veggies and store in a big Tupperware type bin in the fridge - onions, cukes, bell peppers, kale, broccoli, and red cabbage - I actually use a blender on some of it to make it easy for the body to absorb. Then simply add it to the food you plan to eat. If I want a bowl of chili, I have HALF a bowl and mix in the other half with those raw veggies. very tasty actually, and adds multiple nutrients to your meal while reducing calories too.

A few simple steps can prove very effective over a few months time: Cutting out those concentrated carbs like breads, rice, pastas, and potatoes will stop spiking your insulin levels which make you FAT. Ditto sugars and processed foods which contain sugars (start looking at labels, and you'll see almost all do... especially those labeled "low fat"). Sugar is likely disguised under a plethora of names like fruit concentrates, maltose, dextrose, syrups, fructose, evaporated cane juice, raw sugar, malt syrup... the list goes on.
Another easy step to employ is to add 50% raw food to your diet: once a week cut of a boatload of raw veggies and store in a big Tupperware type bin in the fridge - onions, cukes, bell peppers, kale, broccoli, and red cabbage - I actually use a blender on some of it to make it easy for the body to absorb. Then simply add it to the food you plan to eat. If I want a bowl of chili, I have HALF a bowl and mix in the other half with those raw veggies. very tasty actually, and adds multiple nutrients to your meal while reducing calories too.

I totally eat paleo, cut carbs to less than 30g and no sugars, no fruit, I eat protein and some veggies 3'times a day, no snacking, and I eat every meal within 5 min. After I have started this, more energy, more strength, feel better everyday, lost 20 lbs in a month of stored fat, gave me the strength to get back into shape, running 3'miles per day is a minimum now, living without carbs and sugars has been a life changing plus for me.

Man, I bet the original poster is just furious with how useful and awesome you guys have made this thread!

I grew up on a farm, so under this blubber layer I'm as strong as an Ox, but man, it really does suck to carry this around!

I'm much better about getting walking in, and living on 5 acres it seems I'm always doing chores. It really boils down to planning my meals better and like you said, 100% kill sugar and soda... I'm working on it, I sometimes work and forget to eat, then I'm starving and for some reason my body craves fat and crap...like, a cheeseburger! That satisfies me instantly, but then I feel like crap later.

Honestly one of the best things that has happened to me is working from home. I can use my vita mix (when I remember to buy fruits and veggies) and I'm nowhere near a fast food joint at lunch.

Let's see, today was a bad example. I left home early to go to a gun show, stopped at McDonalds and ate a McGriddle and orange juice, then didn't eat again all day until dinner and had chimichangas at the local winery...bad bad bad. I need to start carrying healthy snacks with me so when I get on the road and I'm starving I'm not at the mercy of the fast food joints... Great suggestions on here! You guys really are the best.

Fat is not as bad as the media makes it out to be, fats and cholesterol are two things your body cannot live without, in fact your brain is 70% by weight of these two materials, and if you don't consume enough of either, your body will not be able to feed it's brain, or synthesize hormones that are made from these materials.

I avoid foods that are high in sugar, this includes starches that are broken down rapidly into sugars... when I am looking to eat something, I look for complex carbs, fats, and protein, best consumed together, especially when it comes to breakfast as the carbs will give me some instant energy, then my body will start burning the fats to digest the proteins. If you are eating only animal meats, you need 2:1 ratio of fats to protein to avoid rabbit starvation, generally, I try to make sure my diet is not more than 30-40% (by kcal) of carbs, with a strong preference towards complex carbs. Typical foods that meet this requirement are beans, whole-wheat breads, oatmeal, potatos, carrots.

From this some common dishes:

1) Breakfast burritos (no cheese) - eggs, bacon/sausage/chorizo, hashed browns, with some salsa or sriracha.
2) Shepherds pie - chunks of meat, vegetables, buried underneath mashed potatoes and baked
3) navy bean soup - 4pints water, 1lb white beans, 1/2cup each of (carrots, celery, sweet onions), 2 bay leaves, 1 ham shank, fresh ground pepper, salt to taste
4) Chilli - like this needs instructions, dump what you got in a pot

Stuff to look out for:

Most foods that say "low fat" usually have added sugar, which IMHO is worse than fat.
Lots of processed foods (nearly all) contain corn syrup this includes most salad dressings, so you might think you're doing good by eating an italian dressing... you're actually better off with blue cheese or ranch.
Juices, much of what's sold as juice has tons of added sugar, cranberry and grape juice are huge offenders on this one, OJ isn't far behind. Also, you can mix your juice with water or soda water to make it less sweet and consume a smaller amount of it.

In all honesty, I think you would have been better off eating chimichangas for breakfast and dinner than eating at micky-d's. Especially a mcgriddle... last time I ate one of those I felt like the guys from super-troopers who were guzzling bottles of syrup at the local diner. I kinda wanted to die afterwards. I will admit to being totally addicted to their coffee, I usually have a large in the morning, and another on my way home in the evening. Again, no sugar and I usually don't do their cream (which is non-dairy) instead I buy a little jug of milk.

Good snacks to have on the road: trail mix, it's high in complex carbs, fat and protein, but it contains A LOT of calories, so if you're watching your weight, don't eat too much, just enough to take the edge off.
I have noticed there are more than a few all natural apple sauce packet companies out there, that sell regular applesauce with nothing added to it (most applesauce is full of sugar) for packaging with kids lunches, there's one company that sells it in pouches.

The whole goal is to find out what the right balance of what your body needs is, and then make sure you're delivering that and then scale the volumes back to meet your calorie needs to get your weight goals.

Well, I'm not what I used to be. I did give a young man a run for his money when he jumped me last year. Word is he had some sore ribs.

I could be more well prepared in the food and water department. Haven't bought any gas masks....

Then sometimes I wonder if I really need to survive an apocalypse... What about medicine? I have diabetes. It's under great control (Paleo) and I'm currently off of all meds. When I'm hungry and all that's available is Twinkies.... With no meds.... Might be a slow and miserable way to go... With meds, they will expire in a year or less. it's grim for a guy like me.

Well, I'm not what I used to be. I did give a young man a run for his money when he jumped me last year. Word is he had some sore ribs.

I could be more well prepared in the food and water department. Haven't bought any gas masks....

Then sometimes I wonder if I really need to survive an apocalypse... What about medicine? I have diabetes. It's under great control (Paleo) and I'm currently off of all meds. When I'm hungry and all that's available is Twinkies.... With no meds.... Might be a slow and miserable way to go... With meds, they will expire in a year or less. it's grim for a guy like me.

Beats the alternative and nothing, not even your demise, is written in stone

If there was a disaster or some other SHTF scenario that requires self-sufficiency on the level most are prepping for, I think a few extra pounds could be possibly helpful. Case in point. I am by no means a reality TV kind of person (except of course the hunting/fishing/shooting types) but think back to the very first season of Survivor that I did actually watch. The winner had an advantage over the others by being about 40-50lbs overweight. This helped him through the many low calorie days because fat is really stored energy. Not saying that I wouldn't rather have my 24 year old body over my current 44 year old body but not at the expense of the knowledge, wisdom and patience I have gained with the gray hair and arthritis. That being said, prepping to me is about NOT depending on someone or something (the gubberment) for basic survival needs during a crisis or disaster. And while I am glad I have a generator and fuel, to get me through something like that, I am also glad I have the firepower to keep it, and other important things like water, food, basic medical needs, etc., where it belongs. With me.

~I may not be as good as I once was. But I'm as good once as I ever was.~

Look into alternative meds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads