JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Plan for the most likely scenario first, least likely last. Prioritize it with the law of 3's. For me that puts gas low on the list but still there.

Yeah, I read a lot of SHTF vehicles threads/posts and laugh. Seems so many think that a SHTF scenario means you get to go wheeling in the hills :s0112:

If you want to have gas to get out of town then have a plan where you are going to. Know how much fuel it takes to get there (in the vehicle you plan to drive) and buy enough steel gas cans to accommodate that drive. Rotate that gas every 6 months. Better pad your calculations by a good 25% as in Katrina, the roads were so crowded people ran out of gas while idling in traffic. Also factor in any load you may carry with you which may affect your MPH (towing a trailer for example).

Happy prepping!!!

Get a horse, ride a bike, plan to walk. A gassed up vehicle is a tool to get you out of town. All you need is enough gas to get you to your final destination. Your not going to be driving around town in a SHTF situation. If you dont have a final destination dont go!

I here a lot of talk about what kind of SHTF vehicle to use but does any one remember what Katrina did to our gas supply? and that was just one hurricane in one state.

Not a problem.....:cool:

BugOutBike.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, doesn't the octane rating degrade fairly fast? There is a shelf life. Anyone know what it is?

Thats why you get the Marine stabilizer. Its made to work with the ethanol that we are forced to have in our gas. My grandpa always said, only put super/premium fuel in your gas cans. And so I do. Besides, I only run my 4runner on it as I can muck with the timing to get a little more power out of it.

Not a problem.....:cool:

I hope you bought that at Olson's. ;)

Oh, and +1 on the bike thing. At first it might suck, but after a few weeks of riding, going 10-20miles on the road is nothing.

BugOutBike.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No really, when the motor is running at idle it turns the wheels at 15mph. Hit the throttle and it does 35mph. 49cc and legal as a moped in oregon.

jj

Yup, got it for my birthday a couple years ago. It gets me away from most of the road hunters in the fall and really lets me put in some good scouting in the summer. Everyone in our family has an off-road capable bike just in case....

yeah, I have a garage full of kona's. Still need to get a cross country type bike built up as all mine are for going off jumps or downhill really fast. Kinda need to practice what I preach.

Unfortunately, doesn't the octane rating degrade fairly fast? There is a shelf life. Anyone know what it is?

According to <broken link removed> :

Chevron gasoline can be stored for a year without deterioration when the storage conditions are good -- a tightly closed container, moderate temperatures, and out of direct sunlight.

Chevron recommends that gasoline not be stored unnecessarily. A supply that won't be needed for several months should be used and replenished when the need reoccurs.

Personally, I rotate my gas every 6-9 months. I only store premium fuel & I've noticed that gas mileage is terrible if it sits around long enough. I store about ten gallons, which won't get me very far, but will cover my needs for temporary unavailability like the ice/snow storm that happened here a few years back. Longer than that? Get a horse.

I have 3 5-gallon gas cans that I fill up and rotate early every month, so my oldest gasoline is no more than 3 months old. I don't use stabilizer. Thanks for the warnings above about premium keeping better than regular or plus.
Bicycles: If SHTF, yup, they will be treasures indeed.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top