JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is there a push or call to change their name?
I understand that they are indeed called "ground squirrels" ...but many folks around where I live just call 'em "Whistle Pigs" 'cause of the noise they can make...Not to appease anyone or a certain group...

I do however dislike the trend or desire to change the name of something , just 'cause a person or group feel they need to be hurt , offended , outraged etc...at the actual name of the item , animal , activity or action...

Not to say that if the original name or term was indeed made to be , from the start to be hurtful , it shouldn't be changed*...but this pushing of a set of values that are not the norm for the vast majority of folks or just 'cause its trendy and of no real worth , is wrong.
*Change in current usage...but not edited out of , say period texts , or historic works or documents...those people wrote what they did...it is unfair to place a 21st century judgment or mindset on someone from say the 19th century...
But that is a topic best left to a different thread...
Andy

we don't need to change the name to whistle pigs or sage rats to think we are appeasing the anti hunters. There called ground squirrels. Lol
There are three critters of this type that often end up on the wrong end of a one-way range.
Not one.

Whistle Pig = Marmot/Rock Chuck (most common - Rock Chuck)
Sage rat/Squeak = Belding's ground squirrel (most common - sage rat)
Ground Squirrel/digger squirrel/gray digger = California Ground Squirrel (most common - digger or gray digger)

In bold is what hunters call them.
Haven't heard of any "movement" to change names such as in the Squawfish "thing".

Do we have marmots in Oregon? It is fun to say whistle pig, I would opt for that field cleansing over sage rats.

Whistling-Pig-Kettle.jpg

Also, we have Red Diggers in E. OR. I don't know what the official name is tho.

BTW, after Fergie's rendition of the National Anthem... maybe she thought she was singing something else???

I can understand changing the name of something if it's for a good reason, like a street to a war heros name or the like is A.O.K. but some of them I just don't get... Like the word Squaw.. There was the Squaw fish, now the pike minnow?
and there was a creek that runs along the far end of my uncles ranch in sisters, Or that was called Squaw Creek, now they call it
"Whychus Creek".... because it was too derogatory... stupid snowflake crybaby BS! what is so offensive about a native american word for woman? They somehow tied it to the Mohawk word "ojiskwa", which means vagina.... no relation to the Massachusetts Algonquian word "squaw", but ignorance prevails.

Same uncles ranch as mentioned above was a great place to shoot ground squirrels back before they started broadcast baiting... We always called them Sage Rats. Maybe we felt better shooting nasty "rats" than Alvin, Simon and Theodore. wait.. they were Chipmunks... oh well...potato/tomato:p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top