JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Apparently this law requires mental health workers to report their patients to the police "if they are thinking of harming themselves or others". The police will then revoke their gun registration and (presumably) confiscate.

KING5.com | Seattle Breaking News Video - KINGS5.com

I know a psychiatrist, and he says practically all responses to "Do you ever have thoughts of suicide?" are non-zero on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator.

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator does not have any questions like that on it. Therapists are already required to report such things in most states.

As another user here noted (who is apparently a physician), reporting anything would send his liability premiums through the roof for his business. Therefore, true compliance may be sporatic.

Moreover, I think the new NY State legislation conflicts with Federal HIPAA privacy regulations (including those introduced by Democrat Harry Reid as part of Obamacare).

Peter

As another user here noted (who is apparently a physician), reporting anything would send his liability premiums through the roof for his business. Therefore, true compliance may be sporatic.

Moreover, I think the new NY State legislation conflicts with Federal HIPAA privacy regulations (including those introduced by Democrat Harry Reid as part of Obamacare).

Peter

That was me. If I was in NY I would be telling them to F off. It is already required that we report if someone is actively a danger. Like if a patient said "Im going to go home and shoot my family and myself, and there is nothing you can do" then I would call the police. That's there so the patient can be kept safe.

But Im only a primary care doc and I probably have 2-3 patients a week who feel so depressed they feel suicidal. They just feel helpless and I have not had anyone actual act on those thoughts yet. The quality and quantity of mental health providers in my area is crap (one part time psychiatrist for the entire county and he is a whack job himself) so I end up seeing a lot of them. No way would I report all of them. They can come arrest me. I work for my patients, Im not going to comply with some sort of state sponsored "inform on your patients" gestapo crap.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top