JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Doubles as a feed plot for the deer so you have meat to go with the berries and apples. I just plan on staying put with apple, pear, cherry, and plum trees on my place.

huckleberries are a rather finicky plant, plus they need to be up high. Red huckleberries are pretty much everywhere out in the coast range. There is a weird blue type that I have found, but unless they are in full sun (very rare) their berries taste terrible. But yeah, I have though about doing the same thing behind my house on the metro land. Its already over run with blackberry patches, just need a bunch of miners lettuce (if it will grow here) and some other low key food stuffs. I really need to just go take one of those wild foods classes. But really you'd be amazed at how many plants there are on the sides of roads and in vacant land that you can eat. Heck, just let the dandelions take over your yard and you can eat good for you greens all summer long.

I think this is an awesome idea. If I'm not mistaken, I think some hunter gatherer tribes used/use this approach to supplement their diet.

It's been embraced by some parts of the hippie / urban homesteading set as well. Google yourself up 'seed bombing' or 'guerrilla gardening' for some pretty useful information.

Garden carefully though. I was all set to seed bomb some abandoned land near my house, until I learned how polluted it is.

Better get started. Fruit trees can take a long time to get going and the deer are **** on them when the trees are young. I've got 7 year old Apple trees that are just starting to produce. I have had good luck with Frost Peaches and Cherry trees. Otherwise, it seems to be hit and miss from year to year. Weather, location, and knowledge all play a huge part in getting successful fruit trees.

And with BBQ Sauce, I will love them as well.:s0112:

With some cherries or huckleberries growing, you can let some wild ferment a little and then make some killer BBQ sauce!

Better get started. Fruit trees can take a long time to get going and the deer are **** on them when the trees are young. I've got 7 year old Apple trees that are just starting to produce. I have had good luck with Frost Peaches and Cherry trees. Otherwise, it seems to be hit and miss from year to year. Weather, location, and knowledge all play a huge part in getting successful fruit trees.

That's no BS...I planted three apple trees 1-1/2 yr ago and all they've done is become deer food. I can't keep the deer away from them (need to try a fence next). I'm half tempted to get a bow and use the trees as bait this next fall...

huckleberries are a rather finicky plant, plus they need to be up high. Red huckleberries are pretty much everywhere out in the coast range. There is a weird blue type that I have found, but unless they are in full sun (very rare) their berries taste terrible. But yeah, I have though about doing the same thing behind my house on the metro land. Its already over run with blackberry patches, just need a bunch of miners lettuce (if it will grow here) and some other low key food stuffs. I really need to just go take one of those wild foods classes. But really you'd be amazed at how many plants there are on the sides of roads and in vacant land that you can eat. Heck, just let the dandelions take over your yard and you can eat good for you greens all summer long.

I grew up in the mountains of N. Idaho...nothing beats the big purple huckleberries growing up there. Except maybe the bears that are eating those berries!

Many of your older homes had fruit trees to the south of the house, provides shade in the winter and when the leaves fall allows the sun through. I know my grandmother has used every trick in the book to keep the deer away from her roses. She gave up two years ago. Any unattended plants or veggies will be fair game for the deer, need to post a century on a roaming and random foot patrol through out the evening. If you stay on a predicted path at a predicted time the deer will figure it out and know when to eat. Irritating isn't it?

SF-

Regular sprinkling of Blood Meal seems to work well for keeping the deer away from plants and flowers - of course then I need to use the shock collar to keep the dogs away. ;)

Three T-posts ~ 2-3 feet apart in a triangle and some chicken wire will help keep the deer away from the young trees. Doesn't look great but it works.

I've got 8 year old plums that haven't done anything yet. Some trees take a long time before they become productive. I planted most of my trees around 8 years ago and they are just starting to get going. I spray them occasionally and have had some die from disease.

These guys have a good variety of NW hardy fruit, nut, and berry plants: Raintree Nursery, fruit, nut and berry plants for the American fruit grower

Look for stuff that is "known" good in the NW.

Try potatos...I threw in some reds in my back yard and they grew like wildfire. It would take deer a little bit more effort to dig out potatos than all that top growing stuff.

Same here.. I am still harvesting mine here in mid Feb of the next year. They can survive winters and even hoarfrost. If you leave the little guys that are less than 1 inch diameter you will be assured of continuing crops.. be sure to add compost on top every few years in the spring. Your harvesting during the winter is enough dirt turning for the year. Curry, potato soup, casseroles and french fries all fall, winter and into early spring MMMM

I do have to keep my Rotties away, they love potatoes (we always share leftovers in their meals) but of course they don't know they cannot digest the uncooked ones

Cool idea. Garlic, oregano and chives should perennialize and give you some spice options and offer a little deer protection (well, not the oregano but that will flavor from the inside). Asparagus and artichoke may also work depending on your location.

I grew up in the mountains of N. Idaho...nothing beats the big purple huckleberries growing up there. Except maybe the bears that are eating those berries!

Same here we would always go pick huckleberries in the summer when we were camping. The ones in ID were great. I have had some red ones that were really really good from the coast range, but not quite the same. Again they need the full sun and all that. Last couple years have been crap up on hood for the huckleberries, but I need to find new grounds to pick this year.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top